• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing Backyard coyotes

Re: Backyard coyotes

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fred_C_Dobbs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you prefer something less 'passive,' a suppressed Ruger 10/22 shooting 60-gr subsonic Aguila ammunition through a 1:9 Tactical Innovations barrel works well and is stealthy. Remove the barrel band, attach a short Weaver rail underneath the stock and mount a Streamlight TLR-2. Covering the Streamlight's white light with a red or amber lens turns it into a combination kill light and aiming aid.

rnightrig.jpg

The OE wooden stock has the same flat spot that's perfect for attaching the Weaver rail.

This is a <span style="text-decoration: underline">slow</span> bullet (~915 fps) so it has a lot of arc, which makes your range dope critical. Both my 4x scope and my Streamlight laser are zeroed at 25 yards so I adjust POA according to whether the red dot appears above or below the crosshairs.

A dog's heart is well forward in its chest, protected from the sides by its shoulder and upper leg bones. This round can penetrate 18" in ballistic gelatin but is too little bullet (~120 fpe) to guarantee shoulder or even breastbone penetration so I wait for a broadside shot and aim to penetrate both lungs. I do get crawl-offs but puncturing both lungs guarantees a dead dog. The carcasses I've recovered show the 60-gr Aguila is well up to ending the coyote, even if it doesn't anchor them.

</div></div>

Can I borrow that? Yeah, they are still coming through, but I got a letter from my HOA about hanging the deer. Liberals
frown.gif
It's warm enough now to sleep with the widows wide open and things have quieted down with the neighbors so I should be in good shape. Bait that won't offend the neighbors is going to be key. No live chicken or dead deer in the neighborhood. I'll keep ya'll posted.

Ever think about a crossbow?

There's lots of places online like Varmint Al and Western Rivers who have electronic caller sounds you can download free. Use a boom box or connect your iPod to an external speaker to help "call them in." For beginners, the rabbit in distress sort of sounds like "Lightning Jack" are usually the most productive.

Check out the Predator Masters forum for tips on hunting 'yotes at night.

You guys are sure coming up with a lot of "work" just to kill a couple suburban coyotes! hahaha