• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

B14 HMR Stock Design - Where to Put Your Rear Support/Bag

mikehill85

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2019
This may seem like a basic question with an answer that is obvious to a lot of you but I have a question about the B14 HMR stock. The design of the B14 HMR stock seems a bit unconventional (to me anyway) and I was wondering where you place your rear bag/support (see below image). There is a flat portion of the stock (parallel to the ground) with a sling stud in it (which you'd obviously remove if placing the rear bag here) and an skinnier angled portion (not parallel to the ground).

It would make sense to put your bag under the parallel portion because it will allow your gun to recoil straight back, but your face is going to be over the portion which is angled with respect to the ground (there's and adjustment for comb height here). I've heard you should have your cheek weld over the bag to avoid creating a turning moment about the rear support.

If you put your bag under the angled portion, the angle between the front and rear of the gun will change as it slides back under recoil. You also run the risk of the back of the semi-pistol grip hitting your bag under recoil which could obviously spoil your shot.

What do you guys recommend here and does anyone know why the stock is designed this way? It seems a bit odd but I could easily be missing something.

B14-HMR-Stock-Up.png

Last edited:
This may seem like a basic question that is obvious to a lot of you but I have a question about the B14 HMR stock. The design of the B14 HMR stock is a bit unconventional and I was wondering where you place your rear bag/support (see below image). There is a flat portion of the stock (parallel to the ground) with a sling stud in it (which you'd obviously remove if placing the rear bag here) and an skinnier angled portion (not parallel to the ground).

It would make sense to put your bag under the parallel portion because it will allow your gun to recoil straight back, but your face is going to be over the portion which is angled with respect to the ground (there's and adjustment for comb height here). I've heard you should have your cheek weld over the bag to avoid creating a turning moment about the rear support.

If you put your bag under the angled portion, the angle between the front and rear of the gun will change as it slides back under recoil. You also run the risk of the back of the semi-pistol grip hitting your bag under recoil which could obviously spoil your shot.

What do you guys recommend here and does anyone know why the stock is designed this way? It seems a bit odd but I could easily be missing something.

View attachment 7882392
I put it under the rearmost portion, because I’d rather have a straight recoil pathway, than have the bottom of the grip impact the bag which would (in my mind) be less repeatable. And agreed, the sling stud comes out.

Reactions: mikehill85
That angled cut out is what many call a butt hook and its made to put the bag in and do exactly what you described it as doing. Its so you can rapidly effect the elevation with the bag placement.

I put it under the rearmost portion, because I’d rather have a straight recoil pathway, than have the bottom of the grip impact the bag which would (in my mind) be less repeatable. And agreed, the sling stud comes out.
Yeah, that's what I've been doing as well (see setup below). Obviously using the parallel rearmost portion you need to either be able to adjust the front elevation or the rear bag height. Maybe the angled portion is there to give you the option to adjust rear elevation based on where the gun rests on the bag but you'd need a pretty small bag to avoid the semi-pistol grip hitting the bag.

IMG-0489.JPG

Reactions: KnowNothing256
Yeah, getting a good relationship between front and rear rest heights has certainly been an iterative process for me…

I have a Schmedium and a TAB Gear, and find myself wanting a heavy-fill Tater Tot or Pint Size for rear, plus a Git-Lite Schmedium…ah, the gear options never cease

If you used a field rear bag vs a bench bunny ear rear bag youll find the butt hook to not be so burdensome.
Youre trying to make a tactical stock into a benchrest stock which isnt what it was designed to do.

Reactions: YotaEer
If you used a field rear bag vs a bench bunny ear rear bag youll find the butt hook to not be so burdensome.
Youre trying to make a tactical stock into a benchrest stock which isnt what it was designed to do.
Interesting. I'm always up to try new things. What bag would you recommend?

I actually typically find myself wanting more height off the ground/bench, and parking the bag in the butt hook leaves me fighting more to get height at the rear. Not sure if I’m weird in that regard or what, but I like that using the rear flat surface gives me another 1/2-1” of rear height without needing to get weird/creative with the rear bag as much.

I use a tater tot or a game changer. There are hundreds to choose from.
Thanks. I know there are a bunch of bags to choose from but (assuming you have a similar rifle) I'd rather someone tell me what they use so I don't have to do as much trial and error with bag sizes etc., if that makes any sense.

Thanks. I know there are a bunch of bags to choose from but (assuming you have a similar rifle) I'd rather someone tell me what they use so I don't have to do as much trial and error with bag sizes etc., if that makes any sense.
Buy a tater tot or a game changer- heavy sand fill. That will do 99% of what you need for PRS or field shooting.
I dont use dedicated rear bags for much of anything anymore. I actually cant remember the last time I used a dedicated "rear" bag.

Edit: I actually forgot I made a little comparison of those that I have used, hope it helps illustrate some of the differences.

Last edited:
Buy a tater tot or a game changer- heavy sand fill. That will do 99% of what you need for PRS or field shooting.
I dont use dedicated rear bags for much of anything anymore. I actually cant remember the last time I used a dedicated "rear" bag.

Edit: I actually forgot I made a little comparison of those that I have used, hope it helps illustrate some of the differences.

Thanks so much, Sir!

Hey just wanted to let you know I got one of those Tater Tot bags and that thing is great. I tried it for the first time today and I'm already shooting significantly better using a bipod and the bag as rear support than I was with my old setup. Great advice! Thanks so much!

Reactions: GSPKurt