• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AX Owners please chime in.

SSG3K

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 31, 2003
    Mi
    Im 99% about getting an AX I tried an AX chasis for about 5 minutes at a match I went to in the fall. I think I liked it but I cant be sure hence the 1% My biggest concern is the pistol grip, My hands fit a legacy gun perfect and the vertical portion of the old stock is lower than my hand. I cannot remember if the AX chasis is shorter or the same in the pistol grip portion? Also does the AX "cramp" your trigger finger or is the spacing to close. The last question with a 5-25-56 SB what size ring and will I need the spacers for the cheek piece? Also which do you prefer the 13 or 16 inch rail? Please post pics if you can.

Thanks again, I do not want to make a $6000+ mistake.

Rich

Re: AX Owners please chime in.

Rich, I own an AX now, owned an AW at the same time. Love both rifles, I like the AX just a bit more, but I certainly miss my AW. It is the one rifle I sold that I regret.

That said, I feel confident that I am experienced enough with both systems to answer your question. I had over 3000 rounds on my AW and have 3000 rounds on my AX since purchasing in February. I believe the front portion of the grip is identical, AX to AW. The trigger reach feels identical to my AW, but unlike the AW the trigger on the AX is adjustable for position. I didn't touch mine, but it has room forward and rear to move.

As for the ring height- an AW pic rail mount requires the BC cap to be sanded to fit on the rifle when using a Bender 5-25x56. I'm not sure what the height is, but it is just a tiny bit lower than the 1.46" tall Spuhr I have on there now, which will clear a Butler with just enough room for a business card. You wont need spacers for the cheek, it is adjustable either with screws, thumbwheel, or a button in the case of the quick adjust. Due to the pic rail height being monolithic with the front rail, the scope does mount higher than an AW (especially when compared to my dovetail AW,) so you will need to run the cheek a bit higher than on an AW.

Feel free to PM me with any further questions. If you find your way to Maine, feel free to put a few hundred rounds though my AX.

-Bob

How is an AI anything a $6k mistake ...

I must be crazy, whether it is my AE, AW, or AX, I just throw scopes on them and run, I like the AX, it feels very good. But then again I don't fret over the small things. Heck I can't say I even notice them.

If you want a weapon designed for war will work in any environment on this earth you'd be hard pressed to find anything better then AI

Not a 6k mistake you are thinking. I did not realize the trigger had f/a. adjustment that fixes thst issue. I had a tube gun prior and i could take it or leave it, seeing how the ax is somewhat similar i just want to be sure before i send the check. I dont care if its made for war or that its the toughest gun in the universe, im gonna take it to the range and just have fun with it. BM thanks for your opinion its what i was looking for. Im gonna keep my aw as im not going to give it away plus i want to.keep it anyway.

Rich

Yeah, do it. You know you want to.

I wish I was 99% certain about <span style="font-style: italic">anything</span>!

I've got two AW's and if I had the moderately guilt free not too committed $6,000, I'd do it too! Really, if it became a "mistake" for you, its not a $6,000 one but maybe only a few hundred or so if you turned around and sold it.

Good luck!

Rich,

I see I missed your last question regarding the 13 vs 16 inch hand tube. I have the 16", and I have no regrets, though with the 13" I could run a 16" barrel if I wanted. With my 18.5 inch barrel I have just enough room for my suppressor to fit on. The upside to the 16" is that I can keep my bipod on and still have a section of rail to attach my DLOC tripod. I'm not sure the 13" would be long enough. I also like my bipod all the way to the front. Finally, I swap my 308 barrel out and run a 28" .243 barrel that already looks stupid with the 16" tube, it would look real ghey with the 13".

-Bob

I love my AX. If there is any sort of detraction i can think of its the weight. Fully kitted out model with 5-25, 10 rds 308 weighs quite a bit more than my scalpel. If it helps, Randy and the gang took care of me over at Mile High Shooting, if you don't have a local dealer give him a call. Real nice folks to do business with.

<span style="font-size: 14pt">Here is mine, This is the most dependable platform offered.
    This is only my opinion and by the looks of all the guns I have sold ( as most of you have seen ) I can say I have used many different rifles.

