• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Backyard Elk

Quarter Horse

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 17, 2010
    Carlton, OR
    Just trying to learn to post a pic. If it works, these are bulls in the back pasture.

Some of you guys enjoyed the original pics. Here are a few pics of the new crop. I don't think I've ever seen this many together while they're still in velvet. Usually we only see a couple together at one time while in velvet. This could be a very good year. There were seven a couple of days ago. Enjoy.

My original edit is not very clear. Pictures 2 and 3 are this years crop.

Attachments

• P1010024.jpg
      P1010024.jpg
      97.6 KB · Views: 10
    • P1010078.JPG
      P1010078.JPG
      655.8 KB · Views: 12
    • P1010080.JPG
      P1010080.JPG
      655.5 KB · Views: 12
    Last edited:
    I think I see Kaczynski waving from the porch back there. nice livin in the stix aint it :)

was sendin 210 vld's over the top of some white tail grazing yesterday. dude from city couldn't believe they just standing there while we shot the long target.

some beautiful bulls there!

I'm pleased you enjoyed the pic. of these guys. These bachelor groups show up in August and will hang around until early to mid Sept. They then break up and start to follow groups of the girls. This is about as small as these bachelor groups get and on some years there will be a dozen. The area is a trophy unit which means three points or better. The spikes and forks rarely hang with these bach. groups and are out with the cows and calves. So, a dozen means a dozen bulls that are 3x or larger.

Our elk are Roosevelts not the Rocky Mountain that are inland. They are substantially bigger then the Rocky Mtn. but with smaller racks both in spread and mass. The biggest bulls rarely show up with the bachelors as they have nothing to prove until breeding starts.

Believe me that I know exactly how lucky I am. Our place is only about ten minutes from town and a grocery store. A big Costco is about five minutes further away and Wal-Mart is coming next year. With all that, this valley may as well be a hundred miles from anything.

Graham, if you look at a map of the NW corner of Oregon you'll find the town of Astoria. Go S. along the coast to Gearhart and then E. about two miles. That's the Lewis and Clark R. valley and that's where our place is.

I get up every morning with a huge grin on my face. I'm sure there is a better spot somewhere but I have neither the time nor the inclination to look for it. I will try and post a pic. later with two of these bulls sparring.

Last edited:
    Let's see if i can remember my daughter's instructions. Two of the bulls sparring.

Attachments

• P1010025.jpg
      P1010025.jpg
      98.6 KB · Views: 13
    Damn... I am always stuck hunting the Cascades. I can't get a tag for the life of me... I only wish I could see that. In my case all of them are shooters... Only hoping I can get one this year. Season starts real soon... October 12-18th... I would be so happy just to get a spike even..... Your truly a lucky man to have that out your backdoor...

I could live in Oregon (use to live in Bend 40 years ago) except now the govt there is too damn liberal, hope that's not too political,