• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Back to the 338 LM.

jfields

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2010
RGV, Texas
I got a couple hundred of the Midway bulk packed .338 Lapua brass this week, (Too good of a deal to pass up) so I think I will take off the .300 NM barrel and put the LM barrel back on. It's been a while since I've shot the .338. I need to get some bullets and am not sure what direction to go. I shot the 300 grain Hybrids several years ago, but I am wondering if the 256 Flatlines or some other solid would be the way to go for shooting past 2000 yards.

Any thoughts?

Hi,

What twist do you have in your LM barrel?

I personally prefer monolithics to jacketed bullets all the way around but monos (Especially the new generation ones) seem to prefer super fast twist rates.

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

What twist do you have in your LM barrel?

I personally prefer monolithics to jacketed bullets all the way around but monos (Especially the new generation ones) seem to prefer super fast twist rates.

Sincerely,
Theis

This is a factory AI AX barrel 27", 1.935 twist.

I got a couple hundred of the Midway bulk packed .338 Lapua brass this week, (Too good of a deal to pass up) so I think I will take off the .300 NM barrel and put the LM barrel back on. It's been a while since I've shot the .338. I need to get some bullets and am not sure what direction to go. I shot the 300 grain Hybrids several years ago, but I am wondering if the 256 Flatlines or some other solid would be the way to go for shooting past 2000 yards.

Any thoughts?
How well did your 300nm shoot?

I have an AI also and am shooting the 300 Berger's with good success. I have shot it in a couple of ELR matches and with low wind was able to get hits out to 2616 Yards. I did try the 285 eld m and the CE 277's but the Bergers still shot the best for me.

The Berger 300s are awesome. They are all I shoot in my 338s.

You have more than one 338? Isn't that kind of selfish? There are many needy shooters out there that don't even have one.

Oh, wait, I have two 338's. Nevermind.

I have an AI also and am shooting the 300 Berger's with good success. I have shot it in a couple of ELR matches and with low wind was able to get hits out to 2616 Yards. I did try the 285 eld m and the CE 277's but the Bergers still shot the best for me.

We shot Scenar 250s and 300s for a while and got the 300s out to 2200, then switched to the Berger 300s and have enjoyed the advantage. I've got about 500 of the Bergers left and am thinking about trying the Flatlines eventually, or else get a 33XC barrel.

I've had good results with all sort of "off the shelf" (not including any solids) bullets but the 285g A-MAX (ELD-M now) by far is the top performer all things considered. The 285's can be pushed so much faster (surprisingly) than a 300 in my rifle. Nearly 70 fps faster at the same pressure signs - appreciable from a 15g projectile weight difference. Comparable BC on both also.

Seems to be equally solid in both AI and Sako factory barrels.

Last edited:
Hi,

I really like the Flatlines but I am running a 7 Twist Schneider at the moment with some 7 twist Bartleins in the works right now.

Has anyone spun the 285gr ELD-M with an 8 of faster twist?

Sincerely,
Theis

I have a 33xc Schneider 31in 1-8 twist barrel for the AXMC and could not get past high pressure issues. It was chambered for 300 Berger's. I t shot well just had to load it down so I was only 100ish FPS faster then my .338lm with same bullet. Now not sure what to do with that barrel as it only had 210 down the tube.

Hi,

I really like the Flatlines but I am running a 7 Twist Schneider at the moment with some 7 twist Bartleins in the works right now.

Has anyone spun the 285gr ELD-M with an 8 of faster twist?

Sincerely,
Theis
You will be fine with that twist and the 285 Flatlines. You cannot really over spin the solids (I'm sure you alreadyknew that). I know you asked about the eld, and i think you are flirting with disaster spinning them that fast.

Reactions: camotoe
I've had good results with all sort of "off the shelf" (not including any solids) bullets but the 285g A-MAX (ELD-M now) by far is the top performer all things considered. The 285's can be pushed so much faster (surprisingly) than a 300 in my rifle. Nearly 70 fps faster at the same pressure signs - appreciable from a 15g projectile weight difference. Comparable BC on both also.

Seems to be equally solid in both AI and Sako factory barrels.

I tried the 285 AMAX a few years back, but ended up staying with the 300 Berger because I couldn't get the speed others were getting. I think 2,800 was max with Retumbo, and I was getting 2,800 with the Bergers. I have RL33 and RL26 on hand, and will probably go with one of those.

Reactions: AIAW
For those of you running 300gr Berger's... are y'all single feeding or are they shooting well at max mag length?

For those of you running 300gr Berger's... are y'all single feeding or are they shooting well at max mag length?

Lots of different throat dimensions and magazines out there, so that's a tough question. I keep them 10 thou off the lands, but they are pretty tolerant of jump and jam. Regardless of your setup I'm sure you can find a length that will work.

I single feed my ELR rifles. No need to mag feed. My 338lm is ss action any way. I’ve jumped the bergers as far as .180 and they did well in my rifle.