• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Back pain

Its likely you've herniated the L5 disc in you lower back I did that years ago, my helper said he could heaqr the snap 10 feet away, and I have some sage advice.

1-DONT GET SUCKED INTO THE CHIROPPRACTOR. He cant help much because:

2-The herniated disc is swollen and pressing against the sciatic nerve which runs down your right leg. If it were the L4 it would be the left leg (I may have those reversed as its been 30 years). Adjusting it does little to no good. Trust me, I got bilked for almost 2K.

3- It MAY go down on its own, but unlikely. The only true cure for it is to allow the swelling to go down. That usually takes staying FLAT ON YOUR BACK for a week or so and easy, no to little lifting for a month after that. If you keep getting up and doing shit you'll keep inflaming the disc and the swelling wont go down. Flat on your back. If your over weight, lose some. Less stress on the spine.

4-Dont tell me "I Cant" cause you can, you just have to be committed to your own healing more than anything. The only other option will eventually come to surgery.

5-As GreeGo suggested above, take up yoga, or any good screeching exercise. I found swimming the best for me because your body is supported by the water while you stretch and elongate the spine, taking pressure off the disc.

6-Thank Maggot when this works and invite him for some free shooting on your Texas ranch.

Maggot, the fuck, out.

Edit to add: Thats not to discount chiropractic, it has its place, but IMHO, rest and stretching/swimming is your best option. A steroid shot can help but the downside of that is you'll get back to full speed too quickly and likely reinjure yourself.

Rest.
Don’t have a ranch but your always welcome as long as if we go to the range you don’t report my group size in here unless I’m having a good damn day.

Might need an MRI.
That’s what my wife wants, but I just don’t want to spend a few grand and they either tell me I need surgery which I definitely don’t want or that it’s sciatica and to do the same things I started doing, I would much rather just spend the 2k on a new rifle.

So, you think your back hurts huh ?

My L1-L2-L3-L4-L5-S1 are about 30-60% eaten away by cancer.
I could post a MRI image to prove it....if you really need to see fucked up shit like that.

Does your back feel better now ?

Leave the check with the receptionist.
Still hurts but sorry about yours too, I really hate to hear it

That’s what my wife wants, but I just don’t want to spend a few grand and they either tell me I need surgery which I definitely don’t want or that it’s sciatica and to do the same things I started doing, I would much rather just spend the 2k on a new rifle.

I waited too long for an MRI and now have permanent loss of most use of my left foot. Physical therapy was an absolute waste of time for a constricted nerve canal and pinched nerve. Pain management is a waste for that condition too.

I wouldn’t be a permanent cripple had I gotten the MRI and surgery within a month of injury.

You don’t know without an MRI.

Surgery for your back should be your last resort…But as someone who has had two back surgeries for sciatic pain, I’ll also say that it may be your only option. I tried everything under the sun before surgery, but the pain just kept getting worse.

After the surgery, I can’t believe I waited as long as I did. Changed my life.

After the first one, the recovery room nurse asked me if I remembered what I said as I was coming out of the Anesthesia (of course I didn’t), and she told me my first words were “Thank God, the pain’s gone”

So yeah, explore options, but if you have nerve impingement, surgery may be the only option.

Bruh, if a nerve is fucked then pain management is dumb. Don’t be a cripple like me. Immediate relief after my surgery, but lifelong cripple due to the nerve being pinched for 5 months.

Funny story: I asked if I could have my foot amputated, and get a cool ass new fake foot. They said no.

Asked them if I could get my dick cut off and be a woman. Doctor said he couldn’t do it, but could refer me, lol.

My body my choice my ass.

Last edited:
Might You need to get an MRI.

FIFY.

Xrays showed some of the damage, but the MRI was clear as day… Mine was L4/L5 and L5/S1. A piece of the L4/L5 had calcified (old injury from my first parachute jump as a cadet), and broke off. The bulge plus the broken piece of what was essentially a piece of bone pinched my sciatic nerve on one side, and the ‘new’ ruptured disc below it was pushing it from the other side.

Made a nice “Z” shape out of my sciatic nerve…. Absolute, and never-ending pain. Not the best period in my life. Lack of sleep from the constant and unrelenting discomfort, mixed in with periods of agonizing pain, begins to mess with your head too. It can get really bad.

Get it checked out ASAP.

FIFY.

Xrays showed some of the damage, but the MRI was clear as day… Mine was L4/L5 and L5/S1. A piece of the L4/L5 had calcified (old injury from my first parachute jump as a cadet), and broke off. The bulge plus the broken piece of what was essentially a piece of bone pinched my sciatic nerve on one side, and the ‘new’ ruptured disc below it was pushing it from the other side.

Made a nice “Z” shape out of my sciatic nerve…. Absolute, and never-ending pain. Not the best period in my life. Lack of sleep from the constant and unrelenting discomfort, mixed in with periods of agonizing pain, begins to mess with your head too. It can get really bad.

