• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ballistic Info for .308 175gr SMK

adam1122

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2010
Tx
Has anyone shot Southwest Ammunitions new round and have the ballistics info on it?

I am shooting a .308 with a 20" barrell. I dont own a chrono but I need the detailed specs so I can begin to build out a dope card. JBM Ballistics has a free program which will calculate pretty much everything but at a bare minimum I need to supply the program with fps, BC, etc.. Any info on this round exiting a 20" barrell would be great.

Anyone who has shot SWA's new .308 w/ Lapua brass Id love to know what kind of numbers everyone else is getting.

Thanks!

Re: Ballistic Info for .308 175gr SMK

Other peoples numbers can give you an idea but will not be an end all.

I have shot tons of the SW ammo and have seen a decent change in FPS from rifle to rifle.

Dope is Data On Previous Engagement, you are looking to build a data card.... just a heads up.

I would suggest trying to find someone with a chrono in your area. OR... If you have access to a decent range get dope at as many different distances as you can, the further the better. Then you can play around with the FPS numbers to see what matches the dope you collected. This can give you a good start.

Hey Adam,

Same basic premises apply to this situation as they did in this one from a couple months back:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...635#Post2380635

As for Mike's 175gr SMK loads...I think that he has stated they got 2585fps from a 19" test barrel with a 24" tube running at almost 2650fps. For your "best guess" sake...I'd guess 2600fps, plug the data into JBM and go from there which should get you close. Then once you have the rifle out on the range, you can develop your own ballistic data for your rifle/ammo/etc. which will be better than any pre-fab, canned data.

Good luck!!

Just use what what elevation you dial to from your 100yard zero to hit playing cards at 1000m and tweak JBM's velocity to match.....

Clay pigeons at 1000 and 600 from a 100 yd zero always worked for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just use what what elevation you dial to from your 100yard zero to hit playing cards at 1000m and tweak JBM's velocity to match..... </div></div>

Wow... you guys must be good... playing cards at 1k! Is that with or without sighters? What's that in MOA?

That's pretty much the kind of size the 'heavy gun' f class world record sits at!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vipa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...That's pretty much the kind of size the 'heavy gun' f class world record sits at! </div></div>

That doesn't matter......this is the internet!!!

For internet purposes I've found that cutting a plying card from the side at 1000 yards is a good sight in technique. I suck at movers though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerry M</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vipa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...That's pretty much the kind of size the 'heavy gun' f class world record sits at! </div></div>

That doesn't matter......this is the internet!!! </div></div>

I found a dab of honey on a joker card will quickly draw a fly for 1K, need to try it out for 2K, or just do fly head shots bin laden style at 1K should work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jAXDIALATION</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For internet purposes I've found that cutting a plying card from the side at 1000 yards is a good sight in technique. I suck at movers though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That doesn't matter......this is the internet!!! </div></div> </div></div>

dont-worry-sir-im-from-the-internet.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerry M</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vipa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...That's pretty much the kind of size the 'heavy gun' f class world record sits at! </div></div>

That doesn't matter......this is the internet!!! </div></div>

Never found it easy to effectively convey sarcasm on a forum!
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adamxdavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone shot Southwest Ammunitions new round and have the ballistics info on it?

I am shooting a .308 with a 20" barrell. I dont own a chrono but I need the detailed specs so I can begin to build out a dope card. JBM Ballistics has a free program which will calculate pretty much everything but at a bare minimum I need to supply the program with fps, BC, etc.. Any info on this round exiting a 20" barrell would be great.

Anyone who has shot SWA's new .308 w/ Lapua brass Id love to know what kind of numbers everyone else is getting.

Thanks!</div></div>
Your Tasco doesn't have enough elevation so dont worry about it....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just use what what elevation you dial to from your 100yard zero to hit playing cards at 1000m and tweak JBM's velocity to match..... </div></div>

This stuff is too funny...

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2400556

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adamxdavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm asking bc I need to be able to shoot the size of deck of cards width at 1000m. Just hitting a plate thats 12x12 isnt't going to work for my application. Those who are in the know shiuld be able to figure out what I am called upon to do at times. Thanks for the information though gents.</div></div>

Seeing how Adam is around Houston I will pay for his gas, hotel and give $500 to Charity (Wounded Warrior) if he can hit a deck of cards at 1000m at Rifles Only. I may even give him more than one shot.

