• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel Chatter in Remington 700 Magpul Edition

Ocean_Dweller

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2020
I bought a Teslong borescope a few weeks ago and this is what the bore looks like in my son's Remington 700 Magpul Edition in .308. For some reason, I've always had a hard time getting this gun to group better than 1MOA with any load I try and I'm pretty sure I found the reason why. From what I can tell, these marks were caused during the actual button rifling process even though I thought these 5r barrels should have been hammer forged. So do you guys think I'm right to assume that these chatter marks are causing accuracy problems or are they normal for a factory barrel?
Snap_001.jpg
Snap_002.jpg
Snap_003.jpg
Snap_004.jpg

Attachments

• Snap_005.jpg
    Snap_005.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 48
Looks like a classic, and cheaply done, button rifled barrel. All my OEM Savage barrels have it, although they look more like the left side of picture 2 than the full on gouges you have. Sucks, but it is what it is.

Reactions: Ledzep
My 1990's era 700 VS .308 barrel looked like that the whole length. However, it shot pretty good. It's probably from the mandrel advancing as the hammers strike the exterior of the barrel.

Up to 3 inches into barrel is more like fire cracking from the firing process.

1MOA is not a bad barrel.

That is a production issue not fire cracking.

As @Rob01 said, Tubb Final Finish will smooth it up. Not sure it will shoot better though.

Factory production light to mid weight Magnum rifles that shoot sub MOA 10 shot groups consistently are damn scarce.

That barrel appears to have far less that 600 full power 300 Mag rds down it.

Reactions: brianf
If you want a guaranteed tack driver pony up to a higher end barrel.
1 moa and a rough barrel are common in production guns.
Shoot it till it dies or replace it with something nicer.
You can kill a lot of critters and smack a lot of steel with 1 moa.

Reactions: Ledzep and brianf
To those suggesting Tubb's...just how much would it smooth that out? If it's abrasive enough to remove those gouges I don't think I would want to use it...

If you were happy with the barrel BEFORE you looked at it with the bore scope, then get out there and shoot it and enjoy it. If you weren't then replace it with a custom barrel. I've got 5 factory Savage rifles that shoot lights out and they look a whole lot worse than what you've got there. I'd say just shoot it and have fun. It might foul a bit more than some, but if it shoots who cares what it looks like.

Reactions: Baron23

As @Rob01 said, Tubb Final Finish will smooth it up. Not sure it will shoot better though.

Factory production light to mid weight Magnum rifles that shoot sub MOA 10 shot groups consistently are damn scarce.

It's a. 308.

Factory 308 barrel expectations...3/4-1”

Are there better ones out there yes,are there a lot worse heyes

I think bore scopes cause us ocd personality types to look too far down the rabbit hole...pun intended

as long as it’s consistent everyday

and cold clean bore is repeatable

I’d shoot it and not look back.

true difference at 1k between 1/2 moa and 1 moa is not going to be noticed unless you can read the wind in 1/2mph increments...I know I can’t

I typed that and it didn't read correctly...

Just bedding the recoil lug could tighten it up. The barrel looks to have common tool marks for a production rifle.

Check the obvious first. Tight scope mounts, solid bedding/stock fit, making contact with both lugs (doesn't have to be 100%, just contact on both)... If that checks out, and you want better performance, get a new higher quality barrel spun up.

Looking those pictures over I would say it cannot be fixed. Shoot it if acceptable, replace it if not. You can spend the price of a new barrel trying to sort it out with no chance of success.

Reactions: Ledzep