Get it checked out ASAP.

Mine was like a light switch. I was doing an exercise I’ve done a bazillion times. Out of nowhere, very strong pain. Tried to walk it off. Within a week got left foot drop. Went to doctor and zero reaction when doing the hammer thing to the knee. Got a x-Ray and the stretching speal and physical therapy.

After 2 months of physical therapy there was no improvement so he finally ordered an MRI. Took a month to get a slot (yay Covid protocol). MRI showed the impingement, and he ordered another test that shocked my lower leg to check for nerve deadness…dead as a mother fucker.

Says more physical therapy and pain management. I said nope and requested a second opinion. Second doctor said this is fucked and I’m scheduling you to see an ortho-surgeon. Saw the surgeon on a Tuesday and was on the table by that Friday.

From start of pain to surgery was 5 months. 4 of them wasted by a dipshit doctor whose insurance settled with me.

I was extremely physically fit. Stretched daily and nightly, strong core, and all that good stuff.

I tell all this to say that $2,000 spent on an MRI now is not a waste. If you’re fine on the MRI then at least you know. If you’re not fine then at least you know and can take the next appropriate step.

Go get an MRI, might have to do physical therapy and epidural steroid injections to get one but that will give you the answer.

My guess is L5,S1 bulged or ruptured, depending on a bulge these can sometimes fix them selves with meds/injections and rest.

If it’s ruptured, surgery isn’t the end of the world, I had mine operated on 7 years ago… life changing, I haven’t had any pain since

I had the opposite experience - long story short - totally regret the surgery I was pressured into because I took one pain pill every night for it (I had acute kidney failure from NSAIDS). Don't fall into that trap. Only do surgery if there is risk of imminent paralysis. After MRI, I would consider inversion table therapy; also there are some good YT video's on exercises you can do at home to "open up the space" to relieve pressure on the nerve root. Pain management isn't what it used to be, there used to be a variety of smaller procedures, facet/epidural injections and rhizotomies, to give temporary relief when it gets overwhelming, but insurance companies are cutting back on those.
There are some decent YT Biofeedback / Mindful meditation videos - esp. useful at night. They don't work as well when you are trying to drive or work.

I didn't read through the replies so here's what I can share.

1) Acupuncture works GREAT. You just need to ask around to see who's well known, or at least make sure of their experience level.
2) Chiropractor could help as well. It might be something you did LONG ago that is now enflamed by more aging.
3) Do not pass up getting it checked by your Primary Care Physician. If you have an MRI you will know how to better plan for care. Not all problems require surgery.

For my lower back/sciatica problems #1&#2 above helped me 1000%.

Now I have a little more time I can expand a bit.

I will say again don't do anything till you get it looked at. It might FEEL better but there is a chance you could do more damage. Doing nothing could do more damage. Take this from a guy that has had 5 different back surgeries and doG knows how many "procedures".

IMHO, nerves can get "pinched" and do everything you say, however you could also have "real" issues, blown disc or any flavor of "back" issues and just about everything you do including breathing and your heart beating is going to make it worse. In my case I was "a man" and figured I just tweaked something. Finally when the wife found out my drinking had gone up a tick and the over the counter pain meds seem to always be running out she "made" me go in. I don't remember what "L" thing was screwed up, why should I care just fix it. My fix was a cadaver bone some wood screws and a few metal plates. Still in real pain, we are talking REAL pain even years later and eating oxy like a fat girl eats M&M's. So I get a couple wires run up inside my spine. You are wide awake for this little bit of fun, but that is nothing next to the pure "joy" of a myelogram. That shit is medieval. The fill your spinal cord with a contrasting die, they they strap you to a table. This table will stand you on your feet, and turn you 360 all the way around. When you are "standing" on your head it feels like your head is going to explode like a water balloon. Only plus side is if you are lucky enough to have a couple really fit young and cute nurses that will just fly around you making all the changes. These kids RAN when changing out whatever they do. They must know the hell this thing is.

So they come back and say your nerve is basically fucked, lucky you. You get to be in pain every single day for the rest of your life, don't you feel "blessed". Now what we are going to do is stick a couple wires up your ass (Spine) keep you awake so you can tell us when we hit power to this wire where you feel it, then we will wiggle it around inside of you till it gets close to where your pain it. This is like an internal Tens device. And you get a hockey puck sized thing right under your skin about kidney area that will also always be sore. And that helped for a while till it did not.

Then you get to try radiofrequency ablation, this is after things like an epidural (yup I got one, also not a lot of fun), and it does help for about a day, the shit your insurance makes you do. Then before the thing that will fix you, they will shoot some 'roids into your spine, also not a great deal of fun. None of this shit works and is just torture, no other word for it.

