• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bad Winchester Brass

hugo121175

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2009
Near Reading, PA
Let me start by saying that I have used Winchester brass for a while now, and have never seen these problems.

All but 1, yes that is "One", case is trash! Most cases have cracks all the way around the shoulder, and some have depressions in the shoulder of the cases. Here are a couple of pics. I'm not sure if you can see the problems clearly....

100_3755.jpg

100_3754.jpg

I went to the Winchester website, but I cannot find any way to contact them. My LRS told me that I cannot return them since they have a "No Return" policy for reloading components. I'm guessing I may be out my $35.....

Re: Bad Winchester Brass

Winchester Corporate Office
600 Powder Mill Road
East Alton, IL 62024-1273
(618) 258-2000

There's a contact for you....

I use Win brass too and have been impressed, for the most part, with the quality. Any chance this is shipping or transport damage. Anyone could drop some bags of brass or beat them up between source and destination. Just wondering...

Thanx bobinNC: I'll give them a call
wink.gif

blue_ridge: There is no way this is from shipping. The bag was intact and it's not like the cases are crushed. From the looks of it they are either tool marks, or the brass was too hot or too cold when they formed it. Almost all of the cases have cracks 360 degrees around the shoulder of the case from neck to body.

Hugo

Thanx BadBot: only problem is when I called that number they said they don't handle components. That is customer service for their "Firearms Section"......

Called here: (618) 258-2000

After following some obscure voice prompts I was conected to an answering machine with no instructions...... I just left my name, phone number, and what the probmlem is. Now lets see how long it takes to get some kind of response......

Check out their FAQ: http://www.winchester.com/learning-center/faqs/Ammunition/Pages/FAQ.aspx

Select question #49.I have a quality issue with one of your products. What do I do?

Next link the "Contact Link", and see what happens.....

I'm starting to think it would be easier to find Osama Bin Laden than to find someone from Winchester Components to answer one question...... >:[

My UPS guy just dropped a Sinclair Box that had 100 rnds WIN 7mm WSM brass. I opened it immediately. A quick check and none of my cases had the problems you are experiencing. Of course I haven't shot them yet either.

I just had a bag of 243 that had 7 or 8 screwups out of 50. Mine all had something resembling an extra "flap" of brass that was squashed back in to the neck. No idea how that could reasonably happen during manufacturing. I just pitched them and moved on. And vowed not to buy any of my 308 brass in Winchester....sounds like I am not the only one that has found a QA slip.

WARDOG: These cases are new right out of the bag, and never fired. These cases are 270WSM. I have about 250 other Winchester 270WSM cases, and have never had this problem until now, even after firing.....

Yeah that's why I am in the process of necking down x300 .300 WSM NORMA brass to 7mm. Hence my posting here with so many questions about doing it. So many replies from shooters asking why not just use Win brass in 7 WSM My overall experience with Win brass has been poor. I just bought these to have on hand and to use as a gauge for my properly fireformed Norma brass.
Good Luck!

I ordered 3000 22-250 brass a couple of years ago from Powder Valley and about 250 of them had the same dimples on the shoulder as the far left piece in your first picture. Luckily, Powder Valley is a great company to deal with and they sent me 250 (actually closer to 300) when I called, even before I could ship the damaged ones back. Only time I have had a problem with Winchester brass (knock on wood). Probably shouldnt have said that since I have 500 7mm-08 sealed up in bags from Midway for an upcoming 260 build, but I suspect that Midway would take them back as well, from my experiences with them.

I had the same problem with some 243 brass.

Mailed back the bag and problem pieces of brass. They mailed me a $10 Winchester gift certificate and a letter telling me this should more than compensate me.

Tried using the gift certificate 2X. No one will take it. Can't use it anywhere that does mail order as payment. Worthless piece of crap. They could have mailed me a new bag of brass, but no. $10 crap certificate....

Won't be buying anymore winchester brass. Ever. That will more than compensate me....

Honestly, in the long run Lapua is cheaper. nuff said.

I just bought a bag(50) of the Winchester .300WM brass and three of the necks were split all the way up.

At least Remington will give you a couple extra in the bag in case some are junk. It seems a bag of 50 Win brass your going to get 40-45 that are good to use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hugo121175</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

All but 1, yes that is "One", case is trash! </div></div>

It's actually a lot cheaper to buy better brass right off the bat. You get more loads out of it and less (if any) scrap.

I run 100% Lapua (AA) and Lake City.

I just had a similar problem and just decided to scrap the bad ones. I will be buying premium brass from now on..

I just bought a bag of win brass, im going to look it over extra carefull

I just bought 500 Lapua and about a 100 of the necks were dented. Most resized and were fine. About ten percent of them were so bad that the necks buckled when resized. I just kept going and finally I thought, someone needs to know about this because I was getting pretty disappointed towards the end. I left an email on Lapua's site and one on Bruno's.

Within 15 minutes they both responded. The Lapua rep wanted me to send back some of the damaged ones and said that replacements would be sent. I told him that it was not necessary but they needed to do something different about the packaging and I just wanted them to know about it. He assured me that I had encountered too many damaged cases and that they were already aware and working on it.

A couple of days later of days later I received replacements. All 500 of them! Now you know who cares about there customers and product? I was shocked and frankly a little ashamed. That was not the response I was looking for. That was over the top to say the least but I am proud to see that there are still companies out there that care that much about what shows up at our door.

Hat's off Lapua! You have a customer for LIFE!