• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Backing into parking spaces?

Just because you can’t back into a space without doing a 12 point turn doesn’t mean that you should assume someone else can’t.
Lol...i know. I just think it's fun taking a parking place from somebody that's already passed up the spot.

If it is a wide open lot, I will just dump it front in - quick and easy.
If it is a tight spot between spaces/cars, I will back it in - better approach angle.

hmmm, the above statements may not be interpreted correctly, especially in the Bear Pit... :)

I don't get it. Why?

I see people spend crazy amount of time trying to line up, almost hitting cars on the side, often ending up crooked and just fucking leaving it there.
WTF? Enlighten me.
Unless your battery is in the trunk, how do you intend to get a boost if you need one, if you don’t have the front of your car exposed to the rest of the parking lot?
I’m never concerned with how quickly I need to get INTO a parking spot, but I may be concerned with how quickly I can get out of one.
If you can’t park straight backing up, perhaps driving really isn’t for you.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
Many workplaces where multiple folks might have to get their asses out in a hurry require back in parking - refineries, nat gas compressor stations, etc.
In 2019 I was able to visit the Arecibo Observatory. Got there, pulled into a parking space and headed toward the entrance. A security guard stopped me and said that I couldn't park nose-in, had to back in. I turned the car around then stopped by the guard shack to ask why that was required. His response was 'incase they should ever have to evacuate quickly'. There was nothing at the facility that was of any real danger as far as I know. It kind of gave the impression that they were staying prepared should any of the entities they were hoping to discover should ever come visit. Was kind of freaky..

• Haha
Reactions: Waorani
Proof? I hear this but have never seen it actually be true, quick google says the same. People who have worked at multiple DOTs saying no, not a thing.

Even the justification that you can't back up in a travel lane so can't back in doesn't make sense as parallel parking is all over, and the first move there is reverse from a travel lane.
F5DDC836-8FC9-41DA-818D-A57DDB669F29.png

Just because you can’t back into a space without doing a 12 point turn doesn’t mean that you should assume someone else can’t.
The way they lay the parking lots out for mini Cooper's and not real vehicles a 12 point turn is almost necessary. Especially when the distance between lanes is shorter than what you are driving.

I don't know why they layout the parking at the contractor entrance for priuses when most people using that entrance are driving full size vans or trucks.

Reactions: MadDuner
I back in when parking for one reason only. I don’t trust the idiots behind me looking for a space as I back out of mine.

The way they lay the parking lots out for mini Cooper's and not real vehicles a 12 point turn is almost necessary. Especially when the distance between lanes is shorter than what you are driving.

I don't know why they layout the parking at the contractor entrance for priuses when most people using that entrance are driving full size vans or trucks.
Yeah, pull in with a quad-cab dually long bed and try and not take 4 spots because the spaces are smaller than the truck....

My car's (2019 Honda Accord) backup camera has a wide angle view mode. I can no shit literally see around cars parked to either side of me when I park nose in and shift into reverse. I can actually see better around me with that camera than I can if I were to back in then drive out, as the Accord has a pretty long hood.

If your car has a good backup camera, and you know how to use it, it is likely safer and faster to back out than to drive fwd out of a spot.

It’s easier, believe it or not, to maneuver in a space while backing in, than it is to pull in forward. Why do you think all forklifts have rear wheel steering?

With a little practice, yes.

However, getting out by backing out is a lot easier than going fwd if you have a good backup camera.

However, getting out by backing out is a lot easier than going fwd if you have a good backup camera.

What if I also installed a forward camera?

PXL_20220104_182013563.jpg

The cowl on my van is about 5-1/2 ft off the ground, so this helps in certain situations.

Reactions: MCHOG

My issue with backing out is keeping an eye on all the yahoos that don't look before throwing it into R and blindly backing out into whoever else is trying to back out at the same time.

Reactions: Emerson0311
Much greater visibility getting backed into a space on arrival and then again on leaving. If I find someone on my ass, I’ll just slide over and let them go around. Most guys in a truck get it and don’t lose their shit. Most of the under forty crowd will look at you like you’re a public masturbater.

My issue with backing out is keeping an eye on all the yahoos that don't look before throwing it into R and blindly backing out into whoever else is trying to back out at the same time.

I can see them better with my backup camera than I can when driving out nose first because my eyes are about five feet behind the front bumper.

When I'm driving one of my two newer cars, which have BU cameras as std, I back out of a spot. It's orders of magnitude easier and safer.

Is easier, more civilized? Where the hell are you parking? It's definitely not faster, you have to basically do a 12 point fucking turn to back into a place... This is a parking place that you've already passed up.. Now you're blocking the through traffic cause you can't fucking park normal.

I guess that person behind you is expect to backup?

I do like the people pass an open space that back in when they're in front of me...always an opportunity to take "their" spot...lol

It’s a fast 1 point turn, pull up, stop, back in, takes no time, and if someone crazy/village idiot is riding your ass that close, you got other issues to sort before parking.

I can see them better with my backup camera than I can when driving out nose first because my eyes are about five feet behind the front bumper.

When I'm driving one of my two newer cars, which have BU cameras as std, I back out of a spot. It's orders of magnitude easier and safer.

Laughs in backing in large trucks with just the mirrors.

Much greater visibility getting backed into a space on arrival and then again on leaving.

Not in normal passenger car. Your view to the sides is blocked by cars either side of you. You're driving blind to each side until your head is past those cars blocking your side views.

The things that get argued about here. tsk.
I'm going to start a thread about toilet paper: Folded or crumpled?
Or blowing one's nose: one tissue or two? Or paper towel?
I believe there is a thread on this topic already

• Haha
Reactions: NoDopes
Based on the local parking lots I’m not sure about that ;)

You still don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about being able to see around cars parked either side of you when reversing.

This is what I see to the sides, which is a hell of a lot more than what you can see driving out fwd.
hqdefault.jpg

I'm not a transmissionologist, but it was explained to me back in the 80's (when I was driving vehicles with '70s drive-trains) that the first gear and reverse gear use the same 'parts'. And that the most 'wear' was on the reverse process, especially when it was cold.

Hence why most 'fleet' vehicles were mandated to park 'backed in'. This way, the transmissions lasted longer and were more reliable. Now, I've been parking 'reversed' for a number of decades now, simply out of habit, prudence, and preference. Mostly, I like the ability to simply 'drive away' whenever leaving anywhere.

If there are any other mechanical benefits to it or not, I don't know. It's what I was learned, long ago.

I back into parking spaces whenever possible using my mirrors and so it's second nature to me.

My archiac commuter car doesn't have a backup camera. I like the ease and visibility when pulling out of my spot.

You still don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about being able to see around cars parked either side of you when reversing.

This is what I see to the sides, which is a hell of a lot more than what you can see driving out fwd.
hqdefault.jpg
I drive older stuff.....
Mirrors or braille.

I back into parking spaces anytime I can, it's the best and safest way to park, also the best for if you have to get out of there in a hurry.
I'm slightly spoiled as my car has a rear view backup camera.

My daily driver used to be a Mini Cooper and my work truck is longer than a Suburban and I have no problem backing my crew cab into parking spaces. You have to be able to visualize your rear axle as your pivot point and know your turning radius.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
Just depends what kind of a FOV it has I suppose.

Same FOV as its sibling on the rear door.

I drive a couple of vehicles with absolutely horrible outward visibility (lifted full-size Ford van and 5th-gen Camaro). The single biggest factor in safely maneuvering these vehicles isn't the number/placement/performance of cameras or the direction I pull into parking spaces; it's having some spatial perception of the surrounding area when I leave. The only way something or someone gets into a blind spot is by passing through an area of visibility, unless it was already there... and we're all doing a quick check as we walk up to the vehicle, right?

Reactions: 308pirate
Lots of people(teens and women in trucks) think it looks cool for some reason, I prefer it pulling out of parking spaces. Looks gay as fuck when they can’t drive and it takes 4-5 tries.

I just whip in and out 99% of the time, don’t know what’s so hard. Most people can’t park pulling forward into a spot let alone backing in.

My first truck had no really usable mirrors, no cameras, no gauges. Y’all are spoiled with these cameras and sensors lol

What really riles me is when I am parallel parking and some idiot has to get right on my rear end and prevents me from backing into the parking space.

This is despite the fact that I signal my intentions well ahead of time and slow down early enough so they can clearly see that I'm going to park in the nearby empty space.

That's happened a few times and the idiot doesn't back up and looks at me like I'm stupid.

Rant over.

I'm not a transmissionologist, but it was explained to me back in the 80's (when I was driving vehicles with '70s drive-trains) that the first gear and reverse gear use the same 'parts'. And that the most 'wear' was on the reverse process, especially when it was cold.

Hence why most 'fleet' vehicles were mandated to park 'backed in'. This way, the transmissions lasted longer and were more reliable. Now, I've been parking 'reversed' for a number of decades now, simply out of habit, prudence, and preference. Mostly, I like the ability to simply 'drive away' whenever leaving anywhere.