So you finally earn enough points to try the next thing that "should" help you, the radiofrequency ablation, they basically blast the nerves and from what I understand hit them in the head with a hammer and make them to to sleep for a while, 6 months to two years.

This actually worked for me, but it has been about two years and I can see the starting signs of it "wearing off". In typical "man" fashion I don't want to go in yet, it does not hurt bad enough yet. And yes I know that is stupid.

Out of all the different shit they did to me over the years that was not too bad. Yes they jab you in the back about 10 times and you have to "feel" this so they get the right spots, but by this time you have had worse, just focus on that memory of real pain and it will get you through.

I will comment on some of the other things talked about in this thread. One thing to keep in mind is if something is really broken, like in me or a few others in the thread there is no other treatment that will "cure" it. Acupuncture, chiropractor, massage by a cute little 20 something will make you FEEL better for a little while, but the thing that is the cause of the issue is still right there and will come right back.

Get some pictures taken, my issue was my shoulder was killing me, turns out my neck was the issue. Why it took so long and so many Dr.s to figure that out I have no idea. When I finally found the "right Dr." he was you need surgery, I am open next monday. Ahh ok.

My issue was I waited too long to get it fixed, so the nerve is basically fucked. It will never be right. So this is where I am.

• Love
Reactions: Bigfatcock
I waited too long for an MRI and now have permanent loss of most use of my left foot. Physical therapy was an absolute waste of time for a constricted nerve canal and pinched nerve. Pain management is a waste for that condition too.

I wouldn’t be a permanent cripple had I gotten the MRI and surgery within a month of injury.

You don’t know without an MRI.

Bruh, if a nerve is fucked then pain management is dumb. Don’t be a cripple like me. Immediate relief after my surgery, but lifelong cripple due to the nerve being pinched for 5 months.

Funny story: I asked if I could have my foot amputated, and get a cool ass new fake foot. They said no.

Asked them if I could get my dick cut off and be a woman. Doctor said he couldn’t do it, but could refer me, lol.

My body my choice my ass.
A good PT should be able to show you positions that remove weight bearing and cause negative pressure in the disc. Over time this can reduce pain by reducing nerve impingement. There are also stretches and exercises for stenosis. I spent almost a year with PT who didn't know what he was doing. He didn't do much but irritate the problem areas and likely re-injure me and slow healing. I spent 6 weeks with a good PT who got me squared away.

I still have weakness in my right leg and a couple of toes are numb, but as far as daily or weekly pain not usually.

A good PT should give you a set stretches that protect the part of your back that is injured. For example, with my herniated discs I am not supposed to do the classic standing touch your toes ham string stretch. Most everything on my exercise/streching plan has been modified to protect my lower back.

Reactions: Maggot
Mine was like a light switch. I was doing an exercise I’ve done a bazillion times. Out of nowhere, very strong pain. Tried to walk it off. Within a week got left foot drop. Went to doctor and zero reaction when doing the hammer thing to the knee. Got a x-Ray and the stretching speal and physical therapy.

After 2 months of physical therapy there was no improvement so he finally ordered an MRI. Took a month to get a slot (yay Covid protocol). MRI showed the impingement, and he ordered another test that shocked my lower leg to check for nerve deadness…dead as a mother fucker.

Says more physical therapy and pain management. I said nope and requested a second opinion. Second doctor said this is fucked and I’m scheduling you to see an ortho-surgeon. Saw the surgeon on a Tuesday and was on the table by that Friday.

From start of pain to surgery was 5 months. 4 of them wasted by a dipshit doctor whose insurance settled with me.

I was extremely physically fit. Stretched daily and nightly, strong core, and all that good stuff.

I tell all this to say that $2,000 spent on an MRI now is not a waste. If you’re fine on the MRI then at least you know. If you’re not fine then at least you know and can take the next appropriate step.
They didn't prescribe meloxicam. OR try any disc injections first?

Mine was work comp, so injury to MRI was probably 5 months. But also at 5 months my radicular pain had gone away, and what was left is the same hyper sensitivity I have now.

My PT told me never let them cut a chunk off until you come to me first, that thin spot will budge again.

The problems with my first PT were many. First they were focusing on all this core exercise you have a weak core that would tell me. So I am in there doing dynamic core exercise, and planking for 3 minutes doing lifts and chops that were causing pelvic torsion in my unstable pelvis. When I went to an actual good PT, he said, "you are plenty strong big guy, we need to target a couple areas and get you some flexibility. His routine looked nothing like the other PTs.

Last edited:
. Absolute, and never-ending pain. Not the best period in my life. Lack of sleep from the constant and unrelenting discomfort, mixed in with periods of agonizing pain, begins to mess with your head too. It can get really bad.

