• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ballistics AE app question

BamaBrad

Private
Minuteman
May 28, 2014
What is this asking on the Ballistics AE app? I’m just not understanding the question for some reason. I have a Bushnell Elite 3500 4-12x44 with the DOA 600 reticle and not quite sure what to put here to set up the rangefinder part of the app.
A382FED0-24F7-4EF6-9075-A360457874A5.jpeg

i believe that this is correct.

In the manual or printed on the scope their should be an assigned value for each click of the reticle(....or you could measure it yourself by drawing out a measured grid on a target).

stabilize/fix the rifle.

look through the scope at a fixed point on a target.

Turn the elevation reticle as it transitions 1/2 way of the height of the field (from the bottom all the way up to the middle of the reticle i.e. the big horizontal line) and count/record the number of clicks it took to do this.

take the value of each click you obtained from the scope or the manual and multiply it by the number of clicks it took you to transition the aforementioned distance and that should be the number you're looking to input.

Last edited:
Reactions: BamaBrad
Ok, it’s 1/4” at 100 yards and wanting the number of MOA from the anchor point (the blue line) that’s the number I can’t figure out
14F9DFBA-B952-4BAD-AB65-CEF1F3FB2511.jpeg

ok,
so we know that 1 inch (or more accurately 1.047 inch) equals 1 MOA at 100 yards
and we know that each click of your elevation turret is 1/4 MOA or 1/4 inch at 100 yards per the manufacturer and designer of the reticle.

While often the manual affords you this info, sometimes the individual scope isn't perfect and as such measuring it as i'm describing will hopefully gives you a more reliable measurement.

perhaps the easiest way to do this is to draw out a standard grid on a plain piece of paper to be used as a target....let's say a 30 inches by 30 inches grid (or whatever fits your target area size) marking out each inch......it should look just like a regular grid paper looks albeit bigger so you can see it at 100 yards and have enough lines to do a measurement.

Now, if you set the target out at 100 yards and make sure it's plum (you can use a bubble measure to the target or just hang a string with a weight on it to dangle directly on one of the vertical lines) you'll be in great shape to measure. it's really important the the target is as close to perfectly vertical/plum as possible.

....just point the fixed/stable rifle at a single point or dot on the target....... and count the number of clicks it takes you to get from the blue line to the middle long black line (basically 1/2 of the reticle height).

the program wants to know the number of MOA it took to get through half of the reticle field

....you know that each click is 1/4 MOA at 100 yards, so if you divide the total number of clicks it took you by 4 you'll obtain the number of MOA

i hope that makes sense and helps

Last edited:
Reactions: BamaBrad
the nice thing is once you made such a grid you can then go and test how well your scope tracks

.....for example, rotate the turret a defined number of clicks and see if that correlates to the number of expected MOA on your grid....you can check elevation, declination, right and left etc. that way.

I made such a grid a year ago and have used it several times, i recently lent it out to a friend, i should get it back but honestly they're so easy to draw out i'll probably just make another with some bolder colors this time.

you can also purchase these targets already made...they're called something like scope box testing targets or scope tracking targets..but honestly it only takes something like 20 minutes to draw a nice one on a big piece of cardboard ( i just cut open a big old box and use that).

Here's a very nice commercially available target if you prefer: https://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/tag/scope-tracking-target/

some have posted that a 10 inch square works and it would of course, however i prefer a much larger grid as sometimes the problems don't show up till you get to the extremes of the adjustment range

i also found this video that demonstrates testing scope tracking indoors:

Last edited:
Not sure if this helps:

Ballistic AE video
Thanks, watched that but I saw he just “threw” in 5. I didn’t know how he got that number unless he just picked it or it was as described by the poster above, and I may have to do that. I tried to google what that number may be to save time but, no luck. Thanks for posting it.