• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Baked my brass 🤦‍♀️

J.Kubiak

T.G.O.S.
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2020
Los Angeles CA
Hey everyone. I’m that guy. Turned the toaster oven on and dried my brass and forgot them for 12 min, brass got to 350 maybe not entirely sure. Looks like shit though so wanted to show you guys so maybe you could point out what’s wrong. All the brass is 1x fired Hornady, de primed and set in an ultrasonic cleaner with tap water and Hornady one shot solution. Here’s some photos of the brass up close, looks really blotchy. Is it still safe to use and if so anyway to get it looking normal again? I can trash it I have a thousand or more but curious.
EC7A0A2C-134D-4FFE-96B0-85295E501453.jpeg

Attachments

• 54A0A126-8A28-4C2F-B04A-9131E16CEE4E.jpeg
    54A0A126-8A28-4C2F-B04A-9131E16CEE4E.jpeg
    475.7 KB · Views: 41
Yeah, as the Beastie Boys said it best
“Slow and Low, That is the Tempo”
Dehydrator works best

Reactions: LooseGoose
Hey everyone. I’m that guy. Turned the toaster oven on and dried my brass and forgot them for 12 min, brass got to 350 maybe not entirely sure. Looks like shit though so wanted to show you guys so maybe you could point out what’s wrong. All the brass is 1x fired Hornady, de primed and set in an ultrasonic cleaner with tap water and Hornady one shot solution. Here’s some photos of the brass up close, looks really blotchy. Is it still safe to use and if so anyway to get it looking normal again? I can trash it I have a thousand or more but curious.
I have the RCBS version and it specifically states that distilled water should be used. My guess is the minerals and additives (if you're on municipal water) are the reason your brass looks like ass. Reclean them if you need pretty or process and shoot them if it doesn't matter to you how they look.

As stated, bet if you tossed them in the tumbler with media for a bit, that the ugliness would turn into a brilliant shine ;)

Nothing wrong with them either metallurgically or appearance wise.

Load them, shoot them, and clean them again later.

BTW, 240 degrees F for 30 min will dry cases completely with little to no discoloration. If you are really anal, rinse only in distilled water.

I personally don't give a shit what my cases look like so long as they're clean.

As much as I hate tumbling with steel pins ... that's likely the thing that will polish those back to normal.

might want to throw a oven thermometer or grill thermometer in there and set to 350 and see what the actual temp is. I found a few ovens that heat up more than what the dial says...sometimes a good amount.

You're using Hornady lube in an ultrasonic cleaner? Not clear on this. Quickest solution. Cordless drill and some fine Scothbrite pads. Will never look better than that. Just did this a couple days ago.
20190207_212754.jpg

no they have a ultrasonic version (cleaner for brass) BTW you have too much time hahah
I haven't has need to do that in awhile but when you ultrasonic cases and forget to take them out of the bath the carbon does some nasty shit to the brass. Purely cosmetic.