• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing barell choice

I'm sure you'll get the same response from everyone - both are great barrels. I usually prefer Bartlein because they seem to machine a little better to me, although it's probably all mental.

Last edited:
This isn't really a gunsmithing question and should probably be posted in another forum.

I'm sure you'll get the same response from everyone - both are great barrels. I usually prefer Bartlein because they seem to machine a little better to me, although it's probably all mental.

I'd say that the Op question fits in perfect in a gunsmithing forum!

was kinda pressed for time. maybe i shoulda asked another way. i found a 30 cal barell , it says 1.250"x5" tapered to 1 inch at 30 inches. can this barell be cut to 26 inches and recrowned and use the cutoff to build the brake ? and is it better to be 5" or can u get by with say the 2.750 like on a mtu contour?

kreiger has the #10 heavy bull target but is out of stock. bartlein has the heavy palma and mtu in stock and the heavy varmint with 5r rifling

I'd say that the Op question fits in perfect in a gunsmithing forum!

The problem is that it gets asked once a week, and considering there will never be a unanimous answer, it's a pointless question. The best answer so far is whatever cut rifled blank is in stock.

Galaxy S3 on tapatalk

The problem is that it gets asked once a week, and considering there will never be a unanimous answer, it's a pointless question. The best answer so far is whatever cut rifled blank is in stock.

Galaxy S3 on tapatalk

^^^^ This. They are both excellent barrels. Your choice of gunsmith will be a much more important decision.

The one that's in stock. That being said... Bartlein's 5R sees to be in stock more consistently. If you can tell a difference then you have more skill than I.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Galaxy S3 on tapatalk

Pointless to one.... may not be pointless to another!

I have built guns on 5, 4, 6, 7 grooves. From alot of makers (some known, some less known) it comes down to the smith as stated above. There are a few makers I shy away from, but for the most part all of the makers nowadays have such good tooling that you can mix them up in a batch, cut them and see no difference.

was kinda pressed for time. maybe i shoulda asked another way. i found a 30 cal barell , it says 1.250"x5" tapered to 1 inch at 30 inches. can this barell be cut to 26 inches and recrowned and use the cutoff to build the brake ? and is it better to be 5" or can u get by with say the 2.750 like on a mtu contour?

The barrel can be cut what ever length you want. That is going to be a heavy barrel and if you want it shorter, I'd cut 2" to 2.5" off the chamber end and the rest off the muzzle end. You could then use the part you cut off the chamber end to make a brake. If you cut material off the muzzle end, due to the taper, you won't be able to make a brake even as large as the new muzzle diameter.

The barrel can be cut what ever length you want. That is going to be a heavy barrel and if you want it shorter, I'd cut 2" to 2.5" off the chamber end and the rest off the muzzle end. You could then use the part you cut off the chamber end to make a brake. If you cut material off the muzzle end, due to the taper, you won't be able to make a brake even as large as the new muzzle diameter.

if the brake is made out of the cut off chamber end, then it can be installed and milled down to the same diameter as the end of the barell correct ? one thing i have tumbling around in my head im gona spit out, tell me if im on track or way out there........ if i cut chamber end to 2.750 " , and chamber for 300 rum, the extra thick length at the chamber end will be strong enough for that length cartridge, but will the barell be too heavy for just action bedding,(cutting the barell to 26" before brake) or will i have to bed in one of those barell supports and free float the action ???