• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Band of Brothers

5RWill

Optics Fiend
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 15, 2009
    Mississippi
    I don't know why i'm just now watching this but i was a bit skeptical after watching the pacific, which was just ok IMO. Band of Brothers however in downright amazing, only 5 episodes in and i wouldn't have a problem rewatching those. Just wanted to see everyone else's thoughts. It's a must buy Blu ray for me.

Re: Band of Brothers

It is a very good series and having a friend that was in the 101st who was there in Bastogne (just not in E company), brings it all closer to home. I grew up listening to the memories he would share... the things they suffered through... WOW!

Black Ops, I gotta say, read the book! It is awesome and of course has much more detail than the series.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is a very good series and having a friend that was in the 101st who was there in Bastogne (just not in E company), brings it all closer to home. I grew up listening to the memories he would share... the things they suffered through... WOW!</div></div>

I know the feeling Niles. While my grandad was in the navy during the war, which he didn't fight. Honestly the man could never bring himself to harm another person as he was too busy trying to help people. He was a doctor, had a true love for helping people. I did however have the privilege of knowing and interviewing a customer of my mom's old pharmacy she used to work at, Mr. Aldredge. IIRC he was 94 when i interviewed him, he was on Omaha. It was incredible. I've stated it a thousand times over in the thread about Ted Gundy but i can't reiterate it enough, I honestly believe it was the best generation of men and women this country has ever seen, and it's heart breaking seeing them go. It's good to have books, movies, etc. to let that constant reminder set in that "freedom isn't free"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LegioX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Black Ops, I gotta say, read the book! It is awesome and of course has much more detail than the series.</div></div>

Going to have to. Just finished episode seven covering the assault on foy. Just can't say enough about it. I think i'm finding one of the main reasons for it being so much better than the pacific IMO is the character development and relations. The fact that you see all the guys from episode one and think of what they've been through by the time market garden is almost over, it's something that Spieldberg and Hanks have done that only one other war movie has capture IMO and thats Black Hawk Down. I had no idea Dale Dye was an actual veteran. I just kept thinking to myself while watching him on screen that he didn't seem like he was acting, i don't know how to explain it just could kind of tell that he was in the military.

If they would've casted half as good for the pacific as they did band of brothers it could've been just as amazing. I didn't feel that it did the Pacific theater of war justice, especially considering the vastly improved technology in 2010 as opposed to 2001. Hell even gotten the same guys. There just wasn't any connection with the characters in the pacific.

Interestingly, this and "Black Hawk Down", arguably two major US Army stories brought to film, both feature mostly British actors.

In Sept of 2006 we stood with Wild Bill and Babe Heffron at the treeline near Foy and looked down over the city. Listening to them tell of the experience while getting shelled in those trees was awesome and frightening also. There are still depressions in the ground from their small bunkers and fighting holes.
    In spite of the quiet reverence we all had while there, Bill piped up and said, "Keep an eye out, I left a leg lying around here somewhere!"
    Below is a pic of Brecourt Manor and Wild Bill, here Easy took the German guns on D-day, led by Dick Winters. IIRC, he won the DSC and Bill the Silver Star. He is standing in the field portrayed in the movie where they shot the Germans.
    Sorry about the hijack, I still get excited thinking about the whole BoB experience! If you wish to see anymore pics, I have a pile of them.

IMG_1347.jpg

Band of Brothers is way better than the Pacific in my opinion. While I liked the Pacific, there were so many iconic storylines in the BoB that it's hard not to love the series.

"I had no idea Dale Dye was an actual veteran"

He wrote a book about his Vietnam experience. I read it about 30 years ago and it had some very funny parts in when they were taking Hue back from the Viet Cong.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Band of Brothers is way better than the Pacific in my opinion. While I liked the Pacific, there were so many iconic storylines in the BoB that it's hard not to love the series.</div></div>

That and i felt that i cared about the characters since the viewer gets to see them from day one. The pacific didn't know or care about the characters. On episode 9 now really hate to see it about to end.

Amazing that Damien Lewis can imitate an american accent like that. Had i not watched an interview of him i would've never known he was english.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Amazing that Damien Lewis can imitate an american accent like that. Had i not watched an interview of him i would've never known he was english.</div></div>

A lot of the Easy Co guys were British actors.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

A lot of the Easy Co guys were British actors.</div></div>

I know, some i could recognize though like michael fassbender. The only movie i had ever seen damien lewis in was dreamcatcher which his character is american in that movie also.

I started watching the series again...

But every time I see Buck Compton now (played by Neal McDonough), all I can think of is the actors latest role as Robert Quarles in Justified. He played that to a T...

But Buck Compton will never be the same.

I have a signed print that has several of the Easy Company names on it. Shows them a the Eagles Nest on the last day of the war with a big Mercedes 500K and a Mustang P51 overhead. Unfortunately, it lacks Dick Winters signature. But it has a lot of the original guys.

