• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Bad Eyesight: FFP or SFP ???

BattleRifle

Private
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2013
I can’t decide between Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x32 FFP or the 2.5-10x44 SFP. I really want the FFP, but I’m in my 50’s and my vision is getting bad, bifocals etc. My concern is that if I get the FFP, when I use the optic on 2.5x, especially with illumination at night, will I be able to see the cross-hair adequately. Now, at 2.5x and close range I don’t care if I can read the small hatch marks. I just want to have a quick easy visual guide for reflexive man moa interdiction. What does the hive think about FFP vs SFP at the lower powers for people with poor eyesight?????
Thanks in advance!

I have found that first or second doesn't matter there, it is more about having a thicker reticle for me. Thin reticles are very hard for me to see. I have both first and second plane scopes and they work the same as far as seeing the reticle, thick is much, much better

I have found that first or second doesn't matter there, it is more about having a thicker reticle for me. Thin reticles are very hard for me to see. I have both first and second plane scopes and they work the same as far as seeing the reticle, thick is much, much better

So, in your opinion, do the PST scopes I'm considering have thick or thin reticle's?
Thanks.

BR,
I'm in the same boat as you. I'm not sure about the scope you mention, but the Viper PST 4-16 FFP has a huge reticle, almost to big when you crank it up to see small targets past 600 yards. It would box a prairie dog, so if it's the same one, I'd say you'd be good to go.

BR,
I'm in the same boat as you. I'm not sure about the scope you mention, but the Viper PST 4-16 FFP has a huge reticle, almost to big when you crank it up to see small targets past 600 yards. It would box a prairie dog, so if it's the same one, I'd say you'd be good to go.

I need to hear from somone who knows for sure if the reticle is smaller at lower magnifications with the FFP scopes (My intuition leads me to believe that this should be the case). I am thinking that whenever I shoot over 100 yds, I always have my optics maxed out anyways, so perhaps for me it makes more sense to just get the SFP, especially if the reticle is larger at low magnifications.

I'm 64 years old and have eyesight issues. I have the 6-24x50 ffp mrad viper pst and love it. I have no difficulties with the reticle at any magnification. However we are all different and you would be well advised to try out the scope before you purchase.

I've owned both, and still own the FFP model. The FFP reticle is very, very thin at 2.5X and may be hard to use - note that the MRAD version of the reticle has thinner outer bars than the MOA version, although their inner lines (with the hash marks) are roughly the same on both. The MOA version would be somewhat easier to use at 2.5x.

The SFP, older model scope has relatively mediocre glass at 10x, which I wasn't happy with at the price. I suppose if your eyesight is poor you may not notice - or it may make things even worse, I'm not sure.

While the PST model scopes are generally quite good, I'm not sure I'd choose either of their 2.5-10x models for someone with poor eyesight who wants useability at the low end. Depending on your needs I'd look at the SWFA SS 3-9x42 which has good glass quality and a FFP reticle that's still useable at 3x, or at some other, SFP scopes in that magnification range, such as the Weaver Super Slam 2-10x, Leupold VX-6 2-12x, Zeiss Conquest 2-10x, etc.

I need to hear from somone who knows for sure if the reticle is smaller at lower magnifications with the FFP scopes (My intuition leads me to believe that this should be the case). I am thinking that whenever I shoot over 100 yds, I always have my optics maxed out anyways, so perhaps for me it makes more sense to just get the SFP, especially if the reticle is larger at low magnifications.

FFP reticles vary in size (to your eye) as the magnification varies. (The curmudgeons will remind you that they stay the same size relative to the target, which is correct.) SFP reticles stay the same to your eye at all magnifications, and any calibrations are only accurate at one power, which is usually the highest power in scopes that max out at 15x or less.

FFP lets you do ranging and holdovers at any power, which is helpful if you are using a high magnification scope. For scopes that max out at 10x or less, I think it's an overrated feature, since 10x is generally useable under any conditions where you would want to do ranging or holdovers.

I am also in the same boat. I own 2 Vortex Vipers FFP 4-15X50 scopes and the reticle is just to small for my eyes. The lowest usable magnification I am comfortable with is 6X. IF I was younger it might not be a problem. I also have a Leupold Mk 6 1-6X FFP scope and while it is usable at 1x for quick shots close up the gradation are way to small for my eyes. The reticle seems thicker to me than the Viper so I can use the at 3X.

The mil reticle in Trijicons Accupoint is very bold. If that's what you're looking for it could be worth considering. Very good glass. Actually, the most common complaint I've heard from others is that the reticle is too thick for their liking.

It's a nice scope with positive adjustments and unique illumination. The turrets are not as audible as others in my opinion though. It's also SFP

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You might find this helpful...

I started a thread awhile back that discusses astigmatisms. There is a test included in the thread. I know first hand how difficult it can be to pick up your reticle. It's possible that over time this has developed. It will effect your ability to view your reticle more than problems with near/farsightedness which can be corrected with diopter on your eyepiece. Astigmatisms can not be corrected this way-

After correcting, the reticles in all of my scopes became more bold, darker and exponentially more visible. Its an incredible difference. It takes less than a minute to see if this could be a problem for you.

Click the link here below

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/showpost.php?p=2396093

Also, Burris' XTR line also has a pretty bold reticle. The posts are very fat and quick to pickup
Hope that's helpful-

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD