• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Banana peels (miracle of modern science)

Triggerhappy

General Nuscience
Minuteman
  • Feb 15, 2009
    Calif., MO
    I had a friend tell me about a month ago that if you ever get poison ivy, rub it down with banana peels and it will go away. To make a long story short I went mushroom hunting today and well I got to try his advice. IT WORKS! I get poison ivy BAAADDD and in 15 minutes it no longer itched and an hour later it is going away. Wow am I glad I learned this. Thought it may be helpful to others. Sounds weird but it does work.

Re: Banana peels (miracle of modern science)

Crazy question, but are you talking about the inside or outside of the peeling?

A guy that hunts with my in laws sure could have used that tip a few years ago when he was hunting and didn't have any tp.
    cry.gif
    laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triple 6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Crazy question, but are you talking about the inside or outside of the peeling? </div></div> Inside. When he first told me he said "your going to think I'm crazy but...." and at first I did but I though what the heck I have poison ivy + bananas so I tried it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triggerhappy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> To make a long story short I went mushroom hunting today and well I got to try his advice.</div></div>

Are you sure it was the Poison Ivy and not the mushrooms? How many had you eaten and what did they look like?

What the hell, I don't take poison ivy or poison oak, but my son does, I'll have him give it a try.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stealthy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triggerhappy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> To make a long story short I went mushroom hunting today and well I got to try his advice.</div></div>

Are you sure it was the Poison Ivy and not the mushrooms? How many had you eaten and what did they look like? </div></div>
    They were little brown ones on cow turds. No, I really found 57 morels that I had not eaten yet, but man they were good later when I did.

PAnty 6 got deep into some poison ivy here when she was prepping it last summer. I guess they don't know about the banana skin trick in Hawaii, but I also don't think they have poison ivy either. Man she was red and swollen for almost a month during teh summer heat, miserable...glad I was still up in Drum
    grin.gif

Have to give banana peels a try. Just a caution when burning brush, when I was a kid my fathers crews cleared a right a way. The burned the brush, devastating all over the body but poison ivy smoke in the lungs is deadly.

Never heard that one before but what the heck ..........worth a try if needed . Hope I don't need it !

Heard of smoking banana peels,never heard of rubbing them on you.I'll give it a try next time I get in some ivy.

I had a doctor tell me he recommends bananas for every skin problem, especially exema. I had dishydrotic exema from wearing gloves in a machine shop. I didn't try the banana peel trick but some Rx steroid stuff worked wonders...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unsichtbar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have to give banana peels a try. Just a caution when burning brush, when I was a kid my fathers crews cleared a right a way. The burned the brush, devastating all over the body but poison ivy smoke in the lungs is deadly. </div></div>

+1.

A great guy on the Lightfighter forum passd away last year from inhaling the smoke from dead vines -which turned out to be poison ivy. A couple of tours in the sand box didn't touch him. Absolutely destroyed his lungs, and thre was nothing they could do. Pretty horrible way to go.

I didn't know about the banana peels, will give that a try since I am alergic to poison ivy and even have some behind my knee as you read this ( I spend alot of time in the woods and in trees).
    +1 on the burning brush with poison ivy...It's airborn poison to an allergic individual.
    ............... SmokeRolls

Did you wash with bleach or Tecnu first? Or did you just start rubbing dirty sweaty skin with the peels?

TIA

Has anbody tried this with poison oak?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you wash with bleach or Tecnu first? Or did you just start rubbing dirty sweaty skin with the peels?

TIA </div></div>
    Showered first.