• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Badger or DD Ross bottom metal?

wslowik

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Not looking for a DMB, so I'm looking at either the Badger M4 or DD Ross M1 USMC. I've heard some negative comments about the Badger bottom metal, but I've never had a product from Badger I didn't like, so I'm not sure which way to go. Both units look really nice, the DD Ross is about 30 bucks cheaper. Thoughts?

Re: Badger or DD Ross bottom metal?

Please advise what you have heard bad about the badger M4 floorplate? Before DBM was so popular this was pretty much the standard upgrade over the factory bottom metal. In fact I am currently having a rifle built with the M4. With that said I have never used the DD Ross bottom metal, however the USMC used the DD Ross prior to them going to the Badger M5 DBM.

I've seen the DD Ross floor plate and it looks like a tank,it's steel I believe,and the badger I've had before and it what a beefy floor plate too,IMHO you can't go wrong with either,goodshootin'

-Reagan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Katahdin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please advise what you have heard bad about the badger M4 floorplate? Before DBM was so popular this was pretty much the standard upgrade over the factory bottom metal. In fact I am currently having a rifle built with the M4. With that said I have never used the DD Ross bottom metal, however the USMC used the DD Ross prior to them going to the Badger M5 DBM. </div></div>

Nothing specific, just that it wasn't worth the money and was just a warmed over factory bottom metal. I think I also read that the finishing wasn't up to par with others. Can't remember where I read it.

Regardless of which way you go, you will not be able to blame misses on the floor plate. I only have experience with the DD Ross, but it worked flawlessly, just as I would expect the Badger to.

Oh, also, should I upgrade the factory box mag and follower? Or are the factory units good to go? If so, where can I get better parts? Haven't really seen any.

I have the D.D. Ross on my rifle, it's built like a tank, I think the trigger guard is a little wider than the Badger though I have never put calipers to it. I never had any issues with it, the rifles been to a few week long classes and no problem means a good choice. I went with the whole DD Ross ensemble rings,Base and bottom metal, for the coolness factor. As for the Badger stuff I have, I can say the same thing about the quality, it's top shelf.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wslowik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nothing specific, just that it wasn't worth the money and was just a warmed over factory bottom metal. I think I also read that the finishing wasn't up to par with others. Can't remember where I read it. </div></div>

Rest assured its not a warmed over factory bottom metal, it is much thicker than the factory bottom metal. Unlike the factory bottom metal you have to use your thumb and index finger to open the floorplate, so you don't accidentally release it. It is an improvement over the aluminum floorplate

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wslowik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh, also, should I upgrade the factory box mag and follower? Or are the factory units good to go? If so, where can I get better parts? Haven't really seen any. </div></div>

The factory box and spring should be sufficient for most purposes. If you have the new stamped follower, it will work fine, but the older style machined follower is much better made.

I have an M4 and love it. Very tough. I use the stamped follower and factory spring without any issues.

Can someone describe the difference between the latch on the two? It's hard to tell in the pictures.

Here is a pic that might help on the latch. DD Ross bottom metal on the left. That is a Williams M40 style on the right, which is nice also, but not nearly as beefy as the Ross or Badger.

The Badger is not some warmed-over factory metal, it is easily as beefy and well-built as the Ross. I just preferred the Ross release over the Badger unit which is inside the trigger guard.

2qtvmlx.jpg

Thanks! That definitely helps. The badger is more like the factory release, correct? I think I like the DD Ross release location better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: burneyr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is a pic that might help on the latch. DD Ross bottom metal on the left. That is a Williams M40 style on the right, which is nice also, but not nearly as beefy as the Ross or Badger.

The Badger is not some warmed-over factory metal, it is easily as beefy and well-built as the Ross. I just preferred the Ross release over the Badger unit which is inside the trigger guard.

2qtvmlx.jpg
</div></div>

After purchasing the DD Ross floor plate I have to admit I was really pleased with the quality. Dan Ross is a good guy and easy to work with....just hard to get on the phone.

I have one of the Williams "tactical" M70 style units (pictured above on the right). I have not mounted it up yet, but I can tell you it is one heavy duty piece. If you decided to go that route your trigger would be well protected.

I am saving it for a "special" build.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use the stamped follower and factory spring without any issues. </div></div>

I had the chrome plating start to chip off of my stamped follower. I never noticed any problems from it, but flakes of chrome where they shouldn't be just never sat well with me. Our M40's had the machined follower, so it was a no-brainer to swap it out. It was pretty cheap from Brownells.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wslowik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not looking for a DMB, so I'm looking at either the Badger M4 or DD Ross M1 USMC. I've heard some negative comments about the Badger bottom metal, but I've never had a product from Badger I didn't like, so I'm not sure which way to go. Both units look really nice, the DD Ross is about 30 bucks cheaper. Thoughts? </div></div>
Between the two I would go with a DD Ross. Like the Badger M4 the DD Ross is very heavy-duty, but from what I've seen the QC and finish on the DD Ross is better than the steel Badger M4s' I've seen.

Also, while I haven't seen a ton of either on rifles (thus the handful I have seen may not be representative of either product), two of the steel M4s' I have seen had binding problems. The two M4s' were matte blued and very sticky both in and out of their respective stocks. The matte blue and parkerized DD Ross' I've seen haven't exhibited binding problems at all.

Keith

If you are doing the assembly work yourself no matter which FP you choose be sure to check the clearance between the mag-well and the FP.

I haven't had a chance to use the Badger or DD Ross but went with the Williams and couldn't have been happier. Plenty strong enough, it wasn't super heavy, and the price was right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use the stamped follower and factory spring without any issues. </div></div>

I had the chrome plating start to chip off of my stamped follower. I never noticed any problems from it, but flakes of chrome where they shouldn't be just never sat well with me. Our M40's had the machined follower, so it was a no-brainer to swap it out. It was pretty cheap from Brownells. </div></div>

Do you have the Brownells part number for that?

Thanks for all the comments guys - decisions, decisions...

I run three rifles with Badger M4....no complaints. Never had one come open by accident. Two are steel and one is alloy.

So, now fast-forward 12 years...

DD Ross is running steel bottom metal for the M40A3, and it looks like Badger M5 is aluminum alloy. USMC started with DD Ross, and later moved to Badger, and I believe Badger had the M40A5 contract. Not sure if there was any good reasoning to that. Lighter rifle? Lower price? I have not heard bad things about either. We are going to be stocking a lot of M40 parts, no gunsmithing. Looking for feedback on both bottom metal pieces.