Amazing series.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Just finished it. The ending interview with the actual characters choked me up, it's hard to watch a grown man break down. Dick Winter's last statement was extremely heartfelt. Going to buy it tomorrow (Been watching it on HBOgo) by far the best war series/movie ever made IMO.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GoekSOd1iE4&feature=related"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GoekSOd1iE4&feature=related" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LegioX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In Sept of 2006 we stood with Wild Bill and Babe Heffron at the treeline near Foy and looked down over the city. Listening to them tell of the experience while getting shelled in those trees was awesome and frightening also. There are still depressions in the ground from their small bunkers and fighting holes.
    In spite of the quiet reverence we all had while there, Bill piped up and said, "Keep an eye out, I left a leg lying around here somewhere!"
    Below is a pic of Brecourt Manor and Wild Bill, here Easy took the German guns on D-day, led by Dick Winters. IIRC, he won the DSC and Bill the Silver Star. He is standing in the field portrayed in the movie where they shot the Germans.
    Sorry about the hijack, I still get excited thinking about the whole BoB experience! If you wish to see anymore pics, I have a pile of them.

IMG_1347.jpg

</div></div>

What an honor to have stood beside Wild Bill and Babe Heffron at Foy. I'm a bit jealous. Hell, I'm very jealous.

Buck Compton lived near my town and came to my kid's school several times to share his story. He made quite the impression on both my boys and my girls. When he passed away, my three youngest (15, 14, 13) all got verklempt.

This is my all-time favorite WWII series followed by Saving Private Ryan. The Pacific had such potential but I think they screwed up by not following the same guys from start to finish. Although, I have the same respect for the Marines, and other units, that fought on that front.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LegioX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... If you wish to see anymore pics, I have a pile of them.

</div></div>

Post them!!!!

Here's a few taken in Bastogne, Foy and surrounding areas. The memorial was dedicated to Easy Co in 2005 in Bastogne at Bois Jaques.

IMG_1471.jpg

IMG_1517.jpg

IMG_1481.jpg

IMG_1485.jpg

IMG_1519.jpg

IMG_1521.jpg

Old fighting/fox holes in Bastogne where Wild Bill lost his leg.

IMG_1524.jpg

IMG_1528.jpg

IMG_1531.jpg

IMG_1532.jpg

IMG_1534.jpg

I'm not sure who, but I was standing in line (imagine that!) at the VA some years back in Seattle, and there was a fellow in the line and he was telling some pretty amazing stories, he was one of the guys there (if he wasn't, he was a brilliant story teller). Anyway, he mentioned that the part where they blew up the road block in the end didn't quite go like it did in the movie.

Had they done it on film the way he described, it would have sort of deviated from the idea they were a "Band of Brothers". The way they wanted to do it for real was too dangerous and nobody wanted to do it. It ended with a confrontation and they agreed to blow it from a distance (with a bazooka?).

You hear a lot of stories at the VA. I should jot 'em down or write a book. Anyway, I've never seen a crowd like this around one guy giving one, not in ten years frequenting those hellholes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interestingly, this and "Black Hawk Down", arguably two major US Army stories brought to film, both feature mostly British actors.</div></div>

Well, if you used real Americans playing real American infantrymen, the soundtrack would just be "BEEEEEEEEEEEEEP" for 2 damn hours (HAHA!).

I still meet with my army buddies from time to time; one actually lives down the street, we were team mates and room mates early on. From time to time, we meet up and have a bbq or something, always out in the woods so we don't get the damn cops called on us. It gets pretty wild when the 'toon gets together.

Its a great video series, but you do need to read the book. I just finished it (again). When you go through the part where Winters leads the attack across the field in Holland, your like...no way. LOL

Big Brass Ones owend by all those men!

Awesome photos and A great Mini-Series, I got the Pacific on DVD as a gift but have yet to watch it.

In case no one had heard... Edward "Babe" Heffron died yesterday at age 90.

Heffron wrote Brothers in Battle, Best of Friends: Two WWII Paratroopers from the Original Band of Brothers Tell Their Story with fellow veteran William "Wild Bill" Guarnere in 2007.

After WW2, he worked in a distillery and as a longshoreman and, later, a clerk at the Philadelphia docks.

Not sure how many of the original Band of Brothers are left... but it can't be many.

RIP Mr. Heffron. You earned the respect and gratitude of your nation.

Sirhr

PS... It appears that William Guarnere and Donald Malarkey are the only remaining enlisted/NCO members of the original Band of Brothers and Lt. Edward Shames is the only remaining officer.

Last edited:
    It's gotten down to the point that I almost hate to watch this series any more. The 506th was my old unit (Charlie Co, 1/506th, '77-81"), so there's a very strong emotional attachment to the series, and Ambrose's book for me, personally. I'm a life member of both the 101st Abn Division, and the 506th Regimental associations as well, which means I get the obituaries they post in each issue of their news letters. It's always sad to see another of these guys pass away, and so many of the one's they interviewed for the segments at the start of each episode are gone now. Parts of first-hand history that will be lost forever, but for the second-hand accounts that remain in print, or in those interviews. To one and all, Currahee, brothers.