Get it checked out ASAP.
I dislocated the C2/C3 when I was about 5 years old. The swelling left me paralyzed. Quick traction at the hospital finally relived the swelling and I got motion back, but it never really 'fixed' the problem. I've been in that pain you speak of for over 65 years. After a while you learn to sublimate it, but that takes energy...which leaves you with less energy to deal with the world. On top of that at about 10, I fell of a roof and landed on the left shoulder which threw my whole spine out of whack at the C7/T1 junction. Never got any treatment. Constant pain, lack of sleep, and people wonder why I have a short fuse?

The only thing I've found that really helps and lets me sleep well, is/are narcotics. a small dose about every two weeks kind of lets me sleep good for a night then remember how that felt for days. I had a script for diludid which I considered more precious than gold but the new doctor's here in Oklahoma won't refill it. I looked him straight in the eye and told him "You and big pharma, and the politicians, have taken away my right not to hurt, Fuck You." I think they enjoy that control and being anal retentive and say 'NO'.

Do I recommend that for everyone? Absolutely not, some should never touch it. It can be addictive it yo cant or dont manage it.

If anyone thinks wanting not to hurt once in awhile, after 65 years of pain makes me weak, then fuck you as well. Walk my shoes for 65 years before you judge me. It's as much about freedom as anything else. Why should I, or anyone else, not have the right to make reasonable and thought out decisions for themselves?

Think about it. If your life becomes so pain racked, its not worth it to you anymore, you dont even have the right to end it. Try and they lock you up in jail or the psycho ward.

Freedom??? Bwahahahahaha

Last edited:
Reactions: Bullfrog08

Mine was work comp, so injury to MRI was probably 5 months. But also at 5 months my radicular pain had gone away, and what was left is the same hyper sensitivity I have now.

My PT told me never let them cut a chunk off until you come to me first, that thin spot will budge again.

The problems with my first PT were many. First they were focusing on all this core exercise you have a weak core that would tell me. So I am in there doing dynamic core exercise, and planking for 3 minutes doing lifts and chops that were causing pelvic torsion in my unstable pelvis. When I went to an actual good PT, he said, "you are plenty strong big guy, we need to target a couple areas and get you some flexibility. His routine looked nothing like the other PTs.

Nope.

I dislocated the C2/C3 when I was about 5 years old. The swelling left me paralyzed. Quick traction at the hospital finally relived the swelling and I got motion back, but it never really 'fixed' the problem. I've been in that pain you speak of for over 65 years. After a while you learn to sublimate it, but that takes energy...which leaves you with less energy to deal with the world. Constant pain, lack of sleep, and people wonder why I have a short fuse?

The only thing I've found that really helps and lets me sleep well, is/are narcotics. a small dose about every two weeks kind of lets me sleep good for a night then remember how that felt for days. I had a script for diludid which I considered more precious than gold but the new doctor's here in Oklahoma won't refill it. I looked him straight in the eye and told him "You and big pharma, and the politicians, have taken away my right not to hurt, Fuck You." I think they enjoy that control and being anal retentive and say 'NO'.

Do I recommend that for everyone? Absolutely not, some should never touch it. It can be addictive it yo cant or dont manage it.

If anyone thinks wanting not to hurt once in awhile, after 65 years of pain makes me weak, then fuck you as well. Walk my shoes for 65 years before you judge me. It's as much about freedom as anything else. Why should I, or anyone else, not have the right to make decisions for themselves?

Think about it. If your life becomes so pain racked, you dont even have the right to end it. Try and they lock yu up in jail or the psycho ward.

My body my choice, lol.

I really want to amputate this dead foot and get one of those cool spring feet things, but I haven’t found a doctor yet that’ll do it. Frustrating.

My body my choice, lol.

I really want to amputate this dead foot and get one of those cool spring feet things, but I haven’t found a doctor yet that’ll do it. Frustrating.
If youre serious, have you tried over seas. It's probably a fairly simple operation, they cut my femur off and put in a new one and I walked out of the hospital the next day. Take a nice vacation trip to Barcelona and come back with a new foot.

Fuck Workman's comp. When I herniated the L5 they fucked around for a year and then fucked me royally. I did some research and found thats generally the case nationwide. Workman's com is owned and run by the insurance companies. the WC officials are jsut their paid stooges.

Reactions: tomcatmv
If youre serious, have you tried over seas. It's probably a fairly simple operation, they cut my femur off and put in a new one and I walked out of the hospital the next day. Take a nice vacation trip to Barcelona and come back with a new foot.

I’ve considered it, but I am extremely wary of medical in foreign countries.

Did you use a foreign hospital for that procedure?

Pick up a reverse hyper. The guy who invented it had multiple back injuries and surgeries and used it to go on and set world record lifts after breaking his back.

This is the cheapest/most compact version out there.

I’ve considered it, but I am extremely wary of medical in foreign countries.

