• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Barnes TTSX in Africa

ce72

Private
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2011
Anyone have any first hand experience with the Barnes TTSX For Africa ?
Thanks,Chip

I don't have any experience personally but whe I went last year another couple of guys used them effectively in their 7mm mags. I beleive it was around a 140gr bullet. They got zebra, kudu, eland, warthog, wildebeast, and impala. All of them short tracking efforts (based on their dinner stories) except when one of their wives did a shitty shot. She hadn't hunted before, admitted to closing her eyes, and well... they spent three days tracking that zebra.

Anyways, I personally took a DTA 308win loaded with Berger VLD 190gr hunters going ~2525fps. Only had one shot on a zebra but no exit and she was dead less than 30seconds after the shot (lung and heart). I chose the Bergers as I have high confidence in their accuracy out of my rifle but really either will be more than adequate for plains game.

I have used the ts in Africa. Worked well but I did think penetration could have been better. That was long ago. Might have changed with the tts.

RTH

I've used them as well as the regular TSX's, both in the 375 H&H. They are hammers of course. I prefer the TTSX because of the higher BC and the 250gr bullet they offer. One shot kills on every plains game shot. Hard to find anything wrong with them IMO.
LX

Yes, I have taken them to South Africa, and had great success. I was hunting with a friend who took shitty soft-point 180s, both were using 300 win mags. He frequently had to take multiple shots, I seldom did. He had a shot on a beautiful waterbuck at 100 yards and missed because his round hit a branch and exploded, no injured animal, but no animal either.

The 180 TTSX were hammers for me, shots past 400 yards on the plains on blesbuck and springbok. Wildebeast and kudu were 1-shot kills.

I will go back and will absolutely take TTSX.

My recommendation is take more gun than you think you need, I had a 300WM and will take at least a 375H&H next time (as well as a smaller caliber, my 300WM with a 180TTSX almost ripped my klipspringer in half.)

And if you have a suppressor, take it, your PH and trackers will appreciate it.

I used the 210 TTSX in my 338RUM and took several animals from 30yds to 497yds. Bullets performed perfectly. Picture perfect expansion and good penetration.

I do like Barnes TSX, the TTSX are just as good, but better BC. BC isn't that important in Africa - if you need extra BC, then that is probably a shot you want to get closer on.

I wish Barnes still made the MRX - that was a very good bullet for long shots, and penetrated better than anything. I still have a few boxes of those, but don't bring the 300 WM anymore, don't need it, the 375 is pretty much everything. On the small stuff like springbok, just shoot to miss bone. I have several springbok and steinbok shot with 375 TSX, very little damage.

I do prefer the 300 grain though in the 375 H&H, just like heavy for caliber stuff, and it has worked well so far. More elevation is just a twist away, no worries. And if I run into a big nasty, I know it works on that too.

Thanks guys , your comments have been very helpful . Plan on shooting a 300wsm with either the 168 or 180 TTSX .
Thanks,Chip

180 grain TTSX in 300 WSM worked wonderfully for me in Africa. Andrew McCourt posted link to my thread on African safari above. Only thing that I had to shoot twice was the giraffe. Otherwise, everything dropped. Bullets exited everything but giraffe and kudu. Great bullet!! I'm looking to do an Alaskan trip next year and want to go to New Zealand in 2016. Plan to take the WSM with 180 TTSX on both trips.