• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AXSR stripped screw for barrel change....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDude219

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 4, 2022
NC
Just got this delivered the other day and when I went to change the barrel today I saw this.... This look OK to anyone? Kinda defeats the multi-caliber thing huh?

Attachments

• IMG_0891.jpg
    IMG_0891.jpg
    515.3 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:
I’d contact AINA.. Their response time and service is good. 😉

Last edited:
Reactions: TheDude219
It's roughed up but can you get a 4mm hex bit in there and loosen it up? If so that should make replacing it easier. I'd look into taking it down and send the action to AINA to replace that bolt.

It's roughed up but can you get a 4mm hex bit in there and loosen it up? If so that should make replacing it easier. I'd look into taking it down and send the action to AINA to replace that bolt.

Just got this delivered the other day and when I went to change the barrel today I saw this.... This look OK to anyone? Kinda defeats the multi-caliber thing huh?
Now I see why it was "like" new
@Browny I guess it wasn't my lucky day. No dings or scratches but we can trade :)
Well this gives me pause on ordering from Eurooptics…. Was thinking about getting an AXSR myself and just emailed them last night…

I don't see how you could fault them for not noticing a tamper resistant screw in there. The OP obviously didn't notice either. Its not as though they take all the rifles at EuroOptic and start changing barrels around.

Taking it online before giving them chance to fix it, is bad form. No body is going to notice that until they try to stick an allen wrench in it.

Is it just the illusion of an tamper proof head? They all have a little dot in the bottom but are NOT tamper proof.. Here's a pic of one I just took this am off to the side just a little. If the camera is straight on, then it can look that way. OP can you not put a 5/32 Allen in there? From your pic it looks like the edges of the head aren't stripped and have solid angles (no rounding), just a little discoloration in the bottom of the head.

Attachments

• 20230618_071537.jpg
    20230618_071537.jpg
    354.2 KB · Views: 122
I don't see how you could fault them for not noticing a tamper resistant screw in there. The OP obviously didn't notice either. Its not as though they take all the rifles at EuroOptic and start changing barrels around.

Taking it online before giving them chance to fix it, is bad form. No body is going to notice that until they try to stick an allen wrench in it.
I reached out to them as well. Haven't heard back yet, but its the weekend... I get it.

My post had more to do with the one from a few days ago about someone in a similar situation asking about QC issues from Eurooptic, obviously I'm not the only one.

Reactions: Chargerguy
Sorry to hear about this. My AXSR came from AINA in the condition I mentioned. I don’t think I can fault EO for that. As their rep mentioned the rifle was received on May 23 or something, and never displayed etc. before being sent out early June.

If this is cosmetic I wouldn’t put too much thought into it. Try sticking that 4mm in there and see if it seats properly. Yes, I know it hurts at this price point…but as @MOUNTIC said AINA should take care of you. It shouldn’t be this way…but it is. For reference here is what mine looks like:
DA66EF5D-F2A6-417A-80B1-07AF233E3EFB.jpeg

In my case I found that focusing on the several thousands of dollars increase in property taxes, inflation etc. made me completely forget about the marks on the acra rail 😂 oh, and not to mention shooting it. I am somewhat jealous that you got that deal, in the correct caliber…so I may take you up on that trade.

Lastly, in my experience sending something out for repair usually means it comes back with two more diseases that need curing. If you can get that screw out ask AINA to send you another one.

Good luck!

For the Mk.22/ ASR program, looks like .mil guys are now using tamper-resistant fasteners.

1687101897717.png

Reactions: camocorvette
The AXSR Manual, as noted earlier in the thread, however does not.

1687102649809.png

@Browny I guess it wasn't my lucky day. No dings or scratches but we can trade :)
FYI in my case my selling dealer offered to switch me out. I decided not to go that route particularly if all AI come that way now. The devil you know…

Why would AI is use tamper resistant bolts…for bolts that are supposed to be unbolted?

And are we talking about one (or maybe two) new AI owners that just think their QC barrel bolt is tamper resistant based purely upon visual inspection? Versus actually putting a hex bit in there?

Last edited:
Reactions: whatsupdoc
And why are we talking about Torx? That’s obviously a hex…unless I am going blind.

And although it’s slightly roughed up, maybe, did the OP try to insert a bit in there and unloosen it?

P.S. Shower Thoughts: loosen and unloosen mean exactly the same thing…wtf English?

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that's not a tamper resistant bolt. As mountic pointed out the bolts have a round thingy in the hex head.

Reactions: carbonbased
Holy 1st world problems, put a different screw in or get the correct tool.
Or how about actually try the correct 4mm hex in the first place? (not coming down on ya, just reinforcing)

Calling the retailer and posting pic on an internet forum before actually attempting the above is the definition of a first world problem…on steroids.

But hey, maybe there is a tamper resistant hex in there…maybe AI ran out of correct bolts and scavenged one out of their bathroom stall fixtures…but somehow I doubt it?

Last edited:
Reactions: stanley_white
Or how about actually try the correct 4mm hex in the first place? (not coming down on ya, just reinforcing)

Calling the retailer and posting pic on an internet forum before actually attempting the above is the definition of a first world problem…on steroids.

