• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Warshing Brass

Seth W

Private
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2023
USA
Whan I started reloading last winter, I bought one of those Frankfort Armory wet tumblers. I use their cleaning packets, well water and SS pins. MAN, that brass comes out clean! I deprime first, so even the primer pockets are really clean. Couple things;

1. Biggest thing that drives me nuts is drying them. In the summer, I put them out in the sun, fine. When it's cold, I put them on the wood stove. On top of the water pot, nearly a foot above the stove surface. And not when the stove is running full tilt. But, the stove still tends to overheat them and discolor them to a degree. After I don't know how many batches, I'm still trying to figure out at what temp brass discolors.

2. If you're thinking of cleaning brass this way, be aware that those pins WILL get everywhere, no matter how careful you think you are. I find them all the time, and often, they only show up in certain lighting. I'm truly surprised the wife doesn't have a nutty about this...

3. I'm still trying to decide wether or not to get one of those separators for the pins. Getting them out of there by hand takes some pretty detailed doing, and a separator would speed it up. OTOH, I'm nor looking for speed on this project, I'm looking to make it take more time. It's a hobby that is meant to use up free time here & there.

4. If anyone is worried about pins sticking in the cases, I haven't had an issue. Yes, they do end up in cases, and I suppose they are stuck, but in the 3 calibers I run, they're not jammed in there. A tap will dislodge them. But, be aware that in order to insure they're all out, you do need to do some detailed inspection of some sort...

5. While I really like the FA tumbler, know that it is somewhat touchy to close so it doesn't leak. You have to be pretty meticulous about closing it. When you start it, you have to stand there for 5 min or so to make sure it's not leaking. I like to go back after a half hour and check. Once all is well at that point, it'll run for however long you need it to without leaking.

I 3D printed a wrench that fits the caps. Makes it way easier to get it tight enough to not leak.

I’ve seen ‘em sold on Etsy, too, but it was easy to CAD up and print.

Reactions: simonp
Use a dehydrator to dry brass. Pins should not be a problem. Use a Lite FA. Quality kit. Use large 2 tablespoon of Armourall HD car wash and similar of Citric [ from the cooking isle]. Pins should not stick in cases. 2C. 3 hours washing they come out sparkling.

Home made brass dryer....

Attachments

• IMG_6043.jpeg
    IMG_6043.jpeg
    562.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_6044.jpeg
    IMG_6044.jpeg
    549.8 KB · Views: 44

These five things for about $150 will make the process must easier. Spend that extra time on good case prep not picking pins out of cases.

Reactions: camocorvette
The leaking barrel part isn't because I can't get it tight enough. I noticed this weekend that I can get it so tight, I start to distort the bap, or the barrel. I suspect that it's an issue of just the right tightness. Not enough-leak. Too tight-leak. Those other things, I'll look into.

It can also be the gasket. On a Thumler Tumbler you have to wet the rubber contact areas otherwise it will leak. I use a sponge and wet the tumbler liner and the lid gasket where they contact. Then it doesn’t leak.

Reactions: LR1845