Did you use a foreign hospital for that procedure?
No, I Charlottesville Virginia. I got lucky and got one of the leading hip surgeons in the country. When I moved to OK. I got it checked out and was chatting with the new surgeon. He asked who did the work. when I mentioned John Edwards, he lit up and said "I'm reading an article by him right now."

I would think any of the Nordic countries would be a good choice. A couple weeks R&R in Barcelona, sipping margarita's on the beach.

I always thought that is I lost a hand I'd get a sharp assed hook...I was told they wont do that either,

Fuck Workman's comp. When I herniated the L5 they fucked around for a year and then fucked me royally. I did some research and found thats generally the case nationwide. Workman's com is owned and run by the insurance companies. the WC officials are jsut their paid stooges.
Yea thats how they do it. It was almost two years for me when I got a lawyer. My new PT told me they are royally screwing right now. I didn't fully know what he meant until settlement time. Then everything paid out from the 1-2 year mark was not counted as temporary total disability {TTD}, even though i was not allowed to work by doctors orders, and was subtracted from my permanent disability settlement.

I am sure physical therapy is like every other profession where there are lots of OK PT's and only a few masters. The one thing the guy I had last told me, and that was that six weeks of truing should put you on the right track. So if its not working in 6-10 weeks move along. And also understand it takes a long time to heal. Mine is 12 years old I had varying levels of pain every day for about 6 years of that. My PT alway told me we are looking for 70% 3 out of 10 days bad. Now its mostly good, unless I carry too much heaver stuff, trip or slip, or sit funny on hard surface too long, that will move my SI joint, then everything hurts.

Also walking is good for your back, sitting is bad for your back. Sitting with your feet propped on a rest is even worse, crossing your legs is even worse.

Get an MRI. It’s the only definitive way to know what’s going on. There are many approaches to back health. I originally injured mine 15 years ago. Bulged L4-L5 and L5-S1. With various rehab techniques I made it 14 plus years. Now I’m recovering from 2 joint spinal fusion.
Honestly the only way you know if you really know what’s happening is an MRI

Dr said there is a herniated fragment strategically positioned right on the nerve. So a piece of the bone broke off and the MRI looks like a black triangle coming out of my spine so I took that as ruptured.
Ah...was this a neurosurgeon or ortho surgeon who told you this?

And a piece of bone...of the lamina or??

And the herniation is sitting on your nerve root...in the foraminal tunnel where the nerve root exits the vertebrae? I had that and it was NOT going to get better by itself though heavy steroids could mask it for a bit.

If not a spine surgeon you saw, I suggest seeing one and see if you get the same answer cause "get better by itself" is not making a lot of sense to me for a foraminal herniation.

I’m not one who goes to the Doctor often, most things just work themselves out. I need a little advice. This started when I was cutting up a tree for firewood and I tried to lift something I shouldn’t have. It got better on its own but now it’s back. I have a rather intense pain daily in the lower right side of my back. The more I sit or lay down the worse it gets with the pain starting in my lower back and going down my right leg to the ankle. If I’m standing or walking the pain is either much less or goes away at least for a little while. Anyone have this issue?
So, I just finally had an L3/4/5 fusion after fighting this for 15 years. Laminectomy 15 years ago to remove a herniated piece of L3/4 disk from the foraminal tunnel and squashing my nerve root and over the intervening time that disk completely collapsed (as in bone on bone pretty much) and 4/5 disk was going on the right side and giving me a lot of issues.

First, I agree with those to say try all less invasive treatments before considering surgery. That's PT, cortisone epidural/high does Prednisone, and also just time as 80% of disk herniations resolve themselves in 8-12 weeks or so as the tissue shrinks back and gives the nerves room. Just didn't happen in my case.

I absolutely do not agree with those who say avoid surgery at all costs as this is just uninformed, ignorant, and frankly irresponsible advise to give to another. People who say this are; 1) not doctors, 2) do not have any idea of the exact nature of your specific back injury, will tell you some tale about someone they knew who was ruined by back surgery without any exact details on that they person's injury and overall health was, what exact procedure was done, and when in history did this take place as the state of the art of these types of procedures has advanced radically in the last 20-30 years.

But without an MRI...read by a surgeon (and I suggest neurosurgeon)....you really don't know what you have going on and without that its impossible to craft a valid plan of action to get it resolved.

Your symptoms are classical sciatica from either a disk bulge or disk herniation. But you need to know exactly what's going on there definitively before you can really make any plans. So, back to an MRI... and consultation with a spine surgeon....and maybe after that with a pain doc for cortisone epidural (they are almost all anesthesiologists and at least mine does it under a quick propofol sedation).

