• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel break in ?

mdslammer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Hi guys,

Merry Christmas to you all.

Been a while since I had to break in a new barrel so I thought I'd check in to see what you guys recommend.

.338 Lapua Magnum. Bartlein .935" twist, 30" finished, 5R rifling.
Berger .300gr OTM pills. 91.5gr. Retumbo.

Thanks.

Mark

Clean it before first firing. Shoot it. Now it’s broken in.

I never believed in any of that magical patch “send 5 then patch, send 5 more” BS.

This. First AI I purchased I followed the recommended break in in the book. All the other barrels I purchased I cleaned then shot. Didn’t notice any difference in accuracy.

Not sure if it’s needed. I do it if I remember. The most important part for me anymore, is getting the round count up past that 150-200 rounds where new barrels stabilize and speed up a little. That’s more of the break in I’m after. It is a good time to get the first firing on new brass also. I did my savage 338 and did see the patches come out cleaner after each pass. It’s been coated in hex boron ever since, so I don’t really know if it cleans better or not.

Shoot one round then clean the barrel until every molecule of copper and carbon have
been removed. Repeat process every round for the first 2952 rounds, after that
you can shoot it normally.

Oh yea I am starting a new gun cleaning products company and can use the cash flow.

Shoot it take it home clean it, its now broken in.

25 years ago, I was ordering a few barrels from a little known barrel maker by the name of Boots Obermeyer. I asked him about his barrel break in procedure and I'll never forget his answer: 'Son, the barrel is the best it'll ever be when it leaves my shop....shoot it'....and that's what I've done with every barrel I've ever screwed on.

I wish I got into the cleaning supplies business long long ago. What a missed opportunity for a cash cow.
Shoot it. It's now broken in. Clean it, see what it tells you.
This "shoot one, clean, shoot two, clean, shoot three, clean" does nothing but separate you from your time and money.
YMMV.

25 years ago, I was ordering a few barrels from a little known barrel maker by the name of Boots Obermeyer. I asked him about his barrel break in procedure and I'll never forget his answer: 'Son, the barrel is the best it'll ever be when it leaves my shop....shoot it'....and that's what I've done with every barrel I've ever screwed on.
It never scanned with me that a premium barrel manufacturer was going to leave it up to the general public to carefully complete the final steps to ensure best performance after it was sent out the door. My current Proof was broken in with 2 each 5 shot groups, tweaked turrets, then swung to 1k and shot 100 rounds on day 1. Over 2200 and cleaned about every 300 and still shoots like a screaming mofo. Already have 2nd Proof sitting in corner for when this one dies....which of course will be due to improper barrel break in.

Reactions: TACC
^^^
This.
Premium barrels should have little to no machining artifacts that would rip off copper.
Production barrels are often a different story- that's where I tend to follow more of what's in Bartlein's article. The Bartleins and other top tier need little to none in my experience.

Premium barrels should have little to no machining artifacts that would rip off copper.
Yes, sir! Agree.

But, If you go along with Frank Green and Bartlein, much of that quality will be imparted by the smith who chambered it and the reamer used. That the copper fouling is a result of roughness in the throat (the lead) and not the rifling down the barrel.

I'm not the most experienced guy here by a very long shot....but Altus is currently spinning me up a BA with a Bartlein MTU MODBB400 barrel and I will be interested to see how smooth they got the throat as shown by break in copper fouling.

Cheers

I miss him!
SH legend!

Yep, saw that before but didn't know he was a member here.

So.....who's going to lend the twatwaffle a gun if he is in need? hahaha

More seriously, using equipment and abusing equipment are two diff things and this guy clearly has no respect for the engineering and craftsmanship that goes into making a rifle and scope.

Oh well, its he's shit and not mine so......