If there are any other mechanical benefits to it or not, I don't know. It's what I was learned, long ago.
You’re still backing up either way? Sounds like some bs someone made up, there’s no difference backing in or out of a spot.

Insurance companies have data that shows it costs less to back into a spot as the chance and severity of an accident increases when backing OUT of a parking space. Although it seems counter-intuitive, backing into a space with parked cars reduces your chance for an accident, mainly because when you leave, you are looking "forward" and have better visibility to avoid a crash with a moving target in the parking lots, versus backing in and staionary objects.

FMF. First Move Forward. When we leave the office, shop or home we are focused on a task at hand, usually in a rush and tend to be less focused on the mundane stuff such as backing up. Most fender benders happen while backing up, so we do that task when we arrive. If you can’t back into your parking spot…well, I feel sorry for you. Yes, us people that back into the spots ARE superior to those that don’t.

What really riles me is when I am parallel parking and some idiot has to get right on my rear end and prevents me from backing into the parking space.

This is despite the fact that I signal my intentions well ahead of time and slow down early enough so they can clearly see that I'm going to park in the nearby empty space.

That's happened a few times and the idiot doesn't back up and looks at me like I'm stupid.

Rant over.
I throw it into park and turn the flashers on.....
After they squeal their tires driving past - I can park.

Reactions: Longshot231
Insurance companies have data that shows it costs less to back into a spot as the chance and severity of an accident increases when backing OUT of a parking space.
While BU cameras have been required in new cars for several years, the stupidity of the driver using it is the same. So while that data and its conclusion should become obsolete, it will not.

Although it seems counter-intuitive, backing into a space with parked cars reduces your chance for an accident, mainly because when you leave, you are looking "forward" and have better visibility to avoid a crash with a moving target in the parking lots, versus backing in and staionary objects.
Having parked both ways thousands of times, I don't buy it. When you're backed in your sideways visibility is restricted by what's parked on either side of you. Your eyes are several feet behind the front of a car and you're literally blind to the sides until you move fwd enough for your eyes to clear the cars that are blocking your view.

With modern BU cameras, I can see AROUND the cars parked either side of me without even turning my head. I have zero trouble seeing approaching cars on camera much earlier than I could if I was front facing out.

@E. Bryant and I must be the only people here who either have them or look at them.

FMF. First Move Forward. When we leave the office, shop or home we are focused on a task at hand, usually in a rush and tend to be less focused on the mundane stuff such as backing up. Most fender benders happen while backing up, so we do that task when we arrive. If you can’t back into your parking spot…well, I feel sorry for you. Yes, us people that back into the spots ARE superior to those that don’t.

giphy.gif

I backed into someone in college and I've backed into my spot ever since. Never was difficult, I was just too lazy to do it. Drivers have only gotten worse since then and I've never had an issue since. Was actually wondering why more don't back into spaces the other day

I wonder how many insurance claims about being 'side-swiped' in a parking lot.. but the owner never saw who did it? Probably somebody trying to back into a space.. If you know how to back up.. it sounds like it makes sense.. but I see so many people literally almost hitting cars and taking 4-5 tries to get it, sometimes, inside the lines.

At 2:30 for what I'm talking about... see this all the time.

However, lots of good reasons in here... I think I'll try it for a bit.

"I've got to walk too far".... "this parking place is too small...some people sound like those that complain they can't find the close parking place at the fucking gym.

The real retards are the ones that back in on directional parking then upset when they pull out and realize they're driving the wrong fucking way.... The look on their face is priceless when when they realize they have to backup...lol

• Haha
Reactions: supercorndogs
Unless your battery is in the trunk, how do you intend to get a boost if you need one, if you don’t have the front of your car exposed to the rest of the parking lot?
I’m never concerned with how quickly I need to get INTO a parking spot, but I may be concerned with how quickly I can get out of one.
If you can’t park straight backing up, perhaps driving really isn’t for you.
If you can't park straight going forward, exit a spot quickly in reverse, or without hitting other cars........:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: Tokay444
"I've got to walk too far".... "this parking place is too small...some people sound like those that complain they can't find the close parking place at the fucking gym.

The real retards are the ones that back in on directional parking then upset when they pull out and realize they're driving the wrong fucking way.... The look on their face is priceless when when they realize they have to backup...lol
They usually don’t back in they pull through.

If you can't park straight going forward, exit a spot quickly in reverse, or without hitting other cars........:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I don’t think I can accurately count the number of stupid “both people backing out at the same time and nobody looking” accidents I’ve witnessed in parking lots through the years. And I really severely doubt they are making any smarter drivers lately. I’ll continue to back in as a defensive maneuver!