• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel break in

paxamus

Private
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2013
Alabama
Having shot others bolt actions for a while, and used guns, I am now the new owner of a Remington XCR comp .308. In all the shooting I've done, I've never broke in a new barrel. I've read about different ways to do it. I figured I would ask a group of guys who I'm sure have broken on plenty of barrels which way they prefer. What do y'all use, ladder method, shoot and clean after each for twenty to thirty, or others? Any suggestions would be appreciated

Just shoot it. No need to clean till groups start to open up. Gun will tell you when it's time to clean.

Having shot others bolt actions for a while, and used guns, I am now the new owner of a Remington XCR comp .308. In all the shooting I've done, I've never broke in a new barrel. I've read about different ways to do it. I figured I would ask a group of guys who I'm sure have broken on plenty of barrels which way they prefer. What do y'all use, ladder method, shoot and clean after each for twenty to thirty, or others? Any suggestions would be appreciated

Your question is one that seems to be asked over and over and over on this forum and many others, you will get opinions on here from accomplished shooters. And you also get opinions on here from people that don't really know one way or the other there just posting to be posting. I will not post my opinion of what I feel about breaking in a barrel at this time, what I will say to you take the time and look up accomplished shooters in the benchrest field and the competitive matches like the high power matches at camp perry, and see what they do. Check out shooters like David Tubb, who holds many national championships, listen to the match winners of large competitive matches like the nationals it stands to reason that they would know more than someone like me posting on one of these forms.

Your question is one that seems to be asked over and over and over on this forum and many others, you will get opinions on here from accomplished shooters. And you also get opinions on here from people that don't really know one way or the other there just posting to be posting. I will not post my opinion of what I feel about breaking in a barrel at this time, what I will say to you take the time and look up accomplished shooters in the benchrest field and the competitive matches like the high power matches at camp perry, and see what they do. Check out shooters like David Tubb, who holds many national championships, listen to the match winners of large competitive matches like the nationals it stands to reason that they would know more than someone like me posting on one of these forms.

People are superstitious and will believe anything. Unless there is hard science behind it with verifiable and repeatable numbers, it's most likely BS.

Also, barrel-break in maybe would help the top .00001% of competitive shooters (IF IT WAS PROVEN TO WORK, which it is NOT) that are vying for the very top spot, the rest it is just snake oil.

Ask for scientific proof, or any proof, and if they cannot provide anything beyond circumstantial correlation, move along...

Just load one round, put a 20$ bill at 100 yds, shoot it. You will be as accomplished as anyone who 'breaks their barrel in'. You ever break tires in? What about light bulbs? New toilet? Phone?

Hiking boots, Baseball glove, Horse, Marriage...this topic defines "casting pearls before swine" ps...find my Smokn Ladder test thread under Reloading. Mark Chanlynn (who made the barrel ) includes VERY detailed instructions on how to Break-in his barrels. Who am I to argue...I followed the directions to the letter. :) paxamus: Seek and ye shall find

Last edited:
Look at it this way is it better to listen to a stranger on a forum, and do what they say is the best thing to do, or do what a NATIONAL CHAMPION does.

Look at it this way is it better to listen to a stranger on a forum, and do what they say is the best thing to do, or do what a NATIONAL CHAMPION does.

+1, but I would have to agree with both sides of the argument though. At the same time, the process and desired outcome isn't rocket science really.

I know there is a ton more involved here, but humor the simplicity for a second... It's a thick, hollow, steel tube with swirly gouges in the metal on the inside. This is done via a machine and tooling which at a microscopic level leaves microcosms (general imperfections if you will) in the material facing the bearing surface of the bullet. You want to smooth these out (especially the throat), which you can do by firing bullets past the surface. The "imperfections" fill with copper and become "level". Occasionally you want to remove this copper and let it refill, knocking some of the edge off of the imperfection. Rinse and repeat until they are smooth and barrel stops "collecting copper" (I.E. progressively cleaner and possibly fewer patches).

I personally do follow a small routine such as:

Brand new barrel:

A) Clean with Butch's and Sweet's.
B) Fire 5 shots. Clean with Butch's and Sweet's.
C) Fire 10 shots. Clean with Butch's and Sweet's.
D) Fire 50 shots. Clean with Butch's and Sweet's.
E) Fire until groups open. Follow normal cleaning routine.

Has always worked for me!

I do think that for some people a break-in procedure can be more harmful than helpful due to poor cleaning habits. Overcleaning or bad cleaning habits are much worse than having never broken it in from day one.

In summary, there really isn't a set rule unless the manufacturer or someone else has proven it to be beneficial. Just do what works! Honestly if some new barrel design came out and Dave Tooley, Tracy Bartlein or Frank Green told me to stop breaking in these barrels then I would do exactly that.

There was a post on here years ago from one of the barrel manufacturers.

He said he put a barrel break in procedure on his website as people kept phoning him up for one. They were never happy being told that it was unnecessary. He had work to do so he just put something on his site to stop the calls.

Good enough for me

I have broken in dozens upon dozens of new rifles both with factory barrels and aftermarket high end barrels.

I tried the shoot one, clean type BS numerous times and what I found is the rifle still takes 200 rounds or so after those methods for velocity and accuracy to peak. In other words the break in methods are just a waste of time and money. It's not an opinion, it's a matter of fact from my experience breaking in a ton of barrels. You can do a break in procedure if you have nothing else better to do but the barrel is still going to have to fire lap.

