• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel blew apart.

Re: Barrel blew apart.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Belisarius</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the action in usable shape? </div></div>

It might be.....

I guessing his Tiddy Whities aren't ........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I guessing his Tiddy Whities aren't ........</div></div>

Probably neither are those of anyone who was anywhere close at the time!

Glad your friend is safe. Not going to comment on it, strange shit happens but those pictures are pretty badass lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nostyta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

He boxed up the rifle
</div></div>

Thats gonna be a funky shaped box or real big.... LOL

With the short barrel craze I would just do what larry potterfield suggests...take a hack saw, remove the banana peel and recrown with a flat bastard file. "Thats the way it is"............
grin.gif

EVERYONE wants to get the "ding-ding-ding" "RIGHT ANSWER" award.

1. My view of the pics doesn't really show whether the color is copper or fine rust. To me, it looked more like rust. Need to see in-person to guesstimate, swap with a Q-Tip and test to know for sure.

2. Yeah, it has a lot of the look of a bore obstruction...but then again, not really. Those I've seen showed a more obvious rounded "bubble" in the bore at the point of impact than shows in this blown barrel.

3. The split being two fissures about 180° apart strikes me as a bit curious and perhaps indicative of a materials defect in the steel.

4. Assuming for sake of argument that the rifle's history and the events immediately before the blow-up are accurate, I believe the following:

A. A manufacturing and/or materials defect in the barrel led to a crack or cracks on opposite sides of the bore, which rusted over the years and induces huge stresses in the adjoining steel. Rust is more bulky than the source steel, remember?

B. The crack and rust provided the point for a splitting failure to initiate with the fairly "low" pressures of about 10,000 PSI to be expected that far down the bore.

C. The split propagated through the steel along the lines of a previously-latent defect in the material.

D. Remington will at least replace the barrel, and perhaps the entire rifle, as a fairly low-cost way to preserve goodwill by providing out-of-warranty coverage, regardless of whether an ammo defect contributed to the failure. Look at the failure rate--a few hundred bucks as compared to how many thousand(s) of rifles which have no problems?

E. If it's clear that the client wants only a simple demand letter and communication of the results, the attorney's fee could be as low as $100 if your area is low-priced and/or the attorney is very "hungry". Most likely $250. If you drag the initial consult out to a full hour telling and re-telling and pontificating on your story, then it could expand to $1,000.00 easy. If Remington sends the stuff back and says "tough tonails", the best approach might be just a small claims action, but you're best off doing it in some state where they have a bank account to collect on. They would argue depreciated value of the entire rifle, you would argue full current replacement value, and either side could win that part of an otherwise losing case for Remington.

I'm for materials defect, possibly made worse by maintenance issues which are really a red herring because who can assure than the oil in the bore really will penetrate the crack caused by the defect.

the bulge is between the two front sight post mounting screw holes. The screw holes do not go all the way through and into the bore, but it does appear to be centered on the fault itself. I'm going to lean towards that some stress was put on the barrel just in adding those screw holes.

Was a front sight on this barrel when the accident happened?

Were the two front sight screws in the barrel when the accident happened? I see from the picture that those screws are not there now.

IMG_0391.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nostyta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My friend said there was a front sight on at the time of the incident. </div></div>

Defense attorneys call accidents and failures and even intentional attacks, "incidents".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grump</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nostyta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My friend said there was a front sight on at the time of the incident. </div></div>

Defense attorneys call accidents and failures and even intentional attacks, "incidents". </div></div>

I did not bring any type of discussion about a lawyer or lawsuit into this thread and wish it would stop and I'm not a defense attorney so if your trying to interpret my words to mean something that they do not, please stop.
Edited my post and just to point out my friend has not mentioned anything about a lawyer, lawsuit, or any type of grievance toward Remington.

I appologize if anything I said ruffled anyone's feathers. I am now sitting on my hands with anxiety hoping that Big Green will prove all of us doubters wrong!! Go Big Green!!

DD

I hope your friend gets an excellent rifle in return. A real top-of-the-line rifle at that. I'm really interested in how this situation turns out. Keep us posted.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jgillam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">which one of the 11 factory rounds blew the primer out? </div></div>

He said it was around the fifth or sixth round, he didn't remember exactly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DebosDave ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I appologize if anything I said ruffled anyone's feathers. I am now sitting on my hands with anxiety hoping that Big Green will prove all of us doubters wrong!! Go Big Green!!