As for chiropractors....just my opinion but its the biggest fucking fraud in modern medicine. Oh...and just how are they going to "realign" your vertebrae. You know, the the little bones in your back held in place by a plethora of muscle, tendons, maybe ligaments. You may have noticed that when you move, lay down, etc your vertebrae don't just fall out of place....because there is a lot of shit holding all that together and the little crap that the chiros do doesn't do squat in my experience. I did see a VERY highly regarded chiropractor when I first hurt my back way. I told them exactly what I had...a foraminal herniation with the disk chunk dug into my nerve root. So, what does he do....he did the only thing chiropractors do...he manipulated my back and I left more fucked up than when I came in and I never went back.

All of this is just my opinion but it is an opinion informed by a LOT of direct experience and a lot of time educating myself on lumbar injuries and treatment.

Best of luck

If you go to a chiropractor, find one who is doing “the old method” - this practice goes vertebrae by vertebrae and aligns you properly. New local practitioner is a gift from God🙏🙏
Most chiropractors can take X-Rays too.
There are simple exercises to strengthen your back muscles and a good chiropractor will show you how they are done.
Sciatica sucks! As do most of the “new method” chiropractors!

Best of luck!

Reactions: nikonNUT
Man, about 5 years ago I was unloading a log splitter cylinder out of the back of a minivan (huge red flag and I don't go near them anymore.) that was prolly 5" diameter and 48" long. Odd postioning to get to it but I got it and all was well. About 15 minutes later while just walking across the shop floor I had the sensation of missing a step (felt like I fell a foot!) followed by seering lower back pain. I tried the normal methods... Aleve, ice packs, etc. After a week of it taking 10 minutes to put my socks on every morning (couldn't bend to do it so it was pretty much start them with my toes) I decided to see a chiroprator. Dude has been at it for 30+ years and did the normal "Where does it hurt?" followed by x-rays to verify they wouldn't screw me up worse. Doc comes in and starts checking and started at the top. Got my neck and shoulders back in spec followed by working on the vertibrate. Then he say to flip over and tap my feet together. Looks at me and says "Your right leg is an inch shorter than your left." and proceeds to start pulling gently. Like a mantra he kept muttering "Stretching it out, stretching it out..." then out of the blue jerked my right foot for all he was worth and damn near yanked my off the table! Like a switch the pain was gone! "Okay! 30 minute TEMS session and I want to see you again next week and the week after. Here is a list of stretches I want you to do every day for the next month." Best $40.00 I have ever spent and if I get a twinge or my lower back starts hurting I just go back to the stretches and it works miracles!

Man, about 5 years ago I was unloading a log splitter cylinder out of the back of a minivan (huge red flag and I don't go near them anymore.) that was prolly 5" diameter and 48" long. Odd postioning to get to it but I got it and all was well. About 15 minutes later while just walking across the shop floor I had the sensation of missing a step (felt like I fell a foot!) followed by seering lower back pain. I tried the normal methods... Aleve, ice packs, etc. After a week of it taking 10 minutes to put my socks on every morning (couldn't bend to do it so it was pretty much start them with my toes) I decided to see a chiroprator. Dude has been at it for 30+ years and did the normal "Where does it hurt?" followed by x-rays to verify they wouldn't screw me up worse. Doc comes in and starts checking and started at the top. Got my neck and shoulders back in spec followed by working on the vertibrate. Then he say to flip over and tap my feet together. Looks at me and says "Your right leg is an inch shorter than your left." and proceeds to start pulling gently. Like a mantra he kept muttering "Stretching it out, stretching it out..." then out of the blue jerked my right foot for all he was worth and damn near yanked my off the table! Like a switch the pain was gone! "Okay! 30 minute TEMS session and I want to see you again next week and the week after. Here is a list of stretches I want you to do every day for the next month." Best $40.00 I have ever spent and if I get a twinge or my lower back starts hurting I just go back to the stretches and it works miracles!
You lucked out and got a rare one who kniw how to pull just right to relieve the compression on the disc. I wouldnt trust 95% to do that.

You lucked out and got a rare one who kniw how to pull just right to relieve the compression on the disc. I wouldnt trust 95% to do that.

This is why you find the "old method" chiropractors, that is what they do! Mine takes measurements and keeps excellent records.

As with any profession, some graduate at the bottom of the class, but if you can find a good one, your quality of life will drastically improve. :)

Reactions: Baron23
And the herniation is sitting on your nerve root...in the foraminal tunnel where the nerve root exits the vertebrae? I had that and it was NOT going to get better by itself though heavy steroids could mask it for a bit.

If not a spine surgeon you saw, I suggest seeing one and see if you get the same answer cause "get better by itself" is not making a lot of sense to me for a foraminal herniation.

Mine was, and got better without surgery.
That leg length test is to look for pelvic torsion or SI joint disfunction, which is what I suspected from the description. When a disc lets go, and pokes the nerve root, its like lighting hits your back and travels down your leg. Then the lighting keeps pulsing down your leg. The second time my disc let go, I couldn't walk on that leg for about an hour. I had to hop back to my house from my garden on one leg.

