• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AX or AICS 2.0 w/ viperskins

cox308

BAMF
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2011
United States, Hawaii
I am trying to decide between the new AX AICS or the Classic AICS 2.0/viperskin combo. They are both about the same price. This is for my next build which will be a short action most likely a 6.5x47 Lapua. Action will be a Stiller Tac 30 and barrel is a Barlien 26" #7 contour.

I'm kind of leaning towards the AICS 2.0 w/ viperskins because it looks a little better IMO and I still have my Atlas with spigot from my last AICS.

Which would you go with and why? Is there any advantages with one over the other?Thanks in advance!

Re: AX or AICS 2.0 w/ viperskins

AX! Got my new rifle with the AICS, and sold it to fund the AX chassis. I just love the way it looks, and feels! The only down side of the AX is you need HI rings for your scope.

Man thats a tough choice when you really think about it. The only real difference between the two at that point is the AX has the full rail setup while the AW with Vipers doesn't.

I like the AX more and when i get mine it will be on the AX for sure.

That is a tough choice. I would go AI with viper skins. The skins are really awesome. And if for some reason on a reckless streak you decide to chance colors or something it can happen with the AI with viperskins.

I had an AICS 1.5 and now have the AICS AX.... It is the most comfortable stock I've shot with so far, really happy with how it all turned out.

Don't think you'd be hard done by either way, despite not ever seeing viper skins in person they look great too... Probably a Win/Win situation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AX! Got my new rifle with the AICS, and sold it to fund the AX chassis. I just love the way it looks, and feels! The only down side of the AX is you need HI rings for your scope.</div></div>

How high on the rings (since everyone uses different measurements)? I just got my AX, my Nightforce 3.5-15x50 is inbound and I need to get a mount.

I have an AICS now and with have handled the AX a while back my preference would lean towards stepping "up" to the AX if making a change or buying another AI product.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the original AICS but progression, options, and weight plays a part so the AX gets my vote.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr15match</div><div class="ubbcode-body">options, and weight plays a part so the AX gets my vote. </div></div>

Isn't the AX heavier??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Strojo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AX! Got my new rifle with the AICS, and sold it to fund the AX chassis. I just love the way it looks, and feels! The only down side of the AX is you need HI rings for your scope.</div></div>

How high on the rings (since everyone uses different measurements)? I just got my AX, my Nightforce 3.5-15x50 is inbound and I need to get a mount.
</div></div>

I have the same scope and I had to go with a 0 MOA base and high rings from Luepold to keep the bell off the shroud. I still don't think I'm going to be able to get scope covers on.

I had to make a similar decision recently, between buying an AI AE or AX, and I chose the AE MKIII. I don't like that I have to mount the scope higher on the AX, that was the major factor. Plus, I like where the spigot puts my bipod, and I can still put stuff (DLOC, handstop) on the underside of my AE. Now that the Viperskins are available for AIs, I am planning on getting a set. In my mind it's the best of both worlds.

Isn't the AX heavier?? [/quote]

Actually, I believe the AX is lighter if you are comparing AX vs AICS 2.0. Not by much though.

Don't own an AX, do own an AICS w/ Viper Skins...

That said, I would go AICS and Skins. It will run you about 2-300 bucks cheaper as I've not seen the AX for less than 1200 bones. The AIVS (Accuracy International with Viper Skins) has the same ergonomics and is an excellent upgrade for the stock AICS chassis.

Because the barrel is open on the top you can mount the scope lower. If you are a gadget junkie and have a few thousand dollars worth of NV and IR illumination equipment there is a rail kit available for the AIVS. There are also existing options for mounting a NV scope with additional solutions in the works that work with the Atlas spigot.

The AIVS doesn't have the open sided magwell, however that's only a benefit if you are using the stock, and quite long, AI mags. The Alpha mags compress the same number of rounds into a more compact package that you can load while still pretty low to the ground.

Unless you are dying for the latest thing, or you literally have a ton of crap you want to hang on the handguard, I don't see the point of the AX over the AIVS. Again, thats not owning an AX, but I have held and looked over a complete AX rifle. Again, wasn't that impressed, certainly not for the added price premium.

