• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Range Report Ballistics manual

deltaghost

Private
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2009
Canada
Hey all, fng here. Any suggestions on a good ballistics book? Looking to learn how to manually caculate them for various loads. I want to start doing my own reloading. Any suggestions would be helpful, Thanks

Re: Ballistics manual

I just picked up "Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting" by Bryan Litz. Have only pages through it (plan on reading it in Dec) but from an initial review looks to provide some absolutely invaluable information.

I believe he sells it direct on his website. A google search will get you there.

Bryan Litz's book and the Arthur Pejsa book "applied practical ballistics" or something along those lines.

The pejsa book came out around May 2008 and the Litz book is recent, sometime in the second half of 2009.

I haven't read Bryan's book yet, simply because I haven't had the chance to dedicate time to it. He's a member here under Bryan_Litz if I remember correctly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking to learn how to manually caculate them for various loads.</div></div>

I'm not sure what you mean by "manually calculate". I associate that with a pencil and a piece of paper, or perhaps a non-programmable scientific calculator.

If that's what you mean, my advice is to not do that. I'm a graduate of an engineering school, which requires math through differential equations, and I wouldn't try to do that.

That's what ballistic programs are for.

http://www.jbmballistics.com/~jbm/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.0.cgi

If you are looking to understand what goes into a ballistic calculation, then Bryan Litz' book is excellent.

http://www.appliedballisticsllc.com/index_files/Book.htm

Not to take away from anything anyone else has mentioned, but if you're a beginner at handloading, get a Lyman's Centerfire Handloading manual. Then read everything BETWEEN THE DATA CHAPTERS. Then read the safety section again.

It's very easy to "get comfortable" with what you're working on and overlook something. Small mistakes when handling powder and primers can be a life altering occurrence. Some people may suggest other manuals to be the first you read. But Lyman’s isn’t trying to sell you bullets, powder or cases. And that one book has more USABLE information than any 2 other books.

That being said, when you actually get to doing handloading on your own and start changing the powder charges and neck tension, get a good REPEATABLE chronograph. Leave the bargain basement brands alone and get something dependable. Then get Sierra’s ballistic tables. They have a pretty comprehensive set of numbers.

As I am “housebound” for a large chunk of time almost every year, I read the safety chapters more often than most. It is never… NOT needed.

Again thanks for all the input. I will try to find some of these books. I work away from home but have plenty of time to read. I was planning to read up as much as i can then start learning to reload.