Only a couple hour drive from Houston to Kingsville, we have Precision Rifle Class starting March 14th, so he can put on a clinic for everyone. I'll bring the cards, he can bring the rifle and his mad skillz. </div></div>

Hey adamxdavis, we should keep in touch and compare notes. I too am shooting a .308 with a 20" barrel. I just ordered 300 rounds of 175 SMK from SW-Ammo and will take it to the range hopefully soon. I can shoot from 100 to 1,000 yds. but the elevation is 7,000' ASL.

I'll let you know what I come up with.

really now. come on playing cards from the side at 1k and clay pigeons at 1k???? are we telling a little bit of a story now?? come on tell us the truth...daddy wont get mad.....HAHAHA

From a 26" barrel, SWA 175SMK (win brass):

100: 0
200: 0.5mils (maybe...memory fuzzy, didn't document it)
600: 3.9mils
800: 6.6
900: 8.4
1k : 10.1

800-1k: 1.8mils windage with a 10-15MPH wind (L-R)

I love some of the BS on this site. Any one who wants to see the results of getting my rig set up can PM and I will email the photos.

It has been suggested that I back down to 168SMK from SWA to achieve better mechanical performance as I am shooting all rounds suppressed.

Initially, the REPR I bought and tricked out with a USO SN-3 had a few people on the hide thinking that I couldnt hit the broad side of the bus is shooting .37in groups at 497 yards. Yes, we measured it....and lased the DTT.

Im not some clown who cant shoot. I'll challenge most of you weekend warrriors to some real tact shooting where you have to run 1/2 mile with all your gear and then place shots where they count. The evolution is pass fail.

I dont take kindly to people talking sh*t when they have no idea who is on the other side of the email squeezing the trigger. Any requests for pics? Mine are too big to load up on the hide....I'd be happy to send them out.

Your Tasco doesn't have enough elevation so dont worry about it....

BTW - my torch costs more than your Tasco $99 scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adamxdavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love some of the BS on this site. Any one who wants to see the results of getting my rig set up can PM and I will email the photos.

It has been suggested that I back down to 168SMK from SWA to achieve better mechanical performance as I am shooting all rounds suppressed.

Initially, the REPR I bought and tricked out with a USO SN-3 had a few people on the hide thinking that I couldnt hit the broad side of the bus is shooting .37in groups at 497 yards. Yes, we measured it....and lased the DTT.

Im not some clown who cant shoot. I'll challenge most of you weekend warrriors to some real tact shooting where you have to run 1/2 mile with all your gear and then place shots where they count. The evolution is pass fail.

I dont take kindly to people talking sh*t when they have no idea who is on the other side of the email squeezing the trigger. Any requests for pics? Mine are too big to load up on the hide....I'd be happy to send them out. </div></div>

.37" group at nearly 500 yards??? Then you really should have no trouble hitting those playing cards at 1000 with room to spare. Thank god for the internet as otherwise we'd never have the chance to rub elbows with truly amazing shooters such as yourself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adamxdavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love some of the BS on this site. Any one who wants to see the results of getting my rig set up can PM and I will email the photos.

I dont take kindly to people talking sh*t when they have no idea who is on the other side of the email squeezing the trigger. Any requests for pics? Mine are too big to load up on the hide....I'd be happy to send them out. </div></div>

Sounds like it's time to take Frank up on his offer. Put up or shut up. Respect is earned!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: edgewater</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adamxdavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love some of the BS on this site. Any one who wants to see the results of getting my rig set up can PM and I will email the photos.

Sounds like it's time to take Frank up on his offer. Put up or shut up. Respect is earned! </div></div>

I'd buy tickets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vipa</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just use what what elevation you dial to from your 100yard zero to hit playing cards at 1000m and tweak JBM's velocity to match..... </div></div>

Wow... you guys must be good... playing cards at 1k! Is that with or without sighters? What's that in MOA?

That's pretty much the kind of size the 'heavy gun' f class world record sits at! </div></div>

Nah hell its easy when you have......
jumbo-playing-cards-.jpg

Only Real Operatorz practice with these...

