• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Baiting ... yes or no

P-Squared

Humble Servant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2012
OK, I'd like some opinions about putting out bait, in this case the ends of quail blocks to attract squirrels.

I have a problem at my house with pack rats and ground squirrels. I've tried to clear the cholla back so they don't have nesting materials, and that helped quite a bit, but there are some of those little bastards that just can't get with the program.

I live a little out of town, per se, but the houses are close enough, I'm relegated to a CO2 pellet rifle. As soon as I slide the back door open, they take off. The bottom 18 inches of my wrought iron fence is expanded metal to keep the rabbits out of the yard, so once those little bastards are over the fence, they have cover for quite a long ways.

I'm thinking of laying out some bait in the yard and holing up under one of the trees with a cooler of adult beverages, several CO2 cartridges, and a couple of tins of pellets.

Is this wrong?

91625853_10216521034118544_5691324823934861312_n.jpg

That might provide for some entertainment on a Saturday afternoon, but if you want the problem solved get some gopher bait.

A steal plate about 20" x 20" drill 2 holes connect electrical wire through each hole run the wire to your hidden position where you can observe. Take a car battery or riding lawnmower battery connect only on wire to the battery. place your rat bait secure it with some tape in the middle of your steal plate. When the rat/s are on the bait you touch the 2nd wire to the battery, closing the electrical circuit = electrifying the steal plate and ZAP! = a dead Rat/s. You use the dead Rat/s for the new bait. Repeat as often as needed. if you have a second battery you can do the same with your fence if you see then climbing over.

There are no rules for eliminating pests!!!

Reactions: Dunraven
If you don't want recreational entertainment....... https://orcalinc.com/products/prozap-zinc-phosphide-pellets

Let me preface this with I've shot 352 California digger squirrels in the orchard behind my place this year. My dogs chase also chase them and the Belding and Silver Greys that reside on the north side of the orchard. The diggers are aggressive, destructive to land and rapidly multiplying, the Beldings and Grey's are amazing athletes and acrobats and give my dogs a great challenge twice a day so I never shoot them. In short, I now admire and respect their athletic abilities and toughness.

The Diggers are just F'n mean fighters, ask my Lab.......

i-SpL2Vr2-L.jpg

If you want good entertainment.......

I also have learned to respect and appreciate these guys as great entertainment..... much more than NFL/NBA players. ;)

Subsonic 22LR works well also.

Welcome to the never ending war. It’s incredible how fast those little fuckers multiple. It’s a full time job keeping them out of my pecan tree. If I let them be they will literally eat every single pecan out of my tree

I have been using this Gempler’s bait rotation system for years, it works!
gemplersbait.jpg

Bait and shoot and get some of those ~12" rat traps and bait w/ peanut butter. Secure the trap to something!

Baiting and shooting is legal in some states provided it is done for pest control purposes on things like squirrels and rabbits. Kind of vague in my state as to what constitutes being a pest in my area. I have a feeder down by the creek that the squirrels like for some reason. Might be the feed I have out. I am trying to attract the climbing deer. They have not found the feeder yet, but the tree squirrels have. I think the squirrels are scaring off the climbing deer and I must shoot them to keep them away. Being the responsible and thrifty outdoorsman I am, I see no benefit in wasting game meat and thus feel compelled to fry them or put them in a pot with dumplings.
I have no experience with rats other than the car salesmen I worked with when I was a mechanic.

(edited for clarification)

OK, I'd like some opinions about putting out bait, in this case the ends of quail blocks to attract squirrels.

I have a problem at my house with pack rats and ground squirrels. I've tried to clear the cholla back so they don't have nesting materials, and that helped quite a bit, but there are some of those little bastards that just can't get with the program.

I live a little out of town, per se, but the houses are close enough, I'm relegated to a CO2 pellet rifle. As soon as I slide the back door open, they take off. The bottom 18 inches of my wrought iron fence is expanded metal to keep the rabbits out of the yard, so once those little bastards are over the fence, they have cover for quite a long ways.

I'm thinking of laying out some bait in the yard and holing up under one of the trees with a cooler of adult beverages, several CO2 cartridges, and a couple of tins of pellets.

Is this wrong?