DD </div></div>
No apology needed and no feathers ruffled, I just don,t want this thread turned into something that it's not.

Ranger, I think you have put your finger on an important point. I saw that too but it didn't click in my head!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ecdbcd</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> This is him! </div></div>

That guy sucks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: __JR__</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bill,

>>their are all these experts here >>

Nah, just a rookie here.

</div></div>

Keep working at it JR maybe someday you'll learn a thing or two about barrels LOL.

Marc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nostyta</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grump</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nostyta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My friend said there was a front sight on at the time of the incident. </div></div>

Defense attorneys call accidents and failures and even intentional attacks, "incidents". </div></div>

I did not bring any type of discussion about a lawyer or lawsuit into this thread and wish it would stop and I'm not a defense attorney so if your trying to interpret my words to mean something that they do not, please stop.
Edited my post and just to point out my friend has not mentioned anything about a lawyer, lawsuit, or any type of grievance toward Remington.
</div></div>
You'll notice that my sig line does NOT mention any type of ambulance-chasing law.

Loving precision in the English language, I like to point out when poor word choice makes things NOT sound as bad at they were. Even with no injury, that's a failure of something someone paid good money to buy, using factory ammo they paid good money to consume. At least one of those two parts of the equation was bad or damaged, and the "energetic disassembly", or barrel failure, should not have happened.

This forum can be pretty harsh, we have a lot of critics, and your post as originally rendered sounded like something some bottom-feeding pond-scum hired-gun attorney would have said to protect a scoundrel of a client.

If you don't like the comments, then don't post. Or at least lay some ground rules in the first one. Get over it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grump</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nostyta</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grump</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nostyta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My friend said there was a front sight on at the time of the incident. </div></div>

</div></div>
You'll notice that my sig line does NOT mention any type of ambulance-chasing law.

Loving precision in the English language, I like to point out when poor word choice makes things NOT sound as bad at they were. Even with no injury, that's a failure of something someone paid good money to buy, using factory ammo they paid good money to consume. At least one of those two parts of the equation was bad or damaged, and the "energetic disassembly", or barrel failure, should not have happened.

This forum can be pretty harsh, we have a lot of critics, and your post as originally rendered sounded like something some bottom-feeding pond-scum hired-gun attorney would have said to protect a scoundrel of a client.

If you don't like the comments, then don't post. Or at least lay some ground rules in the first one. Get over it. </div></div>

You make a post interpreting my words as meaning something they did not, I ask you nicely to please stop and you come back with this,(your post as originally rendered sounded like something some bottom-feeding pond-scum hired-gun attorney would have said to protect a scoundrel of a client.). Really?? I didn't think it sounded that bad but most attorneys tend to over exaggerate things and that's my opinion.
Maybe you should take some of your own advice(If you don't like the comments, then don't post. Get over it.).
Let me rephrase that, If you don't like someone asking you to please stop trying to interpret their words, then don't interpret them to begin with. Get over it and maybe you should have ask what I meant in the first place instead of assuming.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: honkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there any news on what remington has to say? </div></div>

No news yet.

Remington contacted my buddy today, they stated that the tests on the remaining ammo he sent in showed that nothing was wrong with it. As for the barrel Remington offered no explanation as to what caused the barrel to split apart they only asked my buddy to decide on which model rifle he wanted to replace his damaged one with and to contact them when he did, they will also be sending him a new box of ammo.
Just to be clear my buddy is not going to pursue the matter any further, all he wanted was to have the rifle replaced to begin with and nothing more.

Well I've had a factory squib load of 12 GA so I know it can happen, but if it wasn't a bullet from a squib stuck in there it was a boresighting tool part -- regardless of what the guy says. Most folks spin things rather than look like fucktards in front of their friends -- especially if they hope to get a freebie. I don't buy the idea that the steel was just faulty and the pressure blew it out because of what looks like an obvious bend at the end which was probably caused by an obstruction.

Now I'm no expert, but I've got eyes and a brain and if you post this crap on the net you're going to get everyone's $0.02 like it or not.

I'm glad no one was hurt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd like to know what they conclude about the barrels failure. </div></div>

I am certain they know it was a barrel obstruction.

They choose to replace it rather than deal with the bad PR of a pissed off customer.