• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Raven34

Sergeant of the Hide
PX Member
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2009
South Western, PA
Just booked a 2022 Moose/Mule deer hunt in British Columbia. This will be my first moose hunt so I'm looking for for a little advice. The outfitter I'm going through only lets .30 cal and larger. What caliber have you guys been successful with on your hunts. I was thinking of either going with a 300 prc, 300 norma, or 338 lapua. I'm going to be taking my DT SRS A1 on this hunt.

Thanks in advance

Sean the Nailer

Sergeant
PX Member
Minuteman
  • May 20, 2006
    Winnipeg, Mb.
    I've not used the first two calibers that you suggest. As for the Lapua, these are "Moose" not mastodon.

Not for nothing, and there's no rhyme nor reason to it, but there are laws in Canada prohibiting "bullpup style stocks". Now, does that mean that there aren't any for sale up here, no. But seeing as you're coming in over the Border, it 'could' be an issue. I suggest you follow up on that before your trip.

Here's hoping that you've no issues, AND that you have a great trip.

rlsmith1

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    May 1, 2019
    300 Wby worked just fine a couple years ago. I would focus more on the bullet than the cartridge because as Sean said, they will die and many have been killed with a 270 and 30-06. I would suggest a Partition or similar bullet. Probably wouldn't go Accubond type. If you already have a 300 Win Mag, PRC or Norma, I would go that route. Otherwise the Lapua would work as would a 338 Win Mag.

Enjoy the hunt!!

Reactions: wadebrown

Matt_3479

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Oct 12, 2009
    We do an annual moose hunt and the guy in the group who has the most moose kills (my dad) shoots a 270. Win and never has an issue. Any of the 30’s would work. Pick which one your most interested in. I’m shooting the 300 Norma but had a winny in the past. The Norma is my new moose medicine but haven’t tested it yet.

zeroz

3m ta3
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Feb 13, 2017
    South central, co
    30-06 killed one just fine. Anything else is just extra insurance, tissue damage and recoil:). I would say the answer is whatever your next LR/ELR gun wants to be. It'll get a lot more time at that than poking holes in moose. Of those mentioned I would go PRC to get away from the belt.

Reactions: Charlie112

adamjma

Cold fingers
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Feb 13, 2017
    Canada
    Not for nothing, and there's no rhyme nor reason to it, but there are laws in Canada prohibiting "bullpup style stocks". Now, does that mean that there aren't any for sale up here, no. But seeing as you're coming in over the Border, it 'could' be an issue. I suggest you follow up on that before your trip.

Not entirely correct - you cannot CONVERT a firearm (barrelled action) into a shorter firearm through the use of a bullpup stock. So mounting anything into the MK Machining chassis would be illegal. However, a firearm that is a bullpup design to begin with is fine. Go figure.

That said, OP should confirm with the outfitter and authorities so there are no surprises.

7mmMato

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Aug 4, 2019
    I Killed mine with a 6.5-06 and 127 LRX 1 shot. 2 other hunters in camp were using .300 Win Mags. One wounded a bull they never found and the other shot one in the ass and the guide had to finish it before it swam into a lake. So moral to the story is use what you can shoot accurately and make a good shot. Good Luck and Enjoy the Hunt BC is beautiful and the people are extremely nice.

Westernhntr

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Dec 29, 2018
    Idaho
    Just booked a 2022 Moose/Mule deer hunt in British Columbia. This will be my first moose hunt so I'm looking for for a little advice. The outfitter I'm going through only lets .30 cal and larger. What caliber have you guys been successful with on your hunts. I was thinking of either going with a 300 prc, 300 norma, or 338 lapua. I'm going to be taking my DT SRS A1 on this hunt.

Thanks in advance
    Id go with an 8 twist 300 prc or Norma mag shooting this bullet
    https://badlandsprecision.com/product/308-205gr-super-bulldozer-2/

Jef-in-AZ

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Jan 19, 2021
    Apache Junction, AZ
    Of the ones you list 300 Win. my personal preference would be 375 H&H Just because I’ve used it for hunting than any other rifle of mine, recoil is no issue, minimal meat damage, and it just flat works.