• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

back in the bolt gun game, bought a bergara b14 hmr 6.5 creed

Truth223

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2011
Central,Il
Picking it up tuesday. For the quality it seemed like the way to go as far as out of the box rifle packages. I havent owned a bolt gun for 6-8 years so Ive been away for too long. Whats a budget scope to look at for shooting 100-300 yards? Whats the go to for scope base, rings and muzzle brake for the bergara? i was familiar with .308 but im new to the 6.5 creed world. Thank you for any help and suggestions

Vortex and Athlon have fine offerings in your budget and if you’re veteran, military or law enforcement they have a huge discount for you and both have great warranties. Leupold also has huge discounts for vets, troops, and cops. My eyeball prefers Athlons and others have their preferences. If possible go eyeball the scope before you purchase it as everyone’s eyes are different. IMO The standard leupold base and rings are the best of the inexpensive stuff. There’s just too many good choices if you wanna spend more. Burris signature series are good. Warne and larue are pretty decent also. The Spuhr are probably the very best that I’ve seen. I like my area419 hellfire Muzzle brake on my creedmoors but there’s plenty of good ones. If you watch the post exchange section under forums here you can catch really good deals on things like these. Welcome back to bolt guns.

Reactions: Truth223
The APÁ Little B isn’t the cheapest but might be near the top for reduction of recoil and muzzle rise. I have a Seekins and a JP.

does a 30 cal brake work for the 6.5? I found a pws prc 308 brake in my gun parts drawer from a previous 700 build

yes a .30 cal hole will be good to take a .264 bullet through it.

run it
nice, that saves me some money. I think Im going to order the athlon btr 6-24x, and figure out a budget base/ring combo. then i should be gtg and ready to hit the range later this coming week to test this thing out

Picked up the bergara today. Man it’s nice. So much smoother than the other rem 700s I’ve owned. It came with a tally 20 moa scope base too so that saves me some money. Still researching for a scope and rings

Picked up the bergara today. Man it’s nice. So much smoother than the other rem 700s I’ve owned. It came with a tally 20 moa scope base too so that saves me some money. Still researching for a scope and rings

I've got that exact rifle. Talley 20 MOA base, Vortex low Pro rings and Vortex Viper PST Gen 2. Rings can be had for 50-70. The Diamondback is a fine scope. You can get the 5-25x50 from Amazon for 399 shipped.

does a 30 cal brake work for the 6.5? I found a pws prc 308 brake in my gun parts drawer from a previous 700 build
Just to add, yes.

I ran a Bergara 30 cal break on my HMR in 6.5 for about a year before I bought my HMR Pro in 308. Eventually got a 6.5 dedicated break for my HMR. POI was different slightly, but group stayed the same

I've got that exact rifle. Talley 20 MOA base, Vortex low Pro rings and Vortex Viper PST Gen 2. Rings can be had for 50-70. The Diamondback is a fine scope. You can get the 5-25x50 from Amazon for 399 shipped.
im torn between the athlon btr and diamondback 5-25x

im torn between the athlon btr and diamondback 5-25x
I'm no scope/glass snob and really don't know what I don't know , I have an Athlon Argos BTR 6-24 x 50 and am very pleased with it so far. My decrepit old bones was getting 1.25" 100 yard groups when I zeroed it and at 550 I've printed 6.5" (1.237MOA, unless my math is really bad) as my best so far. I don't see any fisheye effect and it looks very clear to my astigmatic eyes. I think the Argos is the low end of the BTR line. Mine was @ $275.00 with tax and shipping.

Maybe a stupid question, but if you're only concerned with 100-300 yards then why a muzzle break?

Maybe need to read all the comments prior to posting. Now I see you've selected the Athlon 6-24. Overkill for that short of a distance IMO.

Maybe a stupid question, but if you're only concerned with 100-300 yards then why a muzzle break?
Fair question. I know 6.5 creed is less recoil than 308, but I’m Just trying to get recoil as low as possible due to a bad shoulder

Reactions: barnjs