• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bags, bags and moar bags

DocRDS

Head Maffs Monkey
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
The Great Beyond
Listening to boss man and friends on ES podcast and they were talking about the functions of the different bags. Unfortunatly I think they assumed all of us knew what they were saying.

Rear Bag: What Defines a rear bag for shooting
Hybrid Bag: ?
Front Bag: What is a front bag.

I often use my OGC (fortune cookie) as a rear as it is really the only thing appropriate (that I have--a PRS guy said if you get 1 bag, get the OGC, so I did). I have a small wiebad i use sometimes as well to try and 'pinch' as instructed via the training videos, but most times I end up with the OGC. Perhaps I should get to a question:

If I am shooting prone, what type of bag should I be using?
What's the purpose of the fortune cookies--is it primarily barricades?
What the hell is a front bag--everything has bipods now adays. I kinda need the idiots guide to bags 101. Especially as I always seem to be fighting mine to be comfortable off the bench (I don't have a place to shoot prone yet).

Kinda lost me on OGC + fortune cookie, isn't that "Original game changer"?

As to the prone aspect, is your bipod height and position being determined by a prop/obstacle/angle or purely comfort?
The first 3 may require something other than the "standard" bag.
Fortune cookies and Game Changers are for barricades and irregular surfaces, either can be adapted for improvised uses.
I assume by "front bag" they are talking one of the various flat bags that go under the fore end/handguard; ColeTac flatbag with a backbone plate, or one of the gamer plates with a small flat bag attached to it.

Reactions: Darkside-Six
Yeah Original Game Changer--I thought some people called them fortune cookies--I'm sort of an island so I pick up lingo and don't know if its local/general etc...

Sadly, my bipod height is usually determined by barricade--the overhangs actually limit vertical rise so it is always a fight to get comfortable as I am tall and the opening (bench height to barricade overhang) is rather small--think of it as shooting out a narrow window.

However, assuming I am prone--comfortable shooting position, shooting for load development and/or accuracy/fundamentals practice with a bipod--what are the general dimensions/shapes of THAT kind of rear bag--that's what I am looking to 'fix' in my situation--build a stable rifle position in the prone or at worst, from a bench. That's the biggest problem right now--the Game Changer just isn't big enough, my wiebad is WAY too small except when I really lower the bipod, but i need that bipod up.

For prone outside of artificial match restrictions, likely taller than you think, that's where the rectangular bags come in.

Take a look at the Precision Underground stuff. If have someone that shoots with you look at the Velayo video on "building a bridge" and have them measure the gap between the rifle butt and the ground, you may need something taller than ordinary.

Reactions: DocRDS
Yeah Original Game Changer--I thought some people called them fortune cookies--I'm sort of an island so I pick up lingo and don't know if its local/general etc...

Sadly, my bipod height is usually determined by barricade--the overhangs actually limit vertical rise so it is always a fight to get comfortable as I am tall and the opening (bench height to barricade overhang) is rather small--think of it as shooting out a narrow window.

However, assuming I am prone--comfortable shooting position, shooting for load development and/or accuracy/fundamentals practice with a bipod--what are the general dimensions/shapes of THAT kind of rear bag--that's what I am looking to 'fix' in my situation--build a stable rifle position in the prone or at worst, from a bench. That's the biggest problem right now--the Game Changer just isn't big enough, my wiebad is WAY too small except when I really lower the bipod, but i need that bipod up.
The “Gamechanger” line of bags were designed by Reesor(sp) and made by Armageddon Gear. The “Fortune Cookie” bags are made by Wiebad.
Two differnent bags that serve the same purpose.

Reactions: DocRDS
Yeah I reached out to P Underground for advice (lots of options). Waiting to hear back. The 3d, pro or RX could all be what i need

What rifle are you using?

In a stocked rifle for just load development, I always default to a tall bunny ear bag.

On a chassis, I'll go to a game changer, or a fat bag, or one of the weibad round bags.

I go out and shoot the hell out of my B14r in a bravo with all my bags, changing them up, trying new things, and trying to learn what works for me on the obstacles. The .22 will teach you how good your bag setup/choice is because if it wiggles with the .22, it's not good enough for the centerfire. Once I get something figured out that works and my .22 doesn't wiggle, I'll switch out to my 243ai and bang some steel and see how I like it.

One of the best things I ever did for my long range rifle game, was start shooting all the .22 matches I can get to. 1-2 match a month for $30-50 in ammo and entry is such cheap training it's great.