My suggestion is to do a light cleaning to remove any machining oils or debris and start with a clean barrel. Just a wet patch soaked in a good cleaner, let it sit a few minutes, do a few passes with a bronze bore brush, a couple more wet patches, and then dry patches. Then shoot the damn thing.

I don't do a set break in anymore. If I have time I might shoot the first two rounds and clean after each one just to see what the barrel is telling me. If I'm not getting any real copper out of it and or the barrel is cleaning real easily I don't waste my time.

The only thing you are breaking in per say is the throat area of the chamber. The nicer the finish the chamber reamer/throater left the faster this will polish and break in. The rougher the throat the more fouling that it can cause and take more rounds for it to polish/break in and the fouling to reduce etc....

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Thanks guys for all the input I appreciate it, the last thing I want to do is negatively affect my rifle, I tend to be a bit OCD with my new toys

David Tubb is very accomplished but he and most people at that level change barrels faster than some I know change their socks. If you have the resources and money then by all means follow what he does. Just not for me.

David Tubb is very accomplished but he and most people at that level change barrels faster than some I know change their socks. If you have the resources and money then by all means follow what he does. Just not for me.

If He and the other NATIONAL CHAMPIONS change barrels faster than some change their socks, I would suggest that it is possibly because they shoot more than the average person. Since they shoot many, many rounds in practice they will naturally have to change barrels quicker. They only change barrels more quickly that an average shooter, because they shoot more rounds in a very short period of time.

deadhorseh.jpg

I do what Kreiger recommends.
Break-In & Cleaning

I have a Kreiger and a Brux barrel and both of them shoot very well after following that procedure.

I have an AAC-SD that I broke in the same way, now with 150 rounds through it, and accuracy started dropping off after 80 rounds or so. I had followed the above, and adequately cleaned it once afterwards, or so I thought.
When I next cleaned it, I let some KG-12 soak in the barrel for 1/2 hour and got some serious flakes of copper out. The accuracy came back then dropped off again after running a few dozen rounds through it.
If this continues with this barrel, I may run a Tubbs Final Finish kit through it before I give up on it.

The point to my story is that premium barrels should require very little attention when they're new, but a factory barrel may need more. I've read reports of factory barrels that shoot very well, too, so obviously there's some variation in mass produced barrels.

Last edited:
I bought a new GAP a few years ago. I broke it in using the bullet method. I start by shooting a bullet, followed by another. Then another. Then a few more. Followed by well.. more. It still shoots better than I can :(. Kind of depressing really. Sometimes, I leave it dirty, just to prove to the gun I can shoot better than it. >:|.

I actually haven't broken in any barrel or gun besides using the bullet method. It would be a waste of my cleaning solvents.

Get about 10 of your favorite fire lapping kits and follow the instructions. Then shoot and clean after every shot with 50 or 60 strokes with JB Bore Paste for the next 100 shots. Then call me for a new barrel. If I sold tooth paste I would recommend brushing your teeth 10 times a day. If I built cars I would say to run it to 100,000 miles as quick as you can then drive normally. Tires should be broken in by spinning 100 cookies in each direction. Les Schwab loves me.

A custom barrel cut by a smooth sharp reamer doesn't need any break in. Just normal use breaks them in if they need it. On my own rifles I just clean before storing for any amount of time.

I don't do a set break in anymore. If I have time I might shoot the first two rounds and clean after each one just to see what the barrel is telling me. If I'm not getting any real copper out of it and or the barrel is cleaning real easily I don't waste my time.

The only thing you are breaking in per say is the throat area of the chamber. The nicer the finish the chamber reamer/throater left the faster this will polish and break in. The rougher the throat the more fouling that it can cause and take more rounds for it to polish/break in and the fouling to reduce etc....

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Exactly...

I personally do not break in my barrels, but have found that the barrel starts to settle in around 200-300 rounds. I will also purchase 300 rounds of new brass when I do a rebarrel, so the first 300 rounds is used for load development, brass fire forming, and to obtain data. In these first 2-300 rounds, I will clean the barrel every 50-100 rounds, once it hits the 2-300 round mark its ready to go. This is as close to a "break in" proceedure as I will do, but I am not a national champion, nor do I play one on TV.

Kirk Roberts

On my last few factory rifle purchases what I do is clean the bore before shooting with (pick your brand) CLP and then dry patch it until they come out dry. Then I head to the range... This is my latest

The first five then a scope adjustment for the final five.
30-06001.jpg

As you can see it took a while before it settled down. I have had some take more and some customs take less, but the above is about average. Once it settles in I’ll do load work up and won’t touch the bore with anything until I start seeing fliers I know I am not responsible for or if the bore was exposed to moisture.

If He and the other NATIONAL CHAMPIONS change barrels faster than some change their socks, I would suggest that it is possibly because they shoot more than the average person. Since they shoot many, many rounds in practice they will naturally have to change barrels quicker. They only change barrels more quickly that an average shooter, because they shoot more rounds in a very short period of time.

He may shoot more, but I guarantee he doesn't shoot a barrel out. I would bet he junks a barrel after about 800 rds

I like to run a cleaning jag with JB Bore Cleaning Compound on it down the barrel about 20-40 times before shooting, then clean the same every time between 3 shot strings while I'm developing the proper handload. By the time I find the perfect load, the barrel is broke in.

Sent down from the heavens using Tapatalk