• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

AX aics stocks and some aftermarket recoil lugs.

RWSGunsmithing

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 26, 2006
    Manning, Iowa
    www.rwsgunsmithing.com
    Just a FYI for everyone.

Well after receiving one of my stocks that I have on order I decided to try and drop one of my barreled actions in to see how it fit. Well to my surprise the barreled action will not fit. It's hitting on the sides of my recoil lug <span style="text-decoration: line-through">and the stock sides in that area are already thin so there's no way for it to fit without haveing to machineing it and therefore you'll see the sides of the lug</span>. The other option is to machine the lug to fit.

The action and lug are defiance made. The width of the lug at it's widest part measures 1.3 and tapers to the bottom and measures 1.235 at the bottom of the lug.

I tried a few other lugs and they look like there'll work with little to no mods to anything.

Update 11-04-11 I was able to machine the stock to fit the lug. I didn't have to remove as much as first thought only about .030 off each side and the handguard also had to be machined in that area to fit.

Re: AX aics stocks and some aftermarket recoil lugs.

Yep, the Badger lug won't fit either. As you already stated you have to either contour the lug or mill out the chassis.

We built a rifle on a new Stiller MK13 action and it popped right into the AX no problems. We're building another rifle today on a Pierce action and AX short-action chassis. The Pierce lug fits just fine.

Mark

While you guys are check lugs, could you as well check some other trigger setups as well such as the Timney, Jewell, etc (side safety models of course) and post so we can gather as much information for customers as possible? Thank you for the information all helps.

OK you gurus help a newbie rifle builder out.

Please explain what advantage an oversized lug would have to a rifle intended to go in a chassis. I know some are bedding the lug on AI stocks and some are not. My understanding is the point to an oversized lug is more surface area for bedding a stock.

I get the reasons for using a precision ground lug to keep eveything squared up as opposed to the OEM lug thats poorly machined. My question is for a ground up build (which I'm starting soon) why not use a precision ground OEM sized lug if the rifle is intended to go into a AI stock? I recall Holland and possibly others made precision ground OEM sized lugs which I would assume be a 100% drop in fit for an AI stock.

As always thanks for the gouge

A06

In my experience the oversized lugs serve no real purpose with the AICS systems. The lugs themselves are not all created equal of course. With the composite stocks they allow you the obvious larger surface contact to work with and allowances to modify them for overall cosmetic appearances as well. With the chassis systems, the oversized lugs in my experience have created more little issues, modifications and questions than true advantages. If you use a precision ground OEM lug with the AICS systems you will be perfectly fine. Hope this helps as always.

The first AX chassis we built a gun on was a prototype long action. It needed letting for the CG X-TREME single stage trigger which has a fairly pronounced safety. The AX we are working on now is a current revision short action and appears to have a little more room for the aftermarket triggers. This one is getting the same trigger, so I will let you know if the inlet is necessary when we get it together.

Heres a few pics of a .300 win mag i,ve finished today. Its built on my own Valkyrie action which has an oversized, pinned lug. I just milled out the socket and bedded the action.
    No problems.

IMG_1052.jpg

IMG_1054.jpg

Nice Action Baldie, Yorkshire all the way !!

if there a difference in the 8 sided AX tube that is included with the AX chassis when it comes to LA and SA. that looks like a SA tube on a LA chassis, you can see the locating pin and the LA tube /chassis i have here comes further back than the one in that pic ???

When you think about the original AICS needed machining for anything but the thin remmy lug, i wouldnt worry about opening anything up for lugs. We have made our RCS II wide enough ( front to back) for any after market lug. but, through an oversight did end up realising that some after market lugs are wider sided to side than fit our Raptor chassis.

its neither here nor there when its a rifle build, but its a pain the the lug when its a drop in stock.

by the way, ive an interesting bipod design for the AX chassis. must be the 1st ever non AI accessory for the new AX chassis.
    fits in the end of the tube sort of TRG / windrunner like lowering the centre of gravity. Will be on sale as soon as the patent / copyright is through.

rgds Pete

There is a small piece of tube supplied with the stock which fills that gap. I did,nt fit it because it covered the weapons proof marks, and also interfered with the rail.
    The barrel is a 30" tube, which makes that forend around half that. The customer brought the stock in so i dont know what he asked for originaly, but i reckon its a long action tube.

Hi Baldie, yep you will be right,wouldnt make sence for AI to make 2 different tubes when you think about it, ive an AX chassis here but only took the tube out the package to get the measurements for the bipod adaptor, there is a block in the rest of the parts too.

good point about covering proof marks, thats something that our US cousins dont have to worry about eh. if your building on that chassis a lot maybe you can get the proof house to do the marks further forward where you can see em through the holes in the tube ?? all best Pete