I always come back to the AI. This one is 6.5 Creedmoor.
    </span>

IMG_3426.jpg

IMG_3428.jpg

I have a 260 AX on order. I dig the stock more than the AICS. Can't wait!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want a weapon designed for war will work in any environment on this earth you'd be hard pressed to find anything better then AI </div></div>

Well said. I have 2 AIAWs, 1 AIAWSM 338 LM and an AIAX 338 LM. I must say the AX takes a little bit of getting used to because of the grip. Its a little bit lighter than mw AWSM, although a full ten round magazine makes up for the weight. So far, I havent regretted getting it.

the thing i like about AI stuff is you can do just about anything to em yourself with a vise. you can change barrels, repair parts, no bedding needed. military spec firearm.

I am not that wrapped with the AX , maybe thats just ME , I seem to like the AW/AWM series better .
    The main point on a AX to me would be IF you are going to run foreward NV/TI optics on IT , other than that , I would go AW series .
    I am that taken with the AK/FAL type mag design or the LH side cut out as well , also disapointing that they did not make a new bipod design for the AX series .

As far as weight goes , I was under the impression that my AX338 was at least 2+ lbs heavier than my AWSM according to AIs brochures .

AW AI dovetail rifles mount lowest , then AW pitcanny rail , and the AX series the highest in scope mounting .

If I had two AI 338s , a AWSM & a AX338 , and had to sell ONE , I would probabily sell the AX , opps , maybe NOT what you wanted to hear .

Later Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THUNDERBOLT68</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-size: 14pt">Here is mine, This is the most dependable platform offered.
    This is only my opinion and by the looks of all the guns I have sold ( as most of you have seen ) I can say I have used many different rifles.

</span>

IMG_3426.jpg

IMG_3428.jpg
    </div></div>

Is that the 13 or 16 inch rail?

Here is a pic of mine, Rich. It was a release model, so all the options, QA everything, etc. It is the 16" handguard, and it has an 18.5 inch barrel, in front of which is a SAS Ti Arbiter in 18x1.5 AI threads. The way the can is threaded it ALMOST touches the handguard with an 18.5 inch barrel. On it is a TAB suppressor cover. Oh, and the gun has a krylon multicam job, done by me.

2011-11-03133706.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SSG3K</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THUNDERBOLT68</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-size: 14pt">Here is mine, This is the most dependable platform offered.

</span>

IMG_3426.jpg

IMG_3428.jpg
    </div></div>

Is that the 13 or 16 inch rail? </div></div>

It is the 13" rail and that is 22" barrel

I guess I'm in the same boat as SSG3K but I am considering the .338 AX, it would be my first AI as well as my first .338. This might seem like a stupid question but when you order the fixed butt pad option is it still adjustable for length of pull by use of spacers?

Also for those of you with the QA butt pad/cheek piece is there any play when locked in position? Have you experienced any issues with either part moving during firing?

I had also heard that the .338 AX was convertible down to .308 but have been unable to find any further info on this. Does anyone know if or when an optional conversion will be offered for the .338 AX to convert down to .308?

Thanks in advance

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HH4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess I'm in the same boat as SSG3K but I am considering the .338 AX, it would be my first AI as well as my first .338. This might seem like a stupid question but when you order the fixed butt pad option is it still adjustable for length of pull by use of spacers?

Also for those of you with the QA butt pad/cheek piece is there any play when locked in position? Have you experienced any issues with either part moving during firing?

<span style="font-weight: bold">I had also heard that the .338 AX was convertible down to .308 but have been unable to find any further info on this. Does anyone know if or when an optional conversion will be offered for the .338 AX to convert down to .308?</span>

Thanks in advance </div></div>

Nothing concrete about it. But I wouldn't expect it anytime soon. Next thing to come out for the AX338 is the 300wm bolt and kinda hoping there will be more info at Shotshow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrtoyz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BM, could we some more pics of your paint?

-T </div></div>
    Sure! Just digging through my photobucket, here is what I found, sorry I didn't take any better:
    2011-05-23182426.jpg

IMAG0199.jpg

2011-05-01163423.jpg

In my opinion the QD features are not really worth the money , the butt spike is maybe the best of the extra features .

Most only have the Fully speced , all options , as these where the 1st rifles available ,so if you wanted a AX ASAP , then you had no option , but to get get as a fully optioned rifle .

this is mine

got this yhe other week havent got to fire it yet been away workin

Attachments

• photo.jpg
      photo.jpg
      97.6 KB · Views: 18
    Was a 308, now a 6.5x47.

Accuracy is stunning.

Barrel is custom fluted Border Archer

Work done by me