To the OP, If your in the Stephenville/DFW area shoot me a PM and wanna put some rounds on a Chrony I can help you out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adamxdavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont take kindly to people talking sh*t when they have no idea who is on the other side of the email squeezing the trigger. <span style="font-weight: bold">Any requests for pics? Mine are too big to load up on the hide....I'd be happy to send them out.</span></div></div>

Go to http://www.imageshack.us and you can upload them there, then paste the links here for all to see. I'm not doubting your skills but would truly be interested in seeing that group!

No ammount of internet posting is going to make me believe an M4gery shot that group at 500yrds.

While it is a nice rifle, a nice truck, and a good group....a 500yrd tackdriver an M4gery is not.

I was shooting european international 'heavy' f-class at Bisley, UK 2 weeks ago. Shooting of that quality would have won it for you, against much more advanced kit!

If you had done that in a tunnel with absolutely no atmospheric interference I MIGHT be inclined to believe you but outside with even a slight breeze.... groups like that don't exist at 500yds my friend... 100 yes, even 200.... possibly, if you are very skilled, 300... but not 5.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steel-W0LF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No ammount of internet posting is going to make me believe an M4gery shot that group at 500yrds.

While it is a nice rifle, a nice truck, and a good group....<span style="font-weight: bold">a 500yrd tackdriver an M4gery is not.</span></div></div>

The GAP-10, POF, LWRC, and several others are know for sub-moa accuracy well beyond 500yds but it also depends on the shooter.

Just because <span style="font-style: italic">you</span> (myself included) can't do it, that doesn't mean that a group such as what's pictured can't be done. Sure, it will be difficult as all hell but I don't think it's impossible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steel-W0LF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No ammount of internet posting is going to make me believe an M4gery shot that group at 500yrds.

While it is a nice rifle, a nice truck, and a good group....<span style="font-weight: bold">a 500yrd tackdriver an M4gery is not.</span></div></div>

The GAP-10, POF, LWRC, and several others are know for sub-moa accuracy well beyond 500yds but it also depends on the shooter.

Just because <span style="font-style: italic">you</span> (myself included) can't do it, that doesn't mean that a group such as what's pictured can't be done. Sure, it will be difficult as all hell but I don't think it's impossible. </div></div>

Agreed, there are shooters and 'shooters' but we aren't talking about being able to shoot sub MOA or not here... we are talking 0.2 MOA... outside, with a tactical rifle @ 500yds.

Just been doing a little digging on the interweb thingy... that sort of capability would put this shooter right up there at US national, European, even world class benchrest standard and probably beyond! Better call Guiness!

Show me a vid of it happening on youtube with independent verification and I'll wind my neck in and shut TF up

While sub MOA I can believe. A group like that at 500 means it is ~0.2 MOA accuracy or less.

0.2 MOA out to 500 yds, no, I dont believe. Unless its one of those once in a lifetime groups where the stars aligned. The M4 style design just does not have that kind of capability.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vipa</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steel-W0LF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No ammount of internet posting is going to make me believe an M4gery shot that group at 500yrds.

Just because <span style="font-style: italic">you</span> (myself included) can't do it, that doesn't mean that a group such as what's pictured can't be done. Sure, it will be difficult as all hell but I don't think it's impossible. </div></div>

Agreed, there are shooters and 'shooters' but we aren't talking about being able to shoot sub MOA or not here... we are talking 0.2 MOA... outside, with a tactical rifle @ 500yds.

Just been doing a little digging on the interweb thingy... that sort of capability would put this shooter right up there at US national, European, even world class benchrest standard and probably beyond! Better call Guiness!

Show me a vid of it happening on youtube with independent verification and I'll wind my neck in and shut TF up</div></div>

Point taken, Vipa, and I agree.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vipa</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steel-W0LF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No ammount of internet posting is going to make me believe an M4gery shot that group at 500yrds.

Show me a vid of it happening on youtube with independent verification and I'll wind my neck in and shut TF up</div></div>

Point taken, Vipa, and I agree. </div></div>

'Tis a VERY nice truck though
wink.gif

My wife keeps bugging me to get a suv like yours what's the gas mileage like

Just don't see it happening, that's unreal accuracy for a bolt gun, let alone an AR platform.

