• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Badger ordnance slick system

Wbg

Petty officer second class
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2013
Looking at the above for scope, seems to have good reviews. Any other comparable systems that I might want to consider before purchasing?
Any issues with using this mount?
TIA

There are several kits. Some good, some ok and some very expensive. I have used all 5 of these and they all have their pros and cons. It depends what your goal is with them, and/or if you are attaching IR lasers/optics, clip on’s in front, or cameras behind.

Larue tactical SPOTR
PRO - can customize spacing height and attachments. CON - very expensive / designed to mount scope inverted

Spuhr Leupold Spotting Scope Ring- A-0601
PRO - very small / slim design. Cheapest initially. CON - will have to buy more attachments to attach anything, will have to remove cover (if that matters)

Cadex Defense Leupold Spotting Scope Kit
PRO - this kit has everything to mount in front of and behind CON - very bulky/heavy (entire system), very very expensive, designed to mount scope inverted

Badger Ordnance SLICK
PRO - very small / slim design, Very affordable. CON - have to remove cover (if that matters), can become very bulky

Kinetic Optics Hub (as above)

My personal fav is the Badger Ordnance SLICK.

Reactions: Ehtacs
OK, maybe shouldn’t have said very affordable. I think you’re right about $500, and you don’t see to many for sale second hand. But in perspective, spending $400+ for Spuhr mounts for my rifle scopes $500 doesn’t seem like much.
These were just my quick thoughts, all debatable.

I have the Badger SLICK and I like it but really only use it to mount the Cateye objective cover and my LRF on the top rail. The only reason I bought it was Eurooptic had a Black Friday sale a few years ago where, for less than $1500 you got a Leupold Mk 4 TMR spotter, Badger SLICK, and Leupold Delta Point Pro. With the SLICK, Badger Spotter Protective Filter (I call it the Cateye lens cover because that's what looks like), and Badger Spotter Cover, I could mount whatever I wanted on it and it's very well protected.

A disadvantage that the SLICK has is that you can't use most of the Leupold spotting scope covers with the SLICK. I had to buy the Badger Spotter Cover which is made by First Spear and is designed to work with the SLICK. The SLICK attaches to your Leupold spotter - the bottom Picatinny rail bolts to the spotting scope 1/4-20 threaded mount, and the front accessory mounting ring which is a two piece clamp bolts the the aluminum objective section of the spotter, so you really can only use the Badger Spotter cover with it.

I haven't used one but by the looks of it, the Kinetic Optics Hub is more versatile and less expensive. Your spotter with whatever cover you are using will fit inside the aluminum housing and it will work with other spotters besides the Leupold. The SLICK is made only for the Leupold. Plus M lok stuff is inexpensive and readily available.
IMG_4288.jpg
IMG_4287.jpg
IMG_4286.jpg

Thanks for all the replies, I’m not running a cover so that’s not a worry.
My biggest worry is knocking this thing over and busting the mounting screw hole.
I should have said I am using a hensoldt scope, I thought most manufacturers would cover all brands.

@tk427 What bracket/mount atached to your tripod that holding the Kestrel unit with the wind vane?

I found it on Adorama a camera supplier https://www.adorama.com/cmvc2472.html they have a bunch of similar items and im sure available elsewhere too

@tk427 Which mount is that under the Terrapin X?

This ones not so easy, i kinda made it. I took an old picatinny Harris bipod adapter and ground off the stud, drilled and counter sunk for a 1/4x20 cap head bolt. set up the initial alignment to colimate then cut shims to fine tune it. it was a cheap fix but its permanently attached unless i want to align it every time i head out.

However, i've just found one of these on ebay and will be replacing it this weekend

1588339536035.png

Actually it came with small parts not needed for a Kestrel mount, like a camera shoe etc. I only used the clamp and arm to attach the Kestrel mount. All threads are 1/4 x 20 so really easy to set it up as long as you have the full Kestrel wind vane parts. I have no doubt theres other options but this worked for me without spending a,month researching a solution

Reactions: TangoSierra916
However, i've just found one of these on ebay and will be replacing it this weekend
1588339536035-png.7313949

Dang !!! That's looks 97% just like the mount on the Elcan M145c MGO !!!

