• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ballistic calculator help.

Rowdyryno

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2011
Wichita kansas
I'm running the BallisticAE app on my iPhone and doesn't seem to be every consistent and I want an actual dedicated calculator for long range so fellas help me out do I go with a regular kestrel with a hand held ballistic calculator and if so what brace/unit do you recommend? Or the new kestrel with built in balistic software all In one?

What do you mean it isnt very consiestant? I use shooter and love the results it provides. If you arent providing it accurate atmospherics from a kestrel it wont be as reliable.

That being said You definitely need a kestrel of some sort as far as a stand alone ballistic calculator Horus Vision has a nice setup but you will pay for it.

The ballisticAE app has a setting hat loads all the atmospheric conditions and still at long ranges doesn't seem very consistent.

The ballisticAE app has a setting hat loads all the atmospheric conditions and still at long ranges doesn't seem very consistent.

That setting is pulling the data off the net somewhere there is no telling how far that location is from where you are shooting extended long range you are likely in a remote are and therefore far from any weather station. If you can try entering the data from a kestrel at your shooting location that should help. Also you will need to true your data as likely both the MV and BC are slightly off from what you have entered which becomes more prevelant at longer ranges. Normally to true you want to shoot near your transonic range and then figure out your actual drop and use that to correct your MV.

I shoot the same load all hand loaded (44gr varget, CCI primer,Federal brass and Hornady 178grAmax) and usually shoot 900 and off and on with hits from day to day. All my MV is loaded from shooting chronograph (10ft). I am wanting to start doing some long range hunting so want a system that is more reliable.

You probably have a number of variables that are adding up. The first is your environmental data,... sounds like you're working on getting that figured out - I wouldn't toss my iphone app 'til I'd tested it thoroughly with a Kestral or other weather station - not sure how your ballistic software is configured, but I'm assuming it will allow you to input Density Altitude (DA). Another key variable is your velocity. As great as modern chronographs are (I own two), they're not as accurate as we might like when attempting long-range, trans-sonic shots,... that's why you really do need to validate your drop at distance. The Ballistic Coefficient (BC) of your bullet "might" need to be tweaked, but if you're using Litz's data you're probably as close as you need to be. If you're using the bullet manufacturer's BC data, then I'd definitely look at adjusting that as well,... but play with velocity first. Also, just double check EVERYTHING you've input for your rifle,... sight height, twist rate, etc. The software is the software,... garbage in, garbage out,... Having owned half-a-dozen different ballistic calculators and played with a dozen more, I'm 99.9% sure that it's the inputs you're making,... Best of luck!

Ry

That setting is pulling the data off the net somewhere there is no telling how far that location is from where you are shooting extended long range you are likely in a remote are and therefore far from any weather station. If you can try entering the data from a kestrel at your shooting location that should help. Also you will need to true your data as likely both the MV and BC are slightly off from what you have entered which becomes more prevelant at longer ranges. Normally to true you want to shoot near your transonic range and then figure out your actual drop and use that to correct your MV.

Usually from the nearest airport or weather station, which could be 40 miles away but you will never know because it does not tell you. Kestrel or something similiar is a must and Ballistic will work quite well, I use it with good success. It usually doesnt work because of operator error. you know the saying...garbage in garbage out.

Blurry6 I def see what your saying and kinda had a thought that was the problem just doesn't add up when some days I can pull my DTA SRS out with a 22" barrel and make a first round hit at 900 then the next time completely be all over the place .

I have used the Ballistic APP on my iphone and also the G7, carefully entering the data into both, truing my velocity at 850 (AIAX 260, 142 SMK), truing the turrets and comparing with a Horus, using Kestrel for atmospherics and then doing the calcs. I have NEVER gotten the two to correlate closely enough to have absolute confidence. Neither system works well for me all the time with different shooting systems. I am frustrated and would buy a more expensive system (ATrag or Field firing solutions) if I thought it would be more accurate but I have no experience with them.
good luck

ColdBore (PC & PDA) from Patagonia Ballistics, best program out there for true LR work, also comes with full GPS and Kestrel support.

Just d/l Coldbore from Patagonia Ballistics (I'm a sucker for new ballistic software,... and I'm starting to feel like a sucker on this purchase),... Gotta say their licensing protocols are more than a little over the top,... Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see any library of bullets or calibers,... I'd figure $80.00 for the PC version would at least have a library of common bullets/BC's preloaded on hand,... Let me know if there's something I'm not seeing.

Ry

Just d/l Coldbore from Patagonia Ballistics (I'm a sucker for new ballistic software,... and I'm starting to feel like a sucker on this purchase),... Gotta say their licensing protocols are more than a little over the top,... Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see any library of bullets or calibers,... I'd figure $80.00 for the PC version would at least have a library of common bullets/BC's preloaded on hand,... Let me know if there's something I'm not seeing.

Ry

What? Both versions have an extensive LIBRARY module with over 3500 bullets complete data, cartridges, loading data, etc, etc

Lastshot300 the software your talking about is that used in a handheld PDA? Also I did what the others told me to do and used a kestrel to load all my data for my APP on my phone and it def did make a bit of a difference so for all that helped with that thank you. I'm currently using a friends kestrel and wanna get my own just not sure what model. Does anyone use the one with Bluetooth and ballistic software built in it? Or should I just go with the blue tooth model and a hand held PDA?

Im really interested in a good unit like the nomad from FFS and then a kestrel with blue tooth so there's no question when I'm shooting. Any other combinations I should look into?

Last edited:
Lastshot300 the software your talking about is that used in a handheld PDA? Also I did what the others told me to do and used a kestrel to load all my data for my APP on my phone and it def did make a bit of a difference so for all that helped with that thank you. I'm currently using a friends kestrel and wanna get my own just not sure what model. Does anyone use the one with Bluetooth and ballistic software built in it? Or should I just go with the blue tooth model and a hand held PDA?

Yes, both versions have the LIBRARY module. I also use a lot the GPS and Kestrel features of ColdBore.

Ring, I'm really leaning towards the nomad FFS system and a kestrel with blue tooth I just hate having my phone out when I shoot

Ring, I'm really leaning towards the nomad FFS system and a kestrel with blue tooth I just hate having my phone out when I shoot

Just put it in airplane mode then it won't ring. If you want a one stop solution, get a kestrel with ATrag integration.

But ballistic is a great app, I've used it, shooter, and bulletflight and agree with ring, the results are very very close.

Posted via Tapatalk HD for iPad