• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spartan6

Combat infantryman
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2017
Branson Missouri
Ok guys I’m new so don’t crucify me...I’m interested in gas gun series...with that being said I’m a combat veteran and I’m used to using military issue gear for the most part. Besides the fact im using a fixed 10 power scope(lots of time behind it) I don’t get all the bags I see in the videos... I use a sand sock and a bipod if the situation permits...but I’m seeing a lot of mid bags and large bags strapped to weapons... it looks very cumbersome. Like I said in the beginning I’m new to this so don’t bite my head off telling me why you use bags and why I’m a idiot for not using them...Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks

The bags do two things
1. Cushion and support the rifle when laid on a narrow/irregular object like barricades and such
2. Fill in gaps between your body parts that should be in contact (like elbow and thigh/knee) when shooting from unorthodox field positions

Many, many equipment and technique improvements/developments from competitive shooting eventually make their way to .mil use.

Well said, I will have to experiment with them in the future. I thought maybe some of the guys were using them to protect their weapons from scratch’s and such, that’s not something I’m worried about personally. I think it will take some getting used to, I’m still worried about toting them around through a stage and them not getting in the way...and I’m never crazy about extra weight lol.

So what bags should I be looking at? I have some old bench bags but I’m not sure that’s gonna work great lol

I use 3 different bags depending on the situation, and don't need anything else bag wise. As stated above, I use them for a multitude of reasons. I use the Tactical Udder for increasing surface area on barricades, tree branches, pipes, or rocks. This allows for a slightly flatter/more stable support for the rifle. Then I use the "gamer bag" for different open body locations in funky positions, for example between elbow and knee when in a high kneeling position, or between my butt and my left foot in a similar position. The other spot I use it is when a bipod tends to hop like on a car hood or roof. The bag absorbs the energy and allows for a straight back recoil impulse that allows you to spot a miss or impact a bit better than off a bipod when you can't properly load it. The rear bag I use for a rear bag but also for filling body voids from time to time or under a knee when I need to get an inch or two higher, etc.

My rear bag is a Traust - very light weight, locks up tight with a bit of squeeze pressure and very versatile. The fill and the lighter weight fabric make for a great combination.
My "big bag" is also a Traust - The "Gamer Bag" is like a pump pillow but has a lot of extra features that come in handy (sling strap, center "belt" to cinch it up tight and make it stand up taller/more solid, easily refillable, etc)
For barricades, rocks, pipes, etc I use the "tactical udder" or saracen bag.

The guy behind Traust is a good friend of mine and myself and a few other Colorado based shooters have all had input into his gear. He's taken all that input and put it into a complete package that seems to make all of us pretty happy. Give them a look.

All Available from Bison Tactical and Mile High also carries the Traust bags.
https://www.bisontactical.com/collec...ka-saracen-bag
https://www.bisontactical.com/produc...ng-accessories

https://www.milehighshooting.com/traust-position-bags/
https://www.milehighshooting.com/traust-rear-bags/

Don't think you NEED to have these bags to be competitive. I have yet to find a stage I couldn't do with my backpack and standard size TAB rear bag. I find it is more of a time waster and hassle working a stage out trying to fiddle with bags. Your money and time would be better spent on ammo and dry fire practice learning how best to build bone supported positions (or with the backpack/rearbag).

in my opinion it takes away from the original purpose of these types of competitions...field shooting. Ive never seen a hunter or mil/le dragging almost a whole packs worth of bags to do what they have to do. I also think it sends the wrong impressions to new shooters thinking they need 100s of dollars worth of bags to be able to shoot.

just my .02

Don't think you NEED to have these bags to be competitive. I have yet to find a stage I couldn't do with my backpack and standard size TAB rear bag. I find it is more of a time waster and hassle working a stage out trying to fiddle with bags. Your money and time would be better spent on ammo and dry fire practice learning how best to build bone supported positions (or with the backpack/rearbag).