In more current events, the Fourth Brigade of the 101st Abn Div, is the 506th Regimental Combat Team. Recently returned to Ft. Campbell from duty in Afghanistan, the regiment is being deactivated due to budget reductions in the DoD. Want to see a grown man cry? Watch him as they furl his regimental colors for the last time during a deactivation ceremony. Really bums me out.

Recently returned to Ft. Campbell from duty in Afghanistan, the regiment is being deactivated due to budget reductions in the DoD.

Kind of seems like a travesty... with all the places to cut costs... the Pentagon goes after one of the most celebrated regiments in U.S. Military History...

KSTHOMAS... I have not earned the right to say "Currahee." So glad you did. Thanks for posting that!

Sirhr

Sad update to this one; "Babe" Heffron, pictured with Bill Guarnere in the shots above in this thread, died this past Sunday. Just heard the news a few minutes ago. RIP, Babe.

Sirhr,

Not really one of the "most celebrated", but one that has gotten a lot of attention in recent years due to Ambrose's book, and the subsequent mini-series. That, and their mention in "Saving Private Ryan." Essentially, they were just one of many PIR units in the 101st and 82nd who did their jobs in an extrordinarily tough fight. Easy Company was a good unit, and the story with the problems with Sobbel and Dick Winter's subsequent taking command is surely an interesting one, but you'd find similar stories with guys in the 501st, 502nd, 505th, 325th, 327th, 187th, etc., etc.. It was truly a time of heroes, and all I can say is thank God we had so many who rose to the challenge. Still, I'll readily admit to being a bit biased from my time with them, but yeah, there's some fascinating, and incredible stories to be found in so many units like them as well.

Kevin:

All true... Easy Company simply was the one Ambrose focused on and, as a result, were immortalized in a way that equally-deserving units were not.

If you dig into the historiography, I think Easy Company was also mentioned by Tom Clancy in several of his books... including Without Remorse. Jack Ryan's father (a Baltimore Police Detective) had been an Easy Company soldier as part of his character in the fictional Jack Ryan series. Without Remorse was written, I think, right as Band of Brothers was first published... a bit of hero worship by Clancy? Can't be a coincidence!

FYI, once I finish my Masters next June, I plan another motorcycle trip overseas and my plan is to trace the route of the Band of Brothers from France to the Eagles Nest and on to Austria. It's apparently a very well-documented route and popular with travelers and motorcyclists. It should be an interesting trip and a great way to cap off a masters degree in Military History.

Sirhr

Sirhr,

That's one I've been tempted to do, and there are some travel agencies that offer tours just like this. I'd also like to trace the routes my grandfather took across the ETO as well. He went ashore at Normandy, was part of the relief column that broke through to Bastogne, and directed counterbattery fire at the German artillery positions across the Rhine at Remagen. He was there for the entire fight, from their first arrival as German units were crossing the bridge and it was under American shelling, to when the Germans made it across and attempted unsuccessfully to blow the bridge. He was still there after our troops had crossed and secured a bridgehead on the far bank, and when the bridge (no longer of any military importance since they'd established a pontoon bridge nearby) finally collapsed on its own a few days later. He would up at Brechtesgaden, and had a set of Hitler's bathtub handles (monogramed in gold, "AH"), which he said was about the only thing left by the time he arrived. He had hundreds of photos, since he captured a German officer's camera only a few days after the landings, stretching all the way across our line of advance. Be a bit harder to arrange than one of the themed trips like you mentioned, but I'd love to do it sometime. I get to Germany a time or two each year, and have usually gotten in a little sightseeing during my trips. If you ever get a chance, there's a book called "The Berlin Battlefield Guide" that's worthwhile. If you follow the book completely, you'll spend approximately two weeks in Berlin alone, tracing the fight from Seelow Heights, the outer defenses, The various FLAK towers around Berlin, the Kohl Opera House all the way to the Reichstag, the Brandenburg Gate and the new Reich Chancellery. Obviously long since destroyed, but the site of the bunker is still marked, and what was the Chancellery is now a perfectly ordinary set of office buildings. I'm a long standing history fanatic myself, and just seeing, and standing on the places where I've seen thousands of B/W photos from '45 is just an awesome experience.

I really liked Band of Brothers because of the togetherness of the men throughout the start of Easy Company, to their jump on D day, right on through to them getting drunk on Hitler's booze, to present day. HBO and Tom Hanks did a great job telling their story. My Dad flew his first of 36 missions with the 8TH Air Force on D Day, so I sort of have a soft spot in my heart for the men who gave it all on D Day.

The Pacific was harder to get into watching it on HBO an hour per week. However, seeing as I'm a Vietnam Vet Marine, I had to approach it from a different angle. So, this past Marine Corps Birthday I sat dow at my big screen Apple computer brought up HBOGO opened a bottle of 15 year old Glenfiddich and and watched it in it's entirety, except for an occasional head break and to take a drag off my cigar. Putting the 540 minutes together told the story of the 1st Marine Division, Eugene Sledge, Robert Leckie and John Basilone in the Pacific. Needless to say, it was much better the second time around.

LegioX...thanks for the pics

Semper Fi