• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AWT Chassis on the way for new project!

jmoney911

Private
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2011
Stumbled upon Applied Weapons Technology this week and decided to order one of their Rem 700 short action chassis systems. They are a newly founded, Veteran owned and operated company who just rolled out a new Long Range Precision Chassis [LRPC] system (currently for the Rem 700 SA and Savage LA). I'll be sure to post a full review once I receive it. If you haven't seen this chassis yet, I suggest you take a look. Their website is: http://www.appliedweaponstech.com/

P.S. Before anyone asks, I am in no way affiliated with AWT :)

Attachments

• 603307_492083094199373_6636844_n.jpg
    603307_492083094199373_6636844_n.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 47
I gotta tell you, I didnt like the AWT chassis idea with its lack of a forend, especially from a positional shooting point of view. With the addition of the extended forend, this chassis is starting to grow on me, I'd like to see one in person.

Update: Received the chassis this weekend from Shane at AWT. I would have received it sooner, but USPS forgot that they actually have to "deliver" the mail rather than just drop off a notice that your package is in your city (that's a whole other story). Nevertheless, my initial impression of the chassis is that this is an extremely well made and D@MN is this thing light*! I honestly thought that someone nabbed the chassis in transit because the box was soooo light when I picked it up from USPS. The fit and finish is topnotch. (*I am in search of a scale in pounds/ounces and will post the weight of the chassis with and without my barreled action asap.)

Installation of my barreled receiver to the AWT chassis was stupid simple. The barreled receiver dropped right in (as to be expected) and fit like a glove. I intended to add some install pictures to this review, but honestly there is no reason to show me torque down two 3/16 hex screws to 65in lbs. It honestly took me longer to open up the box than to assemble the chassis and install my barreled receiver.

The chassis is extremely balanced with the VTR attached. The balance point is basically just in front of the magazine well. I can't wait to see how this balance translates to the range/hunting. What I also noticed right off the bat was the perfect placement of the magazine release. My hands are not that big (I wear large gloves) and I can easily manipulate the magazine release with my trigger finger while maintaining a solid grip on the pistol grip. Unlike my M5 DBM, the magazine does not rattle in the chassis (Win goes to AWT Chasis vs my McMillan A3 and M5 DBM combo in that category). Speaking of the grip, some people have asked if I am going to replace to hogue grip that it came with. Short answer: No. I don't really see a reason, at least not right now to replace it. That all may change after shooting/hunting with it, but we shall see.

The stock is highly adjustable for LOP and cheek height. Two hex screws can be loosened under the cheek rest to adjust LOP and the knurled wheel adjusts the cheek piece up and down. There is a large range of adjustment on the cheek piece to accommodate anyone running a top rail such as a MARs or McCann rail.

The forearm is removable by 4 hex screws on either side of the chassis. At first I wasn't sure which configuration I was going to like (forearm on or off), but after handling the chassis I do like the feel and balance of rifle with the forearm attached. Additionally, there are several tapped and threaded holes on the top of the rail... AWT didn't confirm this but I see a picatinny rail adapter for NVG/thermal or other top rail accessories in this chassis' future. What Shane at AWT did confirm was that a folding adapter for the stock is in the works and is currently being tested. I will definitely be ordering that when it is available.

Now all that's left to do is shoot it! Stay tuned :)

Last edited:
Thinking about getting one of these chassis. Wish more people would enter the group buy though. I was curious how much your rifle weighs exactly the way you have it pictured w/ the bipod? Also does it come with an AI magazine? Those mags are way over priced don't you think? Sweet looking rifle jmoney911.

The VTR barrel matches the AWT even better. I thought I would use a two piece scope mount as well. After seeing your setup, I'd use a one piece. Your rifle looks great!

BTW, the standard Rem 700 bolt knob looks right at home on the AWT chassis.

Last edited:
I really like the look of it as well and would be in on a group buy. Hopefully someone with some juice on here can make that happen.;)

There was one recently and we just received an email that they will be ready soon-ish.

It needs to be smoother, rods and hooks sticky out. To me that stock would grab gear and foliage like no other. I remember the chassis intro thread here, owner seemed to listen to input which is good. 995 for a fixed chassis, way to high, i'll take a krg or aics or McRee at that price point.

It needs to be smoother, rods and hooks sticky out. To me that stock would grab gear and foliage like no other. I remember the chassis intro thread here, owner seemed to listen to input which is good. 995 for a fixed chassis, way to high, i'll take a krg or aics or McRee at that price point.
I have a savage with bolt release on trigger guard so my options are limited. A big plus is Shane who
I believe to be the owner answered an email I sent In. Minutes usually these manufacturers will get back to you in a few days/ mths. I agree the price is a bit high and if compared to the xlr chassis their buttstock looks alot more solid. My only problem with the xlr is that stupid tube I don't need that tube on my bolt gun its not an AR I don't plan on running anything up front and having to cut my base limits my ring mounting. I would of really liked the MDT LSS perfect price point and solid but no luck would have to make it that I couldn't remove my bolt with out removing the chassis every time.

Last edited:
It's not a bad chassis, it could just be a little smoother. I would like to see the weight on this thing, to me it looks like 4.5-5 lbs easy. I got a McRee folder with stockpack and 5 rd McRee mag for 725, it was the Christmas special in april 2012. The xray from krg will be stupid popular because the weight and price. An aics1.5 is 875ish, love it or hate it,that is the benchmark in chassis. Is this stock tougher or better, don't know but time will tell. I applaud the owner for his customer service and willingness to listen. If he wanted to really carve a niche of the market he should look into howa and tikka. No howa chassis and just xlr and krg for tikka. Everybody and their brother make a chassis for the 700, that market is completely saturated. He needs to have a hell of a good price or offer something that sets his 700 chassis apart from the rest of the pack, IMHO.