• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barnes TTSX

Bevenue

Private
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I was trying to load up some 150gr. Barnes TTSX for .308win. When I load them to Mag length 2.810, with a light load, there still compressing the powder. Is this normal for the Barnes TTSX or am I going to blow up my rifle? Im at 44grs of Varget. Barnes suggets 43.5grs @ 2,648fps to 48grs @ 2,912fps with 105% load density. The brass is virgin Winchester with Winchester large rifle primer.

If there is any info I left out let me know.

Re: Barnes TTSX

It is not uncommon to have a "compressed" load. Load density is the ratio between case capacity and actual powder charge. Most factory ammunition is loaded with a density of 80% - 90% of the cartridge case capacity. It is more common with longer bullets loaded to magazine length. Barnes (in some rifles) like to be seated 2-3 thous. off of the lands, in which case you would have to load them one at a time. I usually find a depth that fits the mag and still performs by playing with types and amounts of powder, I will not load one at a time for a hunting round!

Stick with the data and you will be fine!

New cases will almost always have less capacity than fired ones, even FL resized from a tight chamber. You may not be compressing the second time. I like a bit of compression, as it keeps the powder in place. Many of the most accurate loads are from 95-105% case filled.

You should be fine. The Barnes bullets are much longer than your traditional lead core bullets due to the fact that lead is heavier than copper by density.

I load the 168 gr. TTSX in my .308 win over 44.1 grs. of Varget in Lapua cases and CCI BR2 pimers and they are just fine. 2710 fps and no pressure signs. I hear and feel the bullet pressing or compressing the powder when it is seated too. I called Barnes about this when I first started reloading along with other like Sierra and Hodgon and they all said that is normal and you will experinece that from time to time depending on the bullet and powder being used.

I also experience the same thing with IMR 4064.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bugg25</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Barnes (in some rifles) like to be seated 2-3 thous. off of the lands...
</div></div>

YMMV but I've had better results with somewhat of a jump on Barnes bullets. Barnes recommends loading their bullets .050" off the lands.

I shoot Barnes 168 TTSX's out of my DPMS AP4 and to fit the mags I have to go to no longer than 2.810. They don't have an issue with it and it shoots 1-1.5 MOA with them which is more than fine for a 16" barrel that I use for hunting. I use 44.2 grains of Winchester 748 at 2600 fps. Kills Deer fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DBohn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bugg25</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Barnes (in some rifles) like to be seated 2-3 thous. off of the lands...
</div></div>

YMMV but I've had better results with somewhat of a jump on Barnes bullets. Barnes recommends loading their bullets .050" off the lands. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bugg25</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I usually find a depth that fits the mag and still performs by playing with types and amounts of powder, I will not load one at a time for a hunting round! </div></div>

the difference between "possible" and "practical"
wink.gif

I would imagine you are loading Barnes for hunting so think "practical" as Bugg said. I would load the new brass with the minimum load first to fire form the case and then start working a load up from there. I don't concern myself with how far my hunting load is from the lands, just that it easily loads into the mag.