• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Baking Manners stock

jsthntn247

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2009
Mississippi
Im dura coating my manners t5 right now. I want to put it in my barrel oven and speed up the curing process. What would be a safe temp to cure it at. I was thinking I shouldnt go higher than 150. My major concern is f' ing up the recpol pad.

I've baked mine at 150 for 2 hours with some cerakote but Tom Manners said is not recommended. I'd say 120 would be fine because temps get that in my car all summer and it will be in the pelican case in there for like 10 hours.

120 for longer periods or 150 for 20min or less. I have personally seen stocks split right down the middle from being cured too hot or for too long. I hadnt worked at Manners for very long and I did it myself..

I have done two at 150 for 2 hours, and no issues here. Just for info sake, I no longer use Cerakote for anything other than metal. Top grade automotive paints work very well and require no heat. McMillan has been doing it for a very long time with very good results. As for which last longer, IMO, they both do very well. Either will scratch the same, so that's why I no longer see the advantage of going through the whole proccess required for Cerakote on stocks other than color matching to the metal. Another point is that Cerakote cost about $100.00 per quart, and Automotive paint is about $150.00 per gallon which ends up being about 1 1/3 third gallon after adding hardner and reducer. Not kicking Cerakote. I actually promote it every chance I get for metal coating.