49961073582_ae9a30678b_k.jpg

But I can see it would have numerous other uses with that interface !!! I'm headin' off to look for some !!!

So if we had a few hundred of those, then whenever anyone said, "I wanna different LRF to mount on my rifle" ... we could tell 'em to get one of these mounts and pick the LRF of their choice, right !!??

The m145Cs seem to hold zero, I have two of them !

Is that a "rubber" block on the top of the ELCAN mount ? Maybe that's the part that doesn't hold zero ...

And well, maybe there are not 100 of these ELCAN mounts laying around waiting to get convert to LRF mounts?

Ok, maybe this critter isn't gonna save the world after all ... :(

The m145Cs seem to hold zero, I have two of them !

Is that a "rubber" block on the top of the ELCAN mount ? Maybe that's the part that doesn't hold zero ...

And well, maybe there are not 100 of these ELCAN mounts laying around waiting to get convert to LRF mounts?

Ok, maybe this critter isn't gonna save the world after all ... :(

I've been tracking this option recently as well. One of these mounts recently sold on ebay for a steal compared to what you'd pay for the APO version. As far as I can tell all that needs to be done is to create a top plate that interfaces with the v-block of the Elcan mount. I'm betting that's what @The King did.

If anyone finds a source on these mounts for cheap, please let me know. It would be a fun project to refurbish one of these old mounts and build an adapter plate for my Terrapin-X.

20200609_162134.jpg

Little illustration of what a slick and Abel table can do, lets me run an MK4 TMR spotter, Kestrel on a vane mount, Smart phone, and my Trimble all off the same platform. I'm going to add an LRF wing mount to the Abel table on the right hand side with a RRS mini ball for ranging.

Mind you, I can add or subtract any component in seconds. I wouldn't bring all this shit and set it all up unless I was planning on a lot of spotting and observing with newer shooters or ROing or something.

Starting to get into ELR so I've been upgrading my observation platform a bit for that.

Reactions: cschastain2
Some cool stuff here. I want to be able to mount:

1. Swaro spotter
2. Leica 2700B

And the potential to use a set of binos mounted as well.

Thoughts?
Thanks everyone!

View attachment 7341366
I’ve posted this before, the slick kit works well. I can mount my kestrel on the other side also. It works well having everything connected in one platform.
Is the case on the Hensoldt a Triad Tactical? Ocular cover doesn't look like the Triad. What "stay-on" covers for Henny 60 are people using? Triad is only stay-on case I've found. Thanks.

Is the case on the Hensoldt a Triad Tactical? Ocular cover doesn't look like the Triad. What "stay-on" covers for Henny 60 are people using? Triad is only stay-on case I've found. Thanks.

Cause thats not a Hensoldt... It's a Leupold Mk4 with Badger Ordnance Cover. They're suppose to make one for the Henny to ft with the Slick-H...

View attachment 7347762
Little illustration of what a slick and Abel table can do, lets me run an MK4 TMR spotter, Kestrel on a vane mount, Smart phone, and my Trimble all off the same platform. I'm going to add an LRF wing mount to the Abel table on the right hand side with a RRS mini ball for ranging.

Mind you, I can add or subtract any component in seconds. I wouldn't bring all this shit and set it all up unless I was planning on a lot of spotting and observing with newer shooters or ROing or something.

Starting to get into ELR so I've been upgrading my observation platform a bit for that.
Wow-what a setup.

Reactions: LawnMM
I know this is an older thread but I recently got a leupold gold ring hd 12-40 and started looking at the slick mount. My question is to the the people that have used it with the pvs-30 in the front , how well does it work? Anyone have any pictures of what the image looks like through the scope with the Pvs-30 mounted in front?

Is having the pvs-30 on the leupold superior to using a scope to spot with (strictly image wise) , or will it be to dark due to 12x magnification on the leupold? Is the Pvs 30 in front give a superior image to a pvs 14 behind the leupold (also looking at Snap mount).

