• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AX Rear Upgrade Kit for AT rifles

Ha. Buddy sent me the link and I posted it on bolt action forum. Didn’t check to see if someone had posted it....

All good.

What do you think ? We knew it was never going to be a cheap option. I just wish the user could install it. Sending my rifle in sucks.

A few months ago, Tom Irwin from Accuracy International said they had "approved" offering a kit that would be installed by Mile High Shooting. He said that he would have the details for us all after his vacation (May 2017). There was lots of interest!

Only crickets can be heard

Nik, he might have had a long holiday :)

Did you see the link above. It is available.

I just did. Initially I thought it was an aftermarket solution but it seems they are rolling it out over there first so maybe it will be here soon. I would really like to do it but want to be sure that the unbonding and bonding is done in an authorized way. My AT is like a laser and don't want to screw with that.

Tom did say it was going to be expensive so I am not surprised about the cost. It is also folding to the right which is like my present AT Left Hand so that is good as well.

My wallet will hurt once again I guess. It is up for a major hurt this week as I am pulling the trigger on a NF 7-35 with the MIL-C reticle. Haven't done it yet but shopping for price now. Hopefully, this is a few months away from release here.

Thanks for posting it

I figured it would be around $600 which I was willing to pay but no way I will spend $900 on a buttstock. I'd be better off selling the chassis and then buying a post 2014 AX chassis. I just added an adjustable buttstock to my pre14 AX, I can live with it. Plus I have a badger bolt knob and I'm not sure if a right folding stock would work for me.

Since this appears to be complete with a hinge assembly does anyone know if this will work on a non folder AT? I've never had the skins off one to see if the chassis portion is solid front to back on the non folders or not.

I personally don't think the price is bad for what it is, there's a lot of machining and individual parts that make up the PSR/AX butt and AI and their distributors/dealers have to be able to make money too. Consider this:

1. This has a folding hinge which is a $400 option alone on an AT plus you're getting the PSR butt, that's only a $500 difference at that point. If this will work on a non folding AT that's a very cost effective solution.

2. If non folding stocks can be converted and someone already owns an AT folder and wants this, your stock will have a market for resale to someone who purchased a non folder and then realized the benefits of the folder

3. Again assuming non folding stocks could have this installed, retail for a base AT + the converted price from sporting services (not factoring any import fees, taxes, or discounts) puts an AT + the part just under $5K which is over $2K less than the retail of an AX (about $2400 under actually). That's still a huge savings to get you the PSR/AX but which is a major feature on the AX's.

If the conversion won't work on non folders however and someone is buying new anyway this upgrade is about 1/2 of the cost difference between a loaded AT and a AX at street price. At that point I'd still spend the extra cash for the AX and get the Bartlein barrel and the AX forend as well.

If I already owned a AT folder, I'd be doing this conversion. The AX butt's features are extremely beneficial to me for shooting off different supports.

Realistically the cost of the stock should be ~20% less for export. Even if you had to get the AT folder, assuming labor isn't prohibitively expensive, you'd be ahead. Several hundred dollars labor wouldn't be unheard of, but I don't know what all is involved in the bonding/unbonding of the action and chassis.

I guess what it comes down to is do you want an AX rifle or do you want an AT rifle with PSR buttstock and not so much the possible cost savings. Personally I don't like the look of the AX forend, but it can provide some meaningful value...but I echo the sentiment of desire for an MLOK replacement.

I think a rapid adjustment buttstock such as this is very useful for a rifle that has multiple users. Since I'm the only one that shoots my AT, once I got it adjusted for me, I have no need to change it.

Now the appearance of the AX stock is very cool...the utility to single user rifles, not so much.

YMMV,

Harry

One additional cost and hassle to consider will be possibly needing a new tall rail or taller rings for your AT. The AX buttstock is designed to work with the tall continuous rail of the AX, which then needs 1.35-1.50" tall rings for 56mm scopes to clear.

On my AX I use a 1.50" Spuhr mount for my G2 Razor. For my face, where the cheekpiece is adjusted I have approximately 0.25" of available downward adjustment. That means on an AT with the low rail I would need to run a 1.50" mount to use the AX buttstock - and the cheekpiece would be bottomed out.

Reliable sources say it will work on a fixed stock AT

I would buy a fixed stock AT just to do this to it, but then having two short actions would be kinda dumb wouldn't it?