in my opinion it takes away from the original purpose of these types of competitions...field shooting. Ive never seen a hunter or mil/le dragging almost a whole packs worth of bags to do what they have to do. I also think it sends the wrong impressions to new shooters thinking they need 100s of dollars worth of bags to be able to shoot.

just my .02

To tell a newer shooter he’s going to be competitive with the best shooters out there using no aids while the best shooters are using aids is a disservice

A fortune cookie or game changer and a Pump pillow are all that’s needed to tackle most everything...if it’s a time waster, learn how to use them...if you aren’t shooting 75%+ at Matches then you could be more accurate

Reactions: nmmi9100
To tell a newer shooter he’s going to be competitive with the best shooters out there using no aids while the best shooters are using aids is a disservice

A fortune cookie or game changer and a Pump pillow are all that’s needed to tackle most everything...if it’s a time waster, learn how to use them...if you aren’t shooting 75%+ at Matches then you could be more accurate

Never said he would be more competitive or less using the variety of bags. Just simply said he doesn't NEED them. If he chooses to or not is up to him but regardless of using all the bags or not hes gong to have to put time into perfecting either method.

I still feel it does eat some time off your stage. Ive practiced with them and really gave them a shot but fact is you still have a big bulky bag either strapped to your gun, your arm or dragged around on a lanyard you have to worry about maneuvering through your stage. For stages with only one position ok but for those with 2, 3...5+ positions it would pay to know how to build your body into a better support than monkeying with bags on the stage.

everyone is different.. what works for me may not work for someone else. Just seems more and more I see people pushing new competition shooters into all these bags and I believe the preceived "pay to play" it can put off will eventually hurt the growth. Just trying to give the guy some other experiences not running these bags.

What works is what is winning and I see what the top guys are doing...they have the bags when/where they need them

Worth noting that Mr. Lamprecht finished 32nd out of over 500 shooters in the 2017 PRS final overall standings.

I am new to PRS and am practicing off of every structure I could. I am wondering from a know nothing prospective would it be better to try practicing without and get used to making due with out or grabs some bags practice.

Second question, is there ever matches that don't allow bags?

I am wondering from a know nothing prospective would it be better to try practicing without and get used to making due with out or grabs some bags practice.
I would do both

I don't think there's one that bans ALL bags, but I've read on this forum how some matches limit what you can take with you, including the quantity (and maybe the size) of bags you can take onto a stage.

I am new to PRS and am practicing off of every structure I could. I am wondering from a know nothing prospective would it be better to try practicing without and get used to making due with out or grabs some bags practice.

yes, like 308 mentioned ^^ learn with both...some matches only allow the use of 1 bag per stage, other times some stages are anything goes and other stages are no extra support allowed

the shooter needs to be able to weigh the stage and see what approach fits...if its a solid prop with a bunch of positions, fast time, and a bigger target up close, id roll with nothing...if its a sketchy prop, with generous time, and small targets/far targets, figure out a way to make the bags work

Don't forget to learn how to use a sling as a shooting support. There are some obstacles where using a sling (either by itself or with some bags) will make a world of difference. And then there are stages where it is the only support you're allowed to use.

I really do appreciate it guys...I’ve picked up a few bags and I love shooting with them...when I’m shooting...I still haven’t tried running through a stage or anything with them...still not sure about all that...but if there’s not much moving I think I’ll use them for sure.

What are everyones thoughts on the Nameless Bag set from Wiebad?
http://wiebad.mybigcommerce.com/nameless-bag/

Been looking at buying some bags for this upcoming season. I currently only have the game changer and am in the market for a rear bag and I could use the pump pillow and tac pad as well, but, buying them as a package doesnt really save any money. My biggest benefit to buying them this way is I could pack it all back into the pump pillow for easy carrying around on match day. I figure between that set and the gamechanger I wouldnt really need any other bags (or I'd have bags for most obstacles if I used them appropriately)?

Thoughts?