I like how the slick mount looks and ability to mount rangefinder to it. recently I have been using a TVS-2 to spot at night and it works well (much brighter than pvs-30 but limited to fixed 7x and hugh!!). If the 30 works well, it would be a lot easier to carry.

Thanks for any feed and especially if some can post pictures .

20220308_190939.jpg

You can get pretty creative with it. Here's a Burris thermal with a home made sunshade from a Badger coozie.

Works on 12x and adds some night capability to the system. Also works in tandem.

20220308_192845.jpg

Haven't ordered my SNAP yet but plan on giving that a whirl soon too. I've heard it does lose light going through the spotter though so you need supplemental illumination. Steiner D2 planned for 12 o' clock up top

Along with some other goodies as funds present themselves. Sorry I can't answer PVS30 questions specifically I don't have one to play with.

You might consider looking for a used and burnt up Pvs27 and having it returned with a new WP tube for a more economical high performance option.

Reactions: phillyray
View attachment 7824828
You can get pretty creative with it. Here's a Burris thermal with a home made sunshade from a Badger coozie.

Works on 12x and adds some night capability to the system. Also works in tandem.

View attachment 7824829

Haven't ordered my SNAP yet but plan on giving that a whirl soon too. I've heard it does lose light going through the spotter though so you need supplemental illumination. Steiner D2 planned for 12 o' clock up top

Along with some other goodies as funds present themselves. Sorry I can't answer PVS30 questions specifically I don't have one to play with.

You might consider looking for a used and burnt up Pvs27 and having it returned with a new WP tube for a more economical high performance option.

Wow, that looks really awesome! I dont have a thermal but down the road hope to get one. Do you have any pictures through the leupold with the Burris on? The set up looks awesome!

I currently have a Pvs-30 and works well with my rifle scopes but I usually keep the magnification between 3x-6x. I have a Torch Pro IR and the adapter to use the 3x magnifier to extend range of the Torch but I have not used with the Pvs-30 yet.

I tried the pvs14 behind a bushnell legend t-spotter and with IR light it worked great for 100 yards and in, pretty decent for like 300 yards , but not good really beyond that. Now the leupold has a 12x vs the 15x of the bushnell and it's much better glass on the leupold. But, my experience with the pvs14 behind the bushnell was not great, I was not satisfied. Hoping to hear how the pvs 30 in front does and I am guessing an IR is needed due to high magnification.

What kinda PVS14? I've heard the newer white phosphor units do a lot better.

I have some photos and even some video but honestly they suck, the eye relief for the video isn't right so it looks way worse than it does to your actual eyeball.

I'm trying to get my hands on the video output cable for the thermal.

Actually, you gave me an idea to try but it won't be something I can attempt till Friday night.

I'll try hooking up my digital camera to the spotter with the thermal up front. Might be able to get everything synced up better with that.

Reactions: Cagey-platpus
What kinda PVS14? I've heard the newer white phosphor units do a lot better.

I have some photos and even some video but honestly they suck, the eye relief for the video isn't right so it looks way worse than it does to your actual eyeball.

I'm trying to get my hands on the video output cable for the thermal.

I have a green tube, I got it from JRH and believe it was made by nightvision depot (hp+ model ). Only experience I had with a white tube was with an armasight Co-lr. The images between the Co-lr vs the pvs-30 were similar, certain colored objects appeared better in white tube and other objects appeared better in the green depending on the color.

I am kind of torn between the Slick vs Snap, but my past experience was not great with pvs14 behind the bushnell so I dont want to waste money if it doesn't work well (image wise). I have not tried the pvs14 behind leupold yet , I am curious about the pvs-30 in front of the leupold. For night observation the Tvs-2 is great but really big and heavy (don't like to lug it around).

Well, price is a factor. The snap is like $150 and the slick is upwards of $400

Longer vid put some notes on what you're seeing in the description, followed a person out to like 320yds, picked up a birds nest in the high 200s, HVAC unit on a roof at 500+ on a commercial building, you can see vehicles, buildings, dryer vents on houses, etc.

Reactions: Cagey-platpus