• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors AWC Ultra II

Early Cuyler

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2011
WB, GA
So I'm pretty much set on a AWC Ultra II in CZ452. I have researched the crap out of AWC, CZ452, the Ultra II, and integral suppressors in general. I've watched ton of videos on how quiet they are, BUT I haven't seen a video comparing the sound of a bolt action integrally suppressed firing and dry firing.

One of the biggest claims I have heard/read is that a 22LR suppressor is SO quiet all you hear is the hammer fall. Anyone know of a video demonstrating this with a bolt Ultra II? I saw one with 10/22 but not a bolt....

Thanks in advance

Re: AWC Ultra II

Oh, RollingThunder, master of GoogleFu, please gaze into your crystal keyboard and locate a video of someone dry firing an integrally suppressed bolt action 22lr after firing a few live rounds. Because I sure as hell can't find it.

I shot a bolt action AWC Integral that 762frmafr had at Rifles Only at the Bash. We were firing full power bulk box ammo. It was the quietest .22 I've ever heard. All I could do was bust out laughing when I shot it. It was amazing.

I've got an AWC Integral 10/22 moving through the system and after shooting that rifle I can't wait until I have it in hand.

I didn't dry fire it. Buy it you'll fall in love after one round.

That's what I would have said...

Crappy, but here you go. The dry fire sound....wait a minute, nope thats the live round sound.

Not half as fun as the head shaking laughter that normally transpires. Yes its the loudest thing you hear.

Click on it, turn up the volume, sorry about the speed, it appears in short clips on Photo Bucket sometimes. Remember, all recorded sound is useless, including this one.

But, you can hear the difference between the bolt slap of the 10/22 and lack of any action noise in the 77/22, now what does that tell you?

I've fired several AWC Ultra II's over the years and they have always been my favorite. Five of my friends own one, and I've fired a few others since one of my best friends is a class III dealer. I finally broke down and ordered one for myself several months ago. My dealer called when it came in and asked if I wanted to come over and try it out, and I couldn't wait to get off work and head over. As my luck would have it, 50-60% of the rounds were going supersonic. I'd have a round or two that was pretty quiet and then have some that weren't much quieter than an unsuppressed .22lr. My dealer got his Ultra II out of the safe and we fired it. It had the legendary "tick" sound that sold me on one of these years ago.

The dealer called AWC and explained the situation, AWC says they don't understand how this can be since they test fire every one before leaving the shop. They also wanted to know what elevation we were at and what type ammo we fired. AWC said to ship it back so we did. That's been a couple of months ago, and still no word. Dealer made one call last month to check on the status and was told that it's in the back being worked on.

This has been my experience so far and in no way am I bashing AWC. And to the OP, the Ultra II is the quietest weapon I've ever heard! Til mine showed up at least.

You are a patient man, I would have been spitting fire after week three. I would call Chris Short directly and ask him where it is and when you are going to get it back.

Please let us know.

Stopped by today and fired a few rounds through the Ultra and I couldn't be any happier! This thing is amazingly quiet!

Thanks AWC for a great product and taking care of your customers!
cool.gif

I HAVE a bolt ( ruger not CZ ) 22 with an AWC - bought it from 762frmafr. WIth sub's ( I like the 60 grain ) it is scary click quiet. Most of the high velocity rounds still crack, but hey - I got it to shoot the heavy subs in anyway.

You will love yours.

Mikee, your rifle should be LOUDER with subs than with super sonics. Seriously. Get your rifle back to them if you are truly going supersonic. There is absolutely no reason to shoot subs in an integral and it can cause issues. You want plated 33 grain supersonics as that is what the rig is tuned for. With them it will be quieter than with subs. It has to do with precharging the can.

Uh..... I LIKE shooting heavier boolets thru it. They arrive with.. more authority, when properly placed on target.

My cereal killers ( nephews ) put about 4k rounds thru it over thanksgiving. Guess I ruint it....

Mikee,

Its a great can and you should be able to enjoy it without any incidents of it running supersonic. The Ultra has minimal requirements, but they matter. Those heavier bullets actually are arriving with less authority. Those heavier bullets are having what little gas they have tapped considerably and tapping it just where the powder needs room to burn. They are lobbing out at a fraction of their intended velocity and impact. Not only that, your filling your can with potentially (sub brand determined) some of the cheapest, dirtiest powder produced. And then there are the bullets themselves, they are uncoated/unplated and exactly the wrong thing to throw through an sealed integral.

If you want maximum velocity possible and the highest stability.
If you want maximum force at impact.
If you want maximum range.
If you want the best possible accuracy.
If you want the best suppression results.
If you want to keep the can as clean as possible.
If you want to avoid expensive sub ammo.
If you want to keep your warranty.

Then, yea, you're ruining it. When you care enough to send the very best, send HV plated 33 grains with quality powder.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mikee Booshay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Uh..... I LIKE shooting heavier boolets thru it. They arrive with.. more authority, when properly placed on target.

My cereal killers ( nephews ) put about 4k rounds thru it over thanksgiving. Guess I ruint it.... </div></div>

That makes it sound like it has ports and they clogged over the holiday vacation.

No, he is employing a sarcastic position, and I can understand why he write it.

I am just trying to help here. I just want to be sure he gets the chance to reliably shoot HV's.

Besides, this is not a multi port design. I talked to a guy last year that took his 45,000 rounds with good ammo. At 4,000 rounds, even with crap rounds, it is still getting quieter.