• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ballistic FTE problem?

Mo_Zam_Beek

Private
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2002
OR_GUN
Today I shot at 1,000 and 1,500. I used a .300WM and FTE. I have used FTE a lot and have had good results but today was a bit different. Late last week I down loaded an update and things seem different.

Typically it gives me dope that is either on or as much as 2/10s low. At 1k I was 3/10's high. When I moved to my 1,500 yrd location I changed the location DA and that was it. I was 3.8 MILs low - WTF?

Anyone else have issues with the current update?

TIA

Good luck

Re: Ballistic FTE problem?

LOS - you might on to something - I used to never concern myself with it. Now it is constantly reading and when I press it looking to shut it off it beeps 3 times and then locks. Any ideas how to shut it off?

TIA

LOS should be in blue writing. Click on it and put "0" in place of what ever is says. Make sure all your other information is correct, save info to favorites. Now when you go and select your 300wm from your favorites LOS should remain at "0".
LOS has a drastic change on your mil or moa value. I happened to catch it right away as it had my .308 at 8.2 Mils at 1200 yards.

Figured it out - combination of LOS and BC

With all things corrected it is 1/10 high.

Thank you boone

Good luck

Did you happen to notice that the wind input is backwards? Or do you use FTE windage adjustments at all?

Are there any FTE help threads or instructions out there. I've got the program and the output data just seems way off to me. Of course I have no clue what I'm really looking at but should a 175gr .308 drop 514 inches over 1000 yards?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you happen to notice that the wind input is backwards? Or do you use FTE windage adjustments at all?
</div></div>

I don't use the wind call...

Good luck

How I use FTE:

A) Establish zero and related conditions at zero.

1) Use a tape measure to set the chrono at 10' in front of the muzzle
2) Record atmospheric conditions - Temp / Baro / RH / Alt / DA / Time / Lighting Conditions / Wind Conditions / Sight Height
3) Use an average of 20 rounds (not less than 10 rounds) to determine velocity.

B) Record all of this data as my zero data.

C) Use JMB to make a dope card based on this zero data - at least I have a rough guide to fall back on. (Bonus points if you tape it to your rifle.)

D) On site - obtain atmospherics by using a Kestrel or an Adaptive Consulting DA card and related implements.

E) Inputs:
- BC for a 175 SMK is .243 (G7)
- Diameter = .308
- Weight = 175
- Native Drag - G7
- Velocity is that 20 rnd average from your zero
- Chrono dist - what you measured when you zeroed
- Use Drag = G7
- Range Zero - what distance you are zeroed for
- Sight Height - what you have previously measured and recorded
- Y-intercept = 0
- LOS Angle = 0
- Zero Atmosphere = 'Enable' and enter DA from Zero Data
- Current Atmosphere = 'Enable' and enter on site DA
- Wind Velocity = 10
- Wind Angle = 90
- Wind Position = Muzzle
- Upwind Velocity = 0
- Max range = User Defined
- Range increment = User Defined
- Vital zone Radius = Factory Setting
- Elevation Unit = MRAD
- Wind Unit = MRAD
- Spin and Stability = Off
- Coriolis Acceleration = off

Using this method I am typically given info that is within 0.2 MILs of being spot on. Regardless, when I give the correct inputs, it will always spit out an elevation result that will put me on a 26"x19" IPSC out to @ 1,200 - if I make the right call on wind. (After 1,200 if I am holding COM and the calc'd error is 0.2 MILs I run the risk of missing the target - as always it is critical to spot your own misses).

Good luck

yo tell the dude who runs it that the BC for the 140gr 6.5mm amax is wrong, it should be G1 .585 not .550, emailed him like a month ago, no reply

If anyone can tell me how to take a screen shot on my Ipod or Iphone I'll see if I can't put a Tutorial together.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If anyone can tell me how to take a screen shot on my Ipod or Iphone I'll see if I can't put a Tutorial together.</div></div>

Just press the home button and power button at the same time. You'll hear a shutter sound and the image will be saved.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bevan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yo tell the dude who runs it that the BC for the 140gr 6.5mm amax is wrong, it should be G1 .585 not .550, emailed him like a month ago, no reply </div></div>

Yeah, I emailed him a bug report because the app is totally broken on the iOS 5 betas, but didn't hear anything back either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cluebat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bevan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yo tell the dude who runs it that the BC for the 140gr 6.5mm amax is wrong, it should be G1 .585 not .550, emailed him like a month ago, no reply </div></div>

Yeah, I emailed him a bug report because the app is totally broken on the iOS 5 betas, but didn't hear anything back either.</div></div>
Yeah... A pity - it's a nice and useful application. Oh well, thankfully there's Bullet Flight. And if my wife gets Android - I'll put Shooter on it too.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I emailed him a bug report because the app is totally broken on the iOS 5 betas, but didn't hear anything back either.</div></div>
I've just upgraded my iPod Touch 4 to publicly released iOS 5 (the procedure did increase my heart rate a little
smile.gif
). <span style="font-weight: bold">Both Bullet Flight v4 <span style="text-decoration: underline">and</span> Ballistic FTE v2.5.3 performed superbly on iOS 5, not missing a step.</span>

So while Jonathan does have less than perfect attitude, especially towards the users of his program - FTE works just fine on iOS 5. No worries here. <span style="font-style: italic">Just keep in mind that the wind direction reversal bug reported in April 2011 is still there.</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slayer 2c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are there any FTE help threads or instructions out there. I've got the program and the output data just seems way off to me. Of course I have no clue what I'm really looking at but should a 175gr .308 drop 514 inches over 1000 yards? </div></div>

Assuming you're shooting near sea level (which is going to give you the worst atmospheric conditions, the answer is still no. More like 425 inches. Search the Range Report & Exterior Ballistics section for "Ballistic" and you should find what you need.

If you shoot east or west (or any azimuth other than 0º or 180º) you might want to turn Coriolis to "ON" and use it. At 33º North Lat (Dallas - where I live), shooting a typical 260, Coriolis accounts for +.3 MOA at 1000 yds at 90º and -.3 MOA at 270º.

Basically, the earth (and the target attached to the earth) is moving down during bullet flight time facing east and moving up facing west.

Hope this helps a little.