• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Ballistic AE vs AP Ballistics

DrainTheSwamp

Private
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2018
Midwest
Been using AE and I’m sick of not having any support, takes them forever to respond to any questions. I love seeing AP support guys on the forum. Anything that AP has that AE doesn’t? Not looking forward to learning a new interface but I could be talked into it.
Thanks in advanced guys!

Been using AE and I’m sick of not having any support, takes them forever to respond to any questions. I love seeing AP support guys on the forum. Anything that AP has that AE doesn’t? Not looking forward to learning a new interface but I could be talked into it.
Thanks in advanced guys!
They respond?? They are assholes. I use their app in a limited capacity but I’m pretty sick of their crap. AP? Do you mean Appllied Ballistics ? They have bent over backwards for me.

AB is nice but it’s annoying that you need to use altitude and baro pressure instead of DA when setting up a bullet profile.

AB is nice but it’s annoying that you need to use altitude and baro pressure instead of DA when setting up a bullet profile.

This is for accuracy reasons. DA should be avoided if possible. With todays technology you do not need to use DA. Just use Station Pressure and Temp for more accurate results.

The mobile app lets you decide, FYI.

B6FA77A3-7FBD-4CA8-AC26-C1A08D518793.png

Reactions: MilDot1960
This is the best method. Using actual Station Pressure is always the most accurate. Even using Barometric Pressure is prone to issues with the difference in elevation between the shooter and the location of the weather station.
Yes Doc, I remember about 3 or 4 years ago you gave us all lessons on this very subject, Being as long as the person uses Station Pressure when they set up their Scope in the first place from that moment on all they need is the new station pressure weeks months years later, If Anyone has a Kestrel like the 4000 series etc If they set the REF ALT in the Baro Screen to "ZERO" and un-sinc the Baro from the ALT then that will be the true Station Pressure and then they are setup to shoot anywhere in the world, Just make sure the REF ALT is set to Zero.

As a side note the Suunto watches are set up to Station Pressure also.

hope that helps.

John.

This is for accuracy reasons. DA should be avoided if possible. With todays technology you do not need to use DA. Just use Station Pressure and Temp for more accurate results.

Is there is best practice on how to setup a rifle profile and ammo/load info? There are a lot of different categories to fill in and hard to know what is need and not.

Reactions: skinnj1
I'd say it depends on what software you use. DA is as accurate as Station Pressure, etc. It's how the software calculates its internals. Only a few do an awesome job while most don't. It's very easy to check this. The issue with Point Mass solvers (JBM, Strelok, AB, etc) is they need Temperature to adjust Mach. Bryan wrote back in the day about this, and with DA they cannot work as well, therefore the reccomendation to resort on Air Pressure, etc over DA.

Fun fact here, everything needs temperature to correctly calculate Mach. The speed of sound cannot be calculated without Temperature.

https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/airplane/mach.html

https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/airplane/sound.html
Funny thing is not all solvers are made the same, you see I wrote "Point Mass solvers" Hope you get it this time. One more time, it's so easy to verify what I said about DA that it's not worth my time to repeat myself. Wrapping up, DA is as accurate as the usual inputs, as long as your solver is a good one.

Anyone ever hear from Ballistic AE support? I've tried to reach out a few times but never got a reply. I was really intrigued by the app so I purchased the pro version but having issues switching to meters.

Anyone ever hear from Ballistic AE support? I've tried to reach out a few times but never got a reply. I was really intrigued by the app so I purchased the pro version but having issues switching to meters.
U using iPhone?

When there are other apps that are offering constant support for $12-$30, why struggle with one that doesn't?

I will agree with the above. Ballistic ae was the first solver I got. No support at all. Once you get it figured out on your own it works but I wish I had done the research first. Currently looking to make the switch to hornady or trasol.

Reactions: Holliday

I emailed them because I paid $20 over 1-1/2 ago to connect my Kestrel and it is still not working right. $20 fucking dollars just connect my kestrels. I already paid for the iphone app then for the iPad version.

On Mon, 26 Nov at 9:13 AM , @Max wrote:
While my Kestrel 5700 performs fine with Ballistic, my Kestrel D3 Drop constanly provides the wrong Density Altitude. See screenshots from both your app and the Kestrel link app taken at the same time. This happens on my iphone too. Any help would be appreciated.

A week later they responded:
Thanks for reaching out! We are working on a bug in the app we believe is causing this connection issue with the Drop 2 & 3s. We hope to have this resolved in time for the next update.
Curt

My response:
Curt,
I paid $20 for this ability and could not use it while hunting

I don’t carry my 5700AB hunting often and instead carry my D3 for environmentals minus wind. It’s one thing to pay too much for something but the consolation is that it’s quality and works. With Ballistic AE that is just not the case.....

Attachments

• B402F3A0-229D-4765-8F97-45E86CFEA38F.jpeg
    B402F3A0-229D-4765-8F97-45E86CFEA38F.jpeg
    406 KB · Views: 61
  • 089AA4E2-A029-4179-A54E-4203F9C66048.jpeg
    089AA4E2-A029-4179-A54E-4203F9C66048.jpeg
    161.4 KB · Views: 65