• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing baitin' for hogs

Cleanmiss

Private
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2010
sacramento
Hey guys I been doing a lot of reading about baiting for hogs and I read a lot on the laws for it here CA. Here's my question I was thinking about doing some bait trenches in the area I have been hunting and throwing up a cheap game cam to see if there is any pigs in the area. I was thinking about doing some soured corn/beer/diesel mix in some 5' long shallow trenches. I want the diesel in there to keep the other critters out of there and I heard it works in areas with active pig heards. Im going with a cheap game cam so if it does get stolen (whick it prob will) then its not too big of a deal. What do you guys think? Is it worth giving a try so I don waste a season in a vacant area? Any tips and advise or experiences would be awesome.

Re: baitin' for hogs

Here in GA we have a big problem with cross bred hogs and we love hunting them. The best thing we do to bait them in is to use regular dried whole corn, apples or pears. Recently our game laws changed to allow the baiting of deer in certain areas of the state, this is a good thing for a lot of people. I say a good thing because at any time if you were hunting hogs over bait during deer season and a game warden caught you, he would automatically assume you were hunting deer over bait. But like I said the above mentioned bait works really good for us.

We dig a hole about 12 inches rounds and 2 feet deep. fill it full of corn and pour beer on it. It will not be long and they will tear it up.

Im kind of doubtful though because we dont have a lot pigs on our public land. We cant hunt the pigs within like 100yds of the bait and you cant take any game for like 10 days in the 100yds of the baited area. Im mostly doing it to see if there are any pigs still around and to see if I can draw them out of the private lands.

Look around before you start investing in that stuff. Check and see if there is any sign of hogs in the area first. It's pretty unmistakeable if there are pigs on the property. Check around water and the edges of any trails or roads for "rooting". It will look like someone took a gas tiller and turned the ground up. Also, look around for wallows in the wet areas and see if there is mud on the trunks of trees. If you see that stuff, then go get your corn and camera.

If there is any sign of hogs in the area they will come if you start baiting them. I use 5gal buckets and put deer corn, jello powder (cherry or fruit punch), then go get you some cheap beer or wine and dump it together and roll the bucket around and store it away for at least a week. I brew my own beer so I use the spent beer grains in the mix also. I will dig holes and put this stuff in it or just dump it all over the place. I have had more and more hogs over the year. Adding diesel will def keep the coons and deer out of it.

We have some sign mostly tracks shit and rubs. Most of the sign is usually old the area is hunted year around but I found a few areas way off the beatin path that boarder private land so Ill give it a try there