But hey, maybe there is a tamper resistant hex in there…maybe AI ran out of correct bolts and scavenged one out of their bathroom stall fixtures…but somehow I doubt it?
Yeah man, when I drop that kind of money on a toy and can't get a key functional part of the system to work, I tend to get a little peeved. The screw isn't coming out and I'm not going to make it worse. I obviously tried to change the barrel (with the provided kex and larger ones) and only noticed because it didn't work. Not sure how/why this has triggered you, but thanks for stopping by.

Absolutely.

I know your statement is correct, but shouldn't "unloosen" actually mean "tighten"?
Yes. Just like the more dangerous example, inflammable. Which counterintuitively = flammable.

That’s why they started labeling gasoline tanker trucks with the vastly less confusing flammable warning.

Yeah man, when I drop that kind of money on a toy and can't get a key functional part of the system to work, I tend to get a little peeved. The screw isn't coming out and I'm not going to make it worse. I obviously tried to change the barrel (with the provided kex and larger ones) and only noticed because it didn't work. Not sure how/why this has triggered you, but thanks for stopping by.

I’m just trying to figure out what the problem actually was.

My post had more to do with the one from a few days ago about someone in a similar situation asking about QC issues from Eurooptic, obviously I'm not the only one.
To clarify, are you saying you recieved it this way from Euro Optic?
Correct, shipped like this
What you’ve written implies you think there’s a temper resistant fastener in there, not that you couldn’t get it out???

You also didn’t correct anyone that thought it was a temper resistant bolt.

And if you were unable to remove said bolt (vs tamper resistant), how would posting a pic with an installed intact hex bolt illustrate this fact?

I mean, you’re going to have to apply some decent force to that bolt to remove it, but I guess if you’ve tried…I dunno.

Last edited:

Or perhaps the wrong size or cheap Allen wrench. The faster doesn't look stripped. It could be the Allen key stripped.

Reactions: carbonbased
Or perhaps the wrong size or cheap Allen wrench. The faster doesn't look stripped. It could be the Allen key stripped.
I didn’t mention tamper resistant, someone else did. I only mentioned that the screw that is used to change the barrel wouldn’t work. I used the provided hex and them some of mine to no avail.

Still haven’t heard back from EO after opening a case.

I agree. Three corners of the hex are visible and all appear sharp down in the bottom of the recess. Cant see the other 3. I hesitated on pointing that out before because I don't have it in hand to know, but sure likes there's plenty there to seat the wrench into.

On the AXMC, if you remove that bolt, you run the risk of losing the internal washer down beneath the action. The action has to be de-bonded to get it out. Since the AXSR isn't bonded, it would seem to be as simple as just requesting a new screw from AINA (probably provided for free), but then we wouldn't have this thread for all the drama.

I know the phone is faster than waiting on an e-mail, but there may not be someone there to answer phones or e-mails on Sunday.

... I only mentioned that the screw that is used to change the barrel wouldn’t work. I used the provided hex and them some of mine to no avail.

What about the screw doesn't work? It is too tight to turn or it's stripped?

On the AXMC, if you remove that bolt, you run the risk of losing the internal washer down beneath the action. The action has to be de-bonded to get it out. Since the AXSR isn't bonded, it would seem to be as simple as just requesting a new screw from AINA (probably provided for free), but then we wouldn't have this thread for all the drama.
This is good info. The bolt on my axmc le is starting to get pretty worn. I was going to remove it and look for a replacement. Guess I shouldn't do that.

This is good info. The bolt on my axmc le is starting to get pretty worn. I was going to remove it and look for a replacement. Guess I shouldn't do that.
You might can do it if you lay it on its side and are very careful so the washer doesn't move, not sure. I'd talk to the guys at Mile High or AINA HQ.

"look everyone - my gunsmith / FFL dealer / optic manufacturer did me wrong" is our little microcosms victimhood cry for attention, equivalent to "he called me a racist slur" tiktoks or choosing to cut your dick off and post about it on Instagram.

Seems to cover about 10% of the content these days.

"look everyone - my gunsmith / FFL dealer / optic manufacturer did me wrong" is our little microcosms victimhood cry for attention, equivalent to "he called me a racist slur" tiktoks or choosing to cut your dick off and post about it on Instagram.

It is a great consumer warning for places that wont take care of their products or make shit products. But blasting them without giving them a chance to fix it, on something so unlikely to be noticed is kind of silly. I could see the indignation if it was something bigger and more likely to get noticed.

"Like new" means used. You never know what someone else did with a used rifle.

Oh my bad. I spent 9k on something that came defective. Didn’t realize I should be fine with the results. Thanks Capt

Oh my bad. I spent 9k on something that came defective. Didn’t realize I should be fine with the results. Thanks Capt
Nobody said you should be fine with it, it's just how you chose to handle it here. Call EO this morning. Talk to Jason. Problem will be resolved . Simple.
Accusing EO of "QC issues" is the problem. It's not something that would be obvious unless you specifically looked for it (and almost no one would). According to your own post YOU had it in your possession for a couple of days before YOU even noticed it. Also, the pics make it look like it is actually still functional (not stripped farther down in the recess).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.