No offense, but sounds like lil furries are out-smartin ya. You keep opening the door and they scatter. Perhaps that approach aint gonna work?

You can bait em, but that is lazy imo. Take this opportunity to work on your stalking skills. :)

Poison always ends up some place unintended.

Get a miniature Dachshund they will kill anything up to thier own body weight.

Mice, rats, opossum, squirrels, snakes , rabbits and birds have all met thier demise .

Ocassionally a large opossum may not actually be dead when brought into the house for approval.

It's blood sport for them.

20180207_193044.jpg

Last edited:
Use a havahart live trap. I caught a ton of raccoons with them. Squirrels, a blue jay, sparrow, and chipmunks. Dispose of as you wish.

Mice, rats, opossum, squirrels, snakes , rabbits and birds have all met thier demise .

Ocassionally a large opossum may not actually be dead when brought into the house for approval.

View attachment 7423656

That's what they were bred for

Killers extraordinaire

Is this wrong?

Yeah and you don’t need to freak out liberal neighbors. Just drown em, its quiet and cost effective.

Yeah and you don’t need to freak out liberal neighbors. Just drown em, its quiet and cost effective.
I'm laughing because I've told my wife about this and she just gives me the puzzled look. She came home last week after visiting one of our liberal neighbors from New Zealand who has a house in the development. She had put out a bucket of water for the deer who live around us. SON-OF-A-GUN, the neighbor was freaked out how she caught pack rats.

I described how (as only hollywood could) how those little bastards fought for their lives, only to succumb to gravity and fluid density, and as much other horror I could muster up.

This thread was really for some humor. I plan on setting out some bait, grabbing some beers, setting up under a tree, and waiting for those little commie bastards to come in through the wire.

OK, so maybe I need therapy, but that's not the point... :D

Reactions: MtnCreek
I'm laughing because I've told my wife about this and she just gives me the puzzled look. She came home last week after visiting one of our liberal neighbors from New Zealand who has a house in the development. She had put out a bucket of water for the deer who live around us. SON-OF-A-GUN, the neighbor was freaked out how she caught pack rats.

I described how (as only hollywood could) how those little bastards fought for their lives, only to succumb to gravity and fluid density, and as much other horror I could muster up.

This thread was really for some humor. I plan on setting out some bait, grabbing some beers, setting up under a tree, and waiting for those little commie bastards to come in through the wire.

OK, so maybe I need therapy, but that's not the point... :D

I respectfully request a video be made of this adventure (please no portrait mode).

View attachment 7423656
My dachshund is a pansy ass in comparison

Reactions: Snuby642

I think those squirrels have died of old age by now

Yeah, rats can be fun with an accurate.22 and subs. Had a backdrop as well, some of these had to be taken quickly as they never really sat still for more than 3 seconds. I thoroughly enjoyed it. This bolt on 10/22 makes 10 rounds in 1/4” at 50 yards. Impressive for a cheap pos.

Attachments

• 1A4CE4E9-B5E6-444F-9F4B-20BF3635727D.jpeg
    1A4CE4E9-B5E6-444F-9F4B-20BF3635727D.jpeg
    406.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 0CC59784-F0FD-4DB0-A9E8-F7CD8FA2989D.jpeg
    0CC59784-F0FD-4DB0-A9E8-F7CD8FA2989D.jpeg
    901.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 47E0FFA5-32C8-4C21-AB26-5BFD0DF15E0F.jpeg
    47E0FFA5-32C8-4C21-AB26-5BFD0DF15E0F.jpeg
    569.4 KB · Views: 32
  • B2095EEC-1662-4B92-95D1-75E05CC0FD17.jpeg
    B2095EEC-1662-4B92-95D1-75E05CC0FD17.jpeg
    864.2 KB · Views: 28
If you want to know how to deal with a squirrel infestation, you should ask @1J04

He knows all about the problems associated with too many squirrels.
Yep. And if you will post your address we will send you a packet on how to deal with those pesky critters!

We had squirrels and rats in the attic (different times).
Bought 2 of every squirrel/ rat trap/ poison. Smart little bastards. Avoided all except the glue traps after several weeks.
But the solution that has been working for over a year is ….. AM radio at a volume a bit above average. I have a wise cam setup to detect any movement and none in the last year.