Rich

I have an AICS and am on still on the fence about ordering the Viperskins. Basically waitng for more reviews and justifying the money lol. That being said I agree with LawnMM. Why spend all that money on basically the same thing unless you just want to have the newest toy. I would go with the AICS and purchase the Viperskins. Michael is from what I have heard an outstanding guy to deal with and if thier are any problems he will take care of you. Also I have read and seen the quality of the fit of the plastic skins are hit and miss. Are the AX systems the same or is thier better QC? Take the rest of the money you would have spent and sink that into good glass if you dont allready have or N.V. depending on your use or buy you a nice 1911 to go with it lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zebra308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">. Also I have read and seen the quality of the fit of the plastic skins are hit and miss. </div></div>

I have not heard nor read any were that way.
Mine were perfect.

purchased a new AICS 1.5 stock from Midway this week and just received it yesterday.

The fit and finish of the plastic sides is really not up to where I thought a $900 stock would be. In the really crappy picture below, you can see how the plastics fit together in the trigger guard area.

Additionally, inside the barrel channel, there appears to be casting imperfections running an area of 3-4 inches.

Will either of these issues affect the function? Probably not, but I expected more.

Is this normal for these stock systems? I'm going to try to see if I can adjust the fitment of the plastics today, but I'm not sure I'll be able to.
********Look in theSnipers Hide Equiptment Section Page 2 posted by Magnus357 on 09/17/11

I think the fit on Mike's skins is better than the regular ones that come on the chassis. Mike's fit nice and tight, so much so that the rear screw mod that comes with instructions really isn't necessary in my opinion.

Yeah I am waiting until next pay day and ordering the Viperskins and side rails. I swear ever since I became a Hide member I have learned alot and spent alot lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zebra308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> purchased a new AICS 1.5 stock from Midway this week and just received it yesterday.

The fit and finish of the plastic sides is really not up to where I thought a $900 stock would be. In the really crappy picture below, you can see how the plastics fit together in the trigger guard area.

Additionally, inside the barrel channel, there appears to be casting imperfections running an area of 3-4 inches.

Will either of these issues affect the function? Probably not, but I expected more.

Is this normal for these stock systems? I'm going to try to see if I can adjust the fitment of the plastics today, but I'm not sure I'll be able to.
********Look in theSnipers Hide Equiptment Section Page 2 posted by Magnus357 on 09/17/11 </div></div>
Dude, its not a $900 set of skins... its a $100 set of skins and a $800 chassis.

While i haven't handled the AX, it seemes like a marked improvement over the AICS on paper.

The top rail covers mirage, and the side accessible magwell are nice improvements.

By the time you buy the spigot and extra rails, you're not far off in price for the AX.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RicosRevenge</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zebra308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> purchased a new AICS 1.5 stock from Midway this week and just received it yesterday.

********Look in theSnipers Hide Equiptment Section Page 2 posted by Magnus357 on 09/17/11 </div></div>
Dude, its not a $900 set of skins... its a $100 set of skins and a $800 chassis. </div></div>

I wasnt the one who had a problem with thier AICS, did you see the bottom where Magnus357 posted his issue about it on the Equiptment Page? I just copied what he said in response to answering Smschulz when he stated that he had not read or seen any issues. I took the post from Magnus357 to answer him.

If you are going to do a lot of unsupported shooting (actually holding the rifle) then I think you will enjoy the Viperskins more.

If you are planning on mounting NV down the road, then the AXCS will save you some money and trouble.

Since you already have a spigot mount bipod then the AICS is the way to go.

The fit on the Viperskins is excellent however you are still limited by the material in question.

