Barrel Chatter in Remington 700 Magpul Edition

Ocean_Dweller

Private
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2020
I bought a Teslong borescope a few weeks ago and this is what the bore looks like in my son's Remington 700 Magpul Edition in .308. For some reason, I've always had a hard time getting this gun to group better than 1MOA with any load I try and I'm pretty sure I found the reason why. From what I can tell, these marks were caused during the actual button rifling process even though I thought these 5r barrels should have been hammer forged. So do you guys think I'm right to assume that these chatter marks are causing accuracy problems or are they normal for a factory barrel?
Snap_001.jpgSnap_002.jpgSnap_003.jpgSnap_004.jpg

Attachments

• Snap_005.jpg
    Snap_005.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 4

celltech

Sergeant of the Hide
PX Member
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2019
Looks like a classic, and cheaply done, button rifled barrel. All my OEM Savage barrels have it, although they look more like the left side of picture 2 than the full on gouges you have. Sucks, but it is what it is.

Reactions: Ledzep

smoothy8500

Private
PX Member
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2012
South Orange County, CA
My 1990's era 700 VS .308 barrel looked like that the whole length. However, it shot pretty good. It's probably from the mandrel advancing as the hammers strike the exterior of the barrel.

rth1800

Two Star General
PX Member
Minuteman
  • Sep 16, 2009
    1MOA is not a bad barrel.

That is a production issue not fire cracking.

As @Rob01 said, Tubb Final Finish will smooth it up. Not sure it will shoot better though.

Factory production light to mid weight Magnum rifles that shoot sub MOA 10 shot groups consistently are damn scarce.

That barrel appears to have far less that 600 full power 300 Mag rds down it.

Reactions: brianf

Steel head

Feral kitten
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Aug 3, 2014
    Washington
    If you want a guaranteed tack driver pony up to a higher end barrel.
    1 moa and a rough barrel are common in production guns.
    Shoot it till it dies or replace it with something nicer.
    You can kill a lot of critters and smack a lot of steel with 1 moa.

Reactions: Ledzep and brianf

celltech

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jan 9, 2019
    To those suggesting Tubb's...just how much would it smooth that out? If it's abrasive enough to remove those gouges I don't think I would want to use it...

mudpig

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Feb 6, 2013
    Tacoma, WA
    If you were happy with the barrel BEFORE you looked at it with the bore scope, then get out there and shoot it and enjoy it. If you weren't then replace it with a custom barrel. I've got 5 factory Savage rifles that shoot lights out and they look a whole lot worse than what you've got there. I'd say just shoot it and have fun. It might foul a bit more than some, but if it shoots who cares what it looks like.

Reactions: Baron23

Jscb1b

Dumbass.
    Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Dec 22, 2018
    Arizona

As @Rob01 said, Tubb Final Finish will smooth it up. Not sure it will shoot better though.

Factory production light to mid weight Magnum rifles that shoot sub MOA 10 shot groups consistently are damn scarce.

It's a. 308.

brianf

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Apr 8, 2010
    NY
    Factory 308 barrel expectations...3/4-1”

Are there better ones out there yes,are there a lot worse heyes

I think bore scopes cause us ocd personality types to look too far down the rabbit hole...pun intended

as long as it’s consistent everyday

and cold clean bore is repeatable

I’d shoot it and not look back.

true difference at 1k between 1/2 moa and 1 moa is not going to be noticed unless you can read the wind in 1/2mph increments...I know I can’t

1moaoff

Safe space provider? Nope!!!
    Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Nov 16, 2008
    cincinnati, ohio

I typed that and it didn't read correctly...

FisherT&C

Barrel Work for Bolt Actions
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jan 1, 2020
    Montana
    Just bedding the recoil lug could tighten it up. The barrel looks to have common tool marks for a production rifle.

Ledzep

Chancellor
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Jun 9, 2009
    NE
    Check the obvious first. Tight scope mounts, solid bedding/stock fit, making contact with both lugs (doesn't have to be 100%, just contact on both)... If that checks out, and you want better performance, get a new higher quality barrel spun up.

rth1800

Two Star General
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Sep 16, 2009
    Looking those pictures over I would say it cannot be fixed. Shoot it if acceptable, replace it if not. You can spend the price of a new barrel trying to sort it out with no chance of success.

Reactions: Ledzep