• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Badger M2013 light primer strikes?

mdonnr

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2012
Nebraska
Having a rifle built off a Badger M2103 and when breaking in the barrel, my gunsmith kept having FTF. He double checked the headspaced and it was GTG. He adjusted firing pin protrusion per Badger’s instructions up to maximum protrusion. The same ammuntion would fire with no issue in two other rifles that have the same chamber cut as mine.

So my question is, has anyone else dealt with this? I will call Badger on Monday to see if they have a solution such as a heavier spring.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

It could be the trigger timing not familiar with badger actions but if the cocking peace on the bolt is to short it doesn’t hold the firing pin back far enough to have enough momentum to hit the primer hard enough not if this helps but good luck

Reactions: bjay
Sorry didn’t Proof read my post but it should say not sure if this helps good luck

We find the Timney triggers are not reliable in Badger actions. Trigger time are our favorite aftermarket triggers. Problem with Timneys is the sear dosnt fall as far away as the Remington spec trigger, which the action was designed to use.

Does sear length make a difference? I remember Timney making long sear versions for 700 clones.

I haven’t heard of trigger time, do you have a link to their page or some contact info? Thanks

Marty do you mean trigger tech tigggers , I ask because I have my M2013 long action at GAP right now being build with a Calvin Elite, and I am about to send a short action M2013 to them for a build with a Calvin Elite, If i need to change triggers I just want to make sure I get the right one. OP sorry for the high jack

Montrose

Not a problem, I figured he was talking about TriggerTech but thought there was another trigger company that popped up recently.

Thanks for the update, I’ll be getting a TriggerTech going my gunsmith’s way here shortly.

I ran into the same problem on my M2013. I used a Timney 2 Stage Trigger (the red one, not the blue Calvin Elite) and immediately began to have light primer strikes. I installed a factory Remington trigger and no light primer strikes. I called Timney and spoke with Tim who advised there was nothing that could be adjusted in the trigger and no alternate/longer sears were available. Later, I found several posts in various forums where a replacement sear was available from Timney which would lengthen the firing pin fall.

I called Timney the next day and spoke with Nate who said, "Why sure, I'll send you the longer sear." A few days later I received a package with a replacement sear. I installed it, and no more light primer strikes. Per Marty's advise, I also shortened the firing pin protrusion to the shorter side of the recommended distance which increased the pin fall distance. Now 500 rounds later, no FTF/light primer strikes.

In the below photo, you can see the difference between the original sear and the "longer" sear (bottom) Timney sent. I'm glad I happened to speak with someone who knew more than the first guy I spoke with. Not everyone might make that second call.
IMG1436.jpg

Reactions: Msaon308
Yes, Trigger tech, auto correct on phone.

The issue is the sear does not drop far enough, this leaves the cocking piece dragging and no bang.
This wasn't the cause in my case. The sear was not dragging on the cocking piece. The cause was the sear not holding the firing pin back far enough.

I marked the top of the cocking piece with a Sharpie pen and cycled the bolt through a dozen dry firing cycles. Upon disassembly, there was no contact marks between the sear and the cocking piece. The photo below is a stock photo - the red arrows shows where on the cocking piece I applied the ink and did not see any contact marks.
m2013sa_2_1.png.jpg

Reactions: Badgerord
I ran into the same problem on my M2013. I used a Timney 2 Stage Trigger (the red one, not the blue Calvin Elite) and immediately began to have light primer strikes. I installed a factory Remington trigger and no light primer strikes. I called Timney and spoke with Tim who advised there was nothing that could be adjusted in the trigger and no alternate/longer sears were available. Later, I found several posts in various forums where a replacement sear was available from Timney which would lengthen the firing pin fall.

I called Timney the next day and spoke with Nate who said, "Why sure, I'll send you the longer sear." A few days later I received a package with a replacement sear. I installed it, and no more light primer strikes. Per Marty's advise, I also shortened the firing pin protrusion to the shorter side of the recommended distance which increased the pin fall distance. Now 500 rounds later, no FTF/light primer strikes.

In the below photo, you can see the difference between the original sear and the "longer" sear (bottom) Timney sent. I'm glad I happened to speak with someone who knew more than the first guy I spoke with. Not everyone might make that second call.
IMG1436.jpg
so you solved problem right ? OMG you saved my gun i build my M2013 action long time ago and because it light primer strikes I am planning to sell it, now it is time to give it another try!!!!

IMG1436.jpg
I just called them about the sear they told me that the one I have which is 2-STAGE CALVIN ELITE REMINGTON MODEL 700 has the long sear installed...... but I do find that the sear was dragging on the cocking piece. so no way around I have to but a trigger tech to get it to work.........

I just called them about the sear they told me that the one I have which is 2-STAGE CALVIN ELITE REMINGTON MODEL 700 has the long sear installed...... but I do find that the sear was dragging on the cocking piece. so no way around I have to but a trigger tech to get it to work.........
I PM'd you regarding Timney, but something else to consider. I had the benefit of owning an Accuracy International AX when I was building my M2013 rifle. When I examined the cocking piece of the AI action, there were faint marks caused by the trigger sear. From this, I think that some contact is normal. I have faint marks on my M2013 cocking piece, so some contact seems normal. Excessive marks would indicate dragging.

Have you measured your firing pin protrusion? The range is .042" - .062". Set yours at the .042" and test. Another point, this is a tough measurement to make with a caliper micrometer. Use a depth micrometer, it is much more stable and reliable. If you don't have access to one PM me, I'll loan you one.

not a badger, but i had the same issue with a timney 2 stage in a Curtis action...light strikes about every 5th round...switched to a Trigger Tech Diamond and a Huber, been 100% since...i could feel the difference in pin drop from the cocking shelf if you run the bolt slowly...the timney dropped quite a bit, the TT and Huber dont drop much at all...like the pic above, i could see the difference in the sears with the Timney vs TT/Huber

Sent a Trigger Tech to my gunsmith. While waiting for it to show, he dropped a factory 700 and a Rifle Basix in my Badger to try out. He had zero misfires with both and he ran factory ammo and reloads through the gun. The Timney had 3 misfires out of the first 5 shots though the gun.

I’m not saying Timney is a poor trigger company. They just weren’t working for me in this particular setup. I run a Timney in my Ar15 and most of my past 700 and Model 7 builds ran Timneys. Badger recommends Trigger Tech so I’ll go that route.

Sent a Trigger Tech to my gunsmith. While waiting for it to show, he dropped a factory 700 and a Rifle Basix in my Badger to try out. He had zero misfires with both and he ran factory ammo and reloads through the gun. The Timney had 3 misfires out of the first 5 shots though the gun.

I’m not saying Timney is a poor trigger company. They just weren’t working for me in this particular setup. I run a Timney in my Ar15 and most of my past 700 and Model 7 builds ran Timneys. Badger recommends Trigger Tech so I’ll go that route.
I bought a trigger tech works great and but I find out if you put a salvage spring in m2013 everything solves right now i am on my Timmy 2 stage about 400rd with CCI 250/ CCI br2 no misfire