Reactions: Baron23
Wow, last I heard it was around 3K.
The disclaimer they give before your MRI reading, is about how looking at cadavers and MRIs, and people without back pain. They find disc bulges, herniations, and DDS in people with no back pain or problems. So its really not a silver bullet. Although, after the really good PT checked me over. looking at me physically, checking hip and lumbar flexibility, checking reflexes and sensitivity with a little pokey wheel pizza cutter looking thing. He told me exactly where the bulge was. That was before he received the MRI interpretation.

I never saw my actually MRI images and the doctors didn't even have them. What we received was a written report by the person who read and interpreted the results.

The disclaimer they give before your MRI reading, is about how looking at cadavers and MRIs, and people without back pain. They find disc bulges, herniations, and DDS in people with no back pain or problems. So its really not a silver bullet. Although, after the really good PT checked me over. looking at me physically, checking hip and lumbar flexibility, checking reflexes and sensitivity with a little pokey wheel pizza cutter looking thing. He told me exactly where the bulge was. That was before he received the MRI interpretation.

I never saw my actually MRI images and the doctors didn't even have them. What we received was a written report by the person who read and interpreted the results.
Yeah, a really skilled body worker can tell you allot about your condition by just observing carefully how you stand and walk. I learned a bit of that in a practice called NIA,

Odd, call me old fashioned, btu I would have asked, then insisted, on seeing the images. I look at every Xray. Fuck its of me, I paid for them, I have a right to see them. Inquiring minds and all. Now days its as easy as sending it to a computer screen.

Yeah, a really skilled body worker can tell you allot about your condition by just observing carefully how you stand and walk. I learned a bit of that in a practice called NIA,

Odd, call me old fashioned, btu I would have asked, then insisted, on seeing the images. I look at every Xray. Fuck its of me, I paid for them, I have a right to see them. Inquiring minds and all. Now days its as easy as sending it to a computer screen.
They didn't have them. All they had was a reading sent by the company that ran the mobile MRI machine.

I’m not one who goes to the Doctor often, most things just work themselves out. I need a little advice. This started when I was cutting up a tree for firewood and I tried to lift something I shouldn’t have. It got better on its own but now it’s back. I have a rather intense pain daily in the lower right side of my back. The more I sit or lay down the worse it gets with the pain starting in my lower back and going down my right leg to the ankle. If I’m standing or walking the pain is either much less or goes away at least for a little while. Anyone have this issue?

If you have issues with insurance payment for MRI look into Envision Imaging and call for pricing - I think there is one near you. I was looking at $3500 for a private pay nuclear med. bone scan at nearby hospitals and they could do it for just under $700. They release images & reports to you online as well.

Reactions: Jgault and Maggot
First thing get to the RIGHT Dr. Neurologist. Let them know what is going on. Don't do a single thing till you see one as anything talked about in the thread could make it worse.

I have very little strength in my left side due to nerve damage, part my issue part the Dr.s I figured it would get better, nerves can get screwed. Just last saturday I had a 3' long 2x4 in my hand, I turned and then ended up on the floor not able to move. I am still in pain, and in "real pain" every damn day.

Get it looked at and give them every bit of info you can, even if it does not seem related, like, you know after this hit I have been having trouble taking a wizz.
Back problems that contribute to problems urinating, taking a dump, or dumping/urinating when you can't control it and saddle paresthesia (numbness of the taint) are signs of Cauda Equina Syndrome. That can be serious, I would get to a doctor about that to make sure that all is ok. Waiting on that can leave permanent disability if that is truly what it is.

A chiropractor, a good one, can work wonders with putting bones back in the right place. However if there's worse damage, like bulging or ruptured discs and damaged nerves, they can't fix that.
I concur, had one work his magic one my back recently and i feel much better and i am also try new sleeping/sitting posture.

Reactions: mtrmn
Back problems that contribute to problems urinating, taking a dump, or dumping/urinating when you can't control it and saddle paresthesia (numbness of the taint) are signs of Cauda Equina Syndrome. That can be serious, I would get to a doctor about that to make sure that all is ok. Waiting on that can leave permanent disability if that is truly what it is.

They thought that as I have a few of the things that go along with it. I love the question is X numb, no just a little asleep, tingles a bit but not numb. The dentist makes you numb, this is not that.

They checked once, a myelogram is on my list of things I want to avoid. That was not fun.

They thought that as I have a few of the things that go along with it. I love the question is X numb, no just a little asleep, tingles a bit but not numb. The dentist makes you numb, this is not that.

They checked once, a myelogram is on my list of things I want to avoid. That was not fun.
Myelograms are a thing to be avoided if possible for sure. Luckily, MRI scans have made them obsolete, unless there is a reason you cant have one like a crap ton of metal in your spine that makes them ineffective, or some other electronic device that is implanted that is not safe to go in an MRI machine. There are a lot of misconstrued thoughts on what can and can't be in your body regarding implanted devices in an MRI machine.

