• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel cleaning? How bad does this look to you?

Cascade Precision

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2008
Klamath Falls, OR
I have been working on load development, and narrowing down powder and charge. I know there is a TON of discussion on cleaning, how to clean, how not to clean, what rod, chemicals, mothers spit, all that jazz.

I have been cleaning with Hoppes Nitro Solvent for powder, and have been tossing around whether I need to really really really get after copper fouling.

SPECS: Savage 10-FCP H-S stock, stock barrel

Here is what I can see in the fire-side of the barrel.
36761_1224993245353_1844673127_469132_3975031_n.jpg

I can see what looks like copper fouling. How aggressive do I need to be with this. This is the first time I have EVER seen this in my muzzle.

Thanks, and sorry for any and all debate that arises.

Ogreshooter

Re: Barrel cleaning? How bad does this look to you?

How does it shoot? If it still shoot to your satisfaction then why bother? You need to worry about carbon long before ever worrying about copper.

Cleaning is over rated and most do it wrong anyway causing more harm then good. Shoot it until accuracy drops off them clean for carbon and be done with it. That could be anywhere from a couple hundred rounds to over 1000, some more then that.

I have a gun that looks the same way, and it shot lights out... I ended up runnin some barnes cr-10 through it (wicked stuff) to clean the copper, and my accuracy actually dropped off. So if it ain't broke don't fix it.

If you decide you need to clean out the copper, use KG12 on some patches wrapped around a parker hale jag. Short stroke a couple of them back and forth while working a few inches at a time towards the muzzle. Copper no more, all wthout beating up the crown and dragging a brush across it. Over 600+ rounds through my 5R and it hasn't seen a copper/bronze brush yet and never will. Shoots .5s easily and there are many .3s and a few .2s in the log book... lets me know its working.

Well, as far as satisfaction, it shoots well, and it shoots better on some days. I have posted some 3/4" 200 yard groups (7-10 shots per group). So I am down to finding that middle ground it loves most.

This is kind of what I thought. I run some hoppes patches through it, let it set, run a few patches till they come out clean. If they dont, rinse, lather, repeat.

Looks like I will continue my regimine as it seems to produce best barrel life.

ogreshooter,
I have the same rifle as you at first I cleaned all the cooper out of the barrel and it shot like crap. Mine now looks like yours and shoots approx 0.5moa out to 300yds. I now use just a couple of patches with Hoppes solvent and call it good. Clean bore shot is very predictable, the next group is spot on. I am now a firm believer in not over cleaning.

Looks fine to me. If it shoots great don't sweat it. All of the rifles I shoot regular pretty much look the same and shoot fine. I generally do a light clean after every trip to the range, but rarely if ever try to get "everything" out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How does it shoot? If it still shoot to your satisfaction then why bother? You need to worry about carbon long before ever worrying about copper.

Cleaning is over rated and most do it wrong anyway causing more harm then good. Shoot it until accuracy drops off them clean for carbon and be done with it. That could be anywhere from a couple hundred rounds to over 1000, some more then that.
</div></div>

+1 Exactly

I shoot my HS Precision .308 until the accuracy starts to fall off. Then I give it a light cleaning for carbon only, which I am sure gets almost nothing out from the 1500+ rounds since the last such cleaning, but after doing so, the accuracy returns for another 1500+ rounds. I would only give it a more thorough cleaning if it gets wet, or if I am not going to shoot it for a while.

I had a Remmy barrel that would do that. Everytime I would clean the copper out it would take somewhere around