I just got a set of the AE specific FDE skins in. I am going to try to get a review done before SHOT, but no guarantees.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/35qYte7x_q8&hd=1"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/35qYte7x_q8&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Strojo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AX! Got my new rifle with the AICS, and sold it to fund the AX chassis. I just love the way it looks, and feels! The only down side of the AX is you need HI rings for your scope.</div></div>

</div></div>
1.265 for 50mm and 1.375 for 56mm Nightforce rings on the AI AX chassis

What he ^ said.. I got the NF 56mm and needed the NF 1.375 rings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ultraman550</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Strojo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AX! Got my new rifle with the AICS, and sold it to fund the AX chassis. I just love the way it looks, and feels! The only down side of the AX is you need HI rings for your scope.</div></div>

</div></div>
1.265 for 50mm and 1.375 for 56mm Nightforce rings on the AI AX chassis </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ultraman550</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1.265 for 50mm and 1.375 for 56mm Nightforce rings on the AI AX chassis </div></div>

This is another major factor for me since My NF is a 5.5x22x56 and my rings are 1.265. I'd have to get the taller rings to fit on the AX
smirk.gif

My smith (gruningprecision) is building me a custom 20 MOA base for My AX chassis that will allow me to run normal rings. Not the super tall ones. My base will be the first, but he intends on making it available for purchase. FYI, It will be a steel base.

I had the chance to get down behind an R700 in an AX and in Viperskins today. the Viperskins were hands down more ergonomic and more comfortable. From my short amount of time behind them today my conclusion is that I'd rather use a Badger mount for NV on the AICS/Viperskins than use the AX.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George Mac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had the chance to get down behind an R700 in an AX and in Viperskins today. the Viperskins were hands down more ergonomic and more comfortable. From my short amount of time behind them today my conclusion is that I'd rather use a Badger mount for NV on the AICS/Viperskins than use the AX.
</div></div>
Those are my thoughts as well. Since I would't put any of the rails to use I figured why have the tube up front in the first place. If a top rail was needed I'd just buy the NV adapter.

Does anyone know if the AX AICS has the quick adjust cheek rest and LOP like the AIAX rifles do?? It looks like it has the old style with the 2 screws for the cheek rest and the add and remove spacers for the LOP. Can anyone confirm?

Cox380....

First off, I'm running a NF 5.5-22x56 on my AX chassis and the 1.26" rings will clear it just fine. You do NOT need them any higher. I bought the Vortex PMR's in the 1.26" height. These are made by Seekins.

Second, the cheek adjustment is just like on the regular AICS, except it has a Allen head screw instead of the thumb wheel screws (or atleast mine does anyway). Also, the butt is only adjustable in LOP with the plastic spacers. It does not have the internal adjustment like the AIAX rifles.

Here is a pic showing my 56mm NF with the 1.26" rings. These worked out great on this setup. I typically have a much higher comb height than most to get a good cheek weld, but on this setup, it came out just perfect where I only have to raise the cheek piece about 3/4" to get the weld I need. If you are one of those guys that can't live without Butler Creek craps on your scope, you'll have to sand down the bottom of the from objective cap to get it to clear. I personally hate them however and don't use them.

bf60180d.jpg

76e0a761.jpg

Thanks Trevor. I'm pretty sure I've made up my mind and decided to go with the AX. That good to hear that my 1.265 NF rings should work with my NF 5.5-22x56. I should have the a chassi ordered in the next day or so. I do run the BC caps but I have no problem ditching them or modding them. I wouldn't want to run higher rings just the the caps. Thats for sure!

What kind of Action and rail are you running there?

This is just my opinion and only my opinion, but If you have been using a classic AI for a long period of time as I have you may not like the AX. I got one a while back and it now just sits in my house because I could just never get comfortable with it. I would shoot them both next to each other and it always felt like such a relief to get back on the classic as I just could never get stable on the AX. The reasons for this I believe are the fact that everything is higher. The center of gravity is higher do to no spigot for bipod. The scope is higher do to the need for higher rings because of the forearm. If you dont shoot matches and have time to get use to it then go for it, but if you shoot matches on a regular bases I would strongly recommend sticking with what you are use to.

I really did want to like it ,because it is a really nice stock with some really nice features. I even shot with it in a match and although it didnt affect my shooting to much I was never comfortable. Now to the biggest problem I had with it. While shooting it in the one match I used it I found it extremely difficult to maneuver the stock in and out of ports and the like. It just has too tall of a foot print for my liking and made getting in and out of positions and ports much more difficult than they would have been with my standard AI stocks.

As I said it is a really nice stock,but it just isnt for me. I will however continue to run standard AI's