One additional cost and hassle to consider will be possibly needing a new tall rail or taller rings for your AT. The AX buttstock is designed to work with the tall continuous rail of the AX, which then needs 1.35-1.50" tall rings for 56mm scopes to clear.

On my AX I use a 1.50" Spuhr mount for my G2 Razor. For my face, where the cheekpiece is adjusted I have approximately 0.25" of available downward adjustment. That means on an AT with the low rail I would need to run a 1.50" mount to use the AX buttstock - and the cheekpiece would be bottomed out.

Yo Sam,

Good to see you here again. That is something I had not considered. Your AI spigot replacement is going strong!

i didn't explain myself well enough, does the hinge get in the way of peoples hand, in the way of your firing grip?

i didn't explain myself well enough, does the hinge get in the way of peoples hand, in the way of your firing grip?

Honestly, when I was contemplating going from the AT to the AX, I wondered the same thing since I cycle the bolt by camming over the top of the stock with my thumb. I have had zero issues with the hinge getting in the way with the AX.

Waiting to see what the bottom line will be with the install and shipping.

But, does it come in the current AT colors?

I like the fact that it will change a right handed AT that folds left, to one that folds right over the bolt knob. For me this makes it thinner to fit in a pack to carry places, and easier to store in smaller cases.

Due to emotional attachment, I won't ever get rid of the AT, but could see myself spending a good deal to convert it to the right side folding.

I like the fact that it will change a right handed AT that folds left, to one that folds right over the bolt knob. For me this makes it thinner to fit in a pack to carry places, and easier to store in smaller cases.

Due to emotional attachment, I won't ever get rid of the AT, but could see myself spending a good deal to convert it to the right side folding.

I was interested in a LaRue 'Covert' case but as the AT is now it would be awkward. The stock folding to the right should shave off a good deal of width. It would almost be like a new rifle.

I was interested in a LaRue 'Covert' case but as the AT is now it would be awkward. The stock folding to the right should shave off a good deal of width. It would almost be like a new rifle.

Won't removing the bolt from AT and folding it to the left, make it similar to the AX folded to the right, width wise?

Won't removing the bolt from AT and folding it to the left, make it similar to the AX folded to the right, width wise?

Yes, but then you need provisions for not letting the bolt get smacked around in the case.

I am liking the option for right folding for backpack use, so I don't really want more junk being floating around in a pack. In my hardcase it is normally extended, so not as worried about the fold direction.

I would love this for my pre-2014 AX, but the more I think about it, the less I think I can justify it. I never have anyone shoot my rifles for more than a few shots while at the range, so the need for a fully, on the fly, adjustable LOP and cheek-riser just isn't all that important. My 2012 AX has the AI adjustable thumb screws for the cheek-riser so that adjustment is easily covered. That only leaves the LOP and honestly, if I am the only one shooting the rifle seriously why would I need that? Would these options be great to have and welcome, you bet, but they just aren't game changers for me.

In regards to the smaller profile with the stock folded to the right encapsulating the bolt knob, sure that's true, it would make for a smaller foot-print and ease of deployment, but I can remove my bolt and fold the stock to the left and have the same profile. I have the factory Pelican Storm deployment case with the precut foam, so there is a spot in the case where the bolt easily fits. It will take me slightly longer to acquire the bolt and insert it in the rifle, but we are only talking seconds here.

I'd still like to see what they plan to charge for this service, but my guess is more than one can easily justify just to get the quick adjustability and right-side fold. That said, I hope to be wrong and pleasantly surprised.

Tex, its been said what the cost was overseas in british pounds and with the exchange rate being what it is, it would be around $900. I, like you have a pre2014 AX chassis and for the same reasons as you I can live with what I have, if it is truely $900. I was really hoping for $400 and I convinced myself to go high as $600 but there is no way in hell I would spend $900 on a buttstock. More power to those that will...

Yup, seen many of them in person for other inlets, but just because it is on the website doesn’t mean it is actually produced yet outside of the first prototype.

It is is a great chassis, and Phil puts on a good match. Funny enough though, nobody I know has a folder model.

One reason I like the AX stock is that it folds to the right, over the bolt knob. The only folder I have seen on the MPA site folds on the left side, so no advantage over the factory AT stock.