• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bad Brass or too hot?

Interesting! My Hornady comparator said my forster 308 go gauge was 0.004" shorter than SAAMI, but I know that tool is only good for comparing rather than an absolute measurement. I thought those widden gauges would be better the way people talk about them.

The SAC comparator looks nice.
The whole thing was a surprise to me and completely out of my wheelhouse. That is why I go to the experts. Whidden was short, condescending and rude. The whole 50/50 response really threw me. When I canceled my custom order the response was “Best email I've had all day. John” .....I emailed them a prepaid return label for my Manson gauge.

Manson and Forster treated me like I treat my customers. They were exceedingly helpful, patient and obviously knew more than me, which is what I depend on.

I purchased the Whidden tools more as a reference than anything. They might well have been fine for that but I lost faith based on my interactions with them. I’ll spend my money will companies that appreciate the business.

I have needles manufactured for our carburetor kits that have
profiles that must be held to extreme tolerances. These profiles and tolerances are considered a trade secret here. Such are these tolerances, that we had to search for a long time to find a company that we trusted could handle manufacturing them. A bad batch going into my kits for any length of time would be devastating. If we were off by .0010” we would be out of business. If you asked what’s the chance one of my needles are out of spec enough to cause and issue I would say 99.9% no. We have been selling these needles for over 10 years now and it has never happened. Our machinist has QC down to a six sigma science.

Last edited:
Don't take this wrong. Where are you from and is English your primary language? If it's not well all cut you a little more slack. Still though, your thoughts and description is not well presented.

My guess is you have a few issues that will persist if you continue on the current path.

Running multiple small lots of factor or reloaded ammo is a recipe for disaster if you aren't comparing it to as fired size so you resize correctly.
Annealing can help this but it can still be a problem.
If loading bulk ammo its not as much of an issue for something like an AR.
Load performance will vary brass to brass also because of internal size etc.

Headspace comparator is a referenced measurement not an absolute.

Hope this helps.
For the way you beat up on him for his grammar, what is factor brass. He who lives in a glass house shouldn’t throw stones. Money doesn’t buy you sense.