Granted, great looking piece of kit, but I bet its a bitch proned out tryin' to load the bipod as pictured!
wink.gif

All I know is I couldn't do it with my POF 308. Its a a great M4 style but in my hands its not happening. I could hit that target, (hit, meaing on the target) but that looks like a 100 yrd group. I'm not hating, if this really happened then I'll buy ya lunch & beer when you do it here in Colorado at altitude. I always tell folks "I'm not a genius, but I can be taught, which is just as good." Willing to be schooled.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: benfur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My wife keeps bugging me to get a suv like yours what's the gas mileage like </div></div>

Considering how well he claims his REPR shoots, my guess is the truck gets 110 mpg!!
smile.gif

Nice comments. Yes this group was shot at slightly less than 500...we used a Bushnell Scout w/ ARC to measure the DTT.

For more info on this group. I shot the weapon in the closed bolt mode...meaning I shut the gas off so another round would not be automatically chambered after the shot, hence, improving the rifles accuracy just a bit. LWRC says this rifle is capable of sub-moa accuracy. With a USO SN-3 dialed up to 10x it all comes down to trigger squeeze and ability to read wind. I got lucky and waited about 5 minutes to take my shots. Also, you can see from the pics that I shot the group with the suppressor attached. With the 30P-1 I can honestly say that this rifle has very little spin drift - the can actually aids accuracy on this gun.

The REPR costs close to 4K at retail (I paid $3700) so I expect it to shoot pretty close to a bolt gun. Note - I said close not exactly like one.

This is a debate that has raged for years however, there has been enough field research to show that semi-autos that are well tuned and well built can shoot with the best bolt guns - it's the shooters skill set that make the difference, having the best gear just makes it easier.

I'm glad that this has stirred up some controversy. Just keep shooting until you hit the target....ammo is cheap...lives are not.

Oh, and the truck gets about 15mpg on avg. It has some modifications to improve power and get better mpg. Still costs about $90 to fill it up.

Thanks OPEC! F*ckers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Da-Law-Dawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just don't see it happening, that's unreal accuracy for a bolt gun, let alone an AR platform.

Granted, great looking piece of kit, <span style="font-weight: bold">but I bet its a bitch proned out tryin' to load the bipod as pictured!</span>
wink.gif
</div></div>

Yea, I gotta ask how you load that thing since its on backwards...but, who knows...maybe that's how it should be done to get that kind of group. I'm off to the range to try...
wink.gif

OK, got to step in on this one...too funny not to respond.

Adamxdavis,
What part of texas are you located? Happy to help verify something that no one has ever done with a auto... By verify, I mean that I will sit next to you, with a video camera, while you put a new .2MOA group together at 500. Not hatin, just need to see it take place in front of my own eyes and somewhere on Earth - the planet of.

In fact, since you have mastered 500 yard (493 to be exact), do you mind showing me how to do it? You can use any one of my bolt guns, or autos. I have a couple set up for F-class open, but you probably would not need it. I just need some pointers. Do you think you could also explain the meaning of life, or pass a couple messages to God for me?

Still laughing...thank you all.

Great, got some people who will verify this godly accomplishment. Will he take the offer? Doubtful....just like the group

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adamxdavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With the 30P-1 I can honestly say that this rifle has very little spin drift ... </div></div>

Classic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adamxdavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With the 30P-1 I can honestly say that this rifle has very little spin drift ... </div></div>

Classic. </div></div>

I can't believe I missed that morsel....worthy of memorialization as a signature quote!!

If you guys can verify that shot group at 500 yards.....Then you can video tape me licking his asshole and post it on youtube for the world to see.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 144:1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you guys can verify the shot of that group at 500.....Then you can video tape me licking his asshole and post it on youtube for the world to see. </div></div>

wow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doubled</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you guys can verify the shot of that group at 500.....Then you can video tape me licking his asshole and post it on youtube for the world to see. </div></div>

Just fell out of my chair.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 144:1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you guys can verify that shot group at 500 yards.....Then you can video tape me licking his asshole and post it on youtube for the world to see. </div></div>

If that is your way of trying to be funny, it's the most lame attempt at humor I've had the displeasure of witnessing, not to mention disgusting.

If you were actually being serious then you have much bigger problems than anyone on this board can help you with.