The beauty of the game changer and fortune cookie bags is that, while they really shine on irregular obstacles and barricades, they work really well as front bags and rear bags too. They are rectangular prisms in general shape, which gives you 3 heights to work from. And, they are firm but have enough give that you can squeeze them as a fine adjustment rear bag. I have a bunch of bags, but my favorite is the original fortune cookie. But, I just received a sticky pint sized game changer that may dethrone the king. It has a fill spout that allows customization of the amount of fill- the fortune cookie does not. If you are looking for one support bag, forget the rest and get a GC or FC.

Last edited:
Reactions: spife7980
One of the biggest things we have to correct in classes is the improper use of fortune cookie/gamechangers in the rear.

They will work, but I’d say probably 80% of students we see are not using them properly. Most drop in on the ground or bench, sit the rifle on it, and and then work around that. This will work fine for shooting 2moa steel.

It will however show up as vertical stringing (similar to breathing errors) when shooting groups.

One of the biggest things we have to correct in classes is the improper use of fortune cookie/gamechangers in the rear.

They will work, but I’d say probably 80% of students we see are not using them properly. Most drop in on the ground or bench, sit the rifle on it, and and then work around that. This will work fine for shooting 2moa steel.

It will however show up as vertical stringing (similar to breathing errors) when shooting groups.
This

I try and use it as in the videos but I have trouble pinching it and stock and getting level.

I have an armageddon gear x wing that I love for a rear bag just wish I'd have gotten the bigger one. Oh well I'll get one eventually

Perfect thread to ask this question - I need a "general purpose" front bag that will see a lot of use zeroing red dot sights and confirming zero on AR's off a bench, with a 20-round magazine loaded up.

What front bag would you reach for if you wanted to go zero your AR-pattern rifle's electronic sight off a bench at an indoor range? Game Changer? Wiebad Range Cube? AG Fat Bag?

I know that depending on the fill, some of these bags sag or cradle a lot more than others. For example, if I'm resting my handguard on a 10" tall bag, but it sags down to 5" in height, I might have clearance issues with the surface of the bench.

Last edited:
Perfect thread to ask this question - I need a "general purpose" front bag that will see a lot of use zeroing red dot sights and confirming zero on AR's off a bench, with a 20-round magazine loaded up.

What front bag would you reach for if you wanted to go zero your AR-pattern rifle's electronic sight off a bench at an indoor range? Game Changer? Wiebad Range Cube? AG Fat Bag?

I know that depending on the fill, some of these bags sag or cradle a lot more than others. For example, if I'm resting my handguard on a 10" tall bag, but it sags down to 5" in height, I might have clearance issues with the surface of the bench.
I would want a bipod or a benchrest so you can actually get it up high enough to not have it resting on the table elsewhere.

If you must have a bag to use the full size game changer is going to be the popular bag that gets up tall enough.

Here is a mini fortune cookie, a tater tot, a full size game changer, a pint game changer.
48B47150-A8D6-459E-B3BB-63D8191FCB2A.jpeg

The full is notably taller when stood on end.

Using these as a front bag on a table is going to leave you very little room to fit a bag under most butt stocks. That’s why they are usually used a rear bags on a flat surface.

You want a bipod. You'll kick yourself for not doing it earlier. I shoot off a bench a lot doe to local range restrictions in a large metro. A bipod is 10X better than a bag.

Get an Atlas and a rail, then just put front rails on all your rifles. I have a Harris from the good old days and an Atlas. The atlas services most of my rifles (and I lose count how many rifles--multiple ARs big and small--all my bolt actions, but its 1 bipod). For older rifles with just a sling stud, the harris.

The only rifles I don't use a bipod for are my M1A and my Garand. And I'm working on the M1A.....

A bipod. And get a 10 round mag for bench shooting- no clearance issues with the bench…

You want a bipod. You'll kick yourself for not doing it earlier. I shoot off a bench a lot doe to local range restrictions in a large metro. A bipod is 10X better than a bag.

Get an Atlas and a rail, then just put front rails on all your rifles. I have a Harris from the good old days and an Atlas. The atlas services most of my rifles (and I lose count how many rifles--multiple ARs big and small--all my bolt actions, but its 1 bipod). For older rifles with just a sling stud, the harris.

The only rifles I don't use a bipod for are my M1A and my Garand. And I'm working on the M1A.....

A bipod. And get a 10 round mag for bench shooting- no clearance issues with the bench…
I may get a bipod for my 16" upper but I wound up with an AG Fat Bag (medium) for my SBR's - utility is just for zeroing/confirming red dot sights. I'm a huge fan now, and what's more, it gives me a good rest for zeroing handgun optics as well.