Myelograms are a thing to be avoided if possible for sure. Luckily, MRI scans have made them obsolete, unless there is a reason you cant have one like a crap ton of metal in your spine that makes them ineffective, or some other electronic device that is implanted that is not safe to go in an MRI machine. There are a lot of misconstrued thoughts on what can and can't be in your body regarding implanted devices in an MRI machine.

St Jude stimulator, no more MRI for me. If I would have understood what kind of tool the MRI is I would have passed on this stupid thing in my body.

Reactions: Raffy
Its likely you've herniated the L5 disc in you lower back I did that years ago, my helper said he could heaqr the snap 10 feet away, and I have some sage advice.

1-DONT GET SUCKED INTO THE CHIROPPRACTOR. He cant help much because:

2-The herniated disc is swollen and pressing against the sciatic nerve which runs down your right leg. If it were the L4 it would be the left leg (I may have those reversed as its been 30 years). Adjusting it does little to no good. Trust me, I got bilked for almost 2K.

3- It MAY go down on its own, but unlikely. The only true cure for it is to allow the swelling to go down. That usually takes staying FLAT ON YOUR BACK for a week or so and easy, no to little lifting for a month after that. If you keep getting up and doing shit you'll keep inflaming the disc and the swelling wont go down. Flat on your back. If your over weight, lose some. Less stress on the spine.

4-Dont tell me "I Cant" cause you can, you just have to be committed to your own healing more than anything. The only other option will eventually come to surgery.

5-As GreeGo suggested above, take up yoga, or any good screeching exercise. I found swimming the best for me because your body is supported by the water while you stretch and elongate the spine, taking pressure off the disc.

6-Thank Maggot when this works and invite him for some free shooting on your Texas ranch.

Maggot, the fuck, out.

Edit to add: Thats not to discount chiropractic, it has its place, but IMHO, rest and stretching/swimming is your best option. A steroid shot can help but the downside of that is you'll get back to full speed too quickly and likely reinjure yourself.

Rest.
Sir you were pretty much correct. I want to thank everyone, it really is a great bunch of guys on this site. My wife dragged me to the chiropractor on Thursday, good news it’s not a disk issue, he twisted me pretty good and he said if it was a disk I would have been screaming in pain. He said my back muscle is just tight as steel cables around my sciatic nerve, and I probably popped my hip out of joint lifting that damn log. I got a few muscle relaxers from a friend, laid in bed for 5 days as Maggot the honorable gentleman suggested, and it’s much better today. I’m not well yet but on the way.

Sir you were pretty much correct. I want to thank everyone, it really is a great bunch of guys on this site. My wife dragged me to the chiropractor on Thursday, good news it’s not a disk issue, he twisted me pretty good and he said if it was a disk I would have been screaming in pain. He said my back muscle is just tight as steel cables around my sciatic nerve, and I probably popped my hip out of joint lifting that damn log. I got a few muscle relaxers from a friend, laid in bed for 5 days as Maggot the honorable gentleman suggested, and it’s much better today. I’m not well yet but on the way.
Heh heh, I got called a n honorable gentleman, heh, heh.

Just remember, rest is all important, restricted lifting, and as others have suggested, losing weight if necessary, core strengthening, and yoga/stretch.

Heh heh, I got called a n honorable gentleman, heh, heh.

Just remember, rest is all important, restricted lifting, and as others have suggested, losing weight if necessary, core strengthening, and yoga/stretch.
Yes as much as it hurts my soul after making fun of Yoga for 30 years I will be doing it. I’m just hoping I don’t experience the Yoga side effects: Craving for Tofu, a need to listen to Yani, and having to find a Guru that’s never had a real job so he can help me find my inner true self.

I just wanted to chime in and say I totally feel you when it comes to back pain. It can be such a hassle, right? I had a similar experience a while back, and it turned out to be a tight muscle around my sciatic nerve. I tried a few things, like muscle relaxers and resting in bed for a few days, and it actually helped a lot. I'm not completely healed yet, but I'm definitely on the right track. By the way, I've heard that fillers and Botox can sometimes help with back pain too. I recently discovered Woodland Hills Treatment Center, and they offer Botox treatments that might be worth checking out. Here's the link: https://rawbeautyaesthetics.com/services/botox-treatment-in-woodland-hills-ca Anyway, hang in there and take care of yourself. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Last edited:
Sciatic nerve, I had surgery on mine about 10 years ago, it’s done great until this year and it’s starting to act up again, lots of ibuprofen and Tylenol, water, and actually movement helps more than sitting still. I’m just going to go back to the gym. It doesn’t hurt as bad as the first time. Therefore, I don’t think I need surgery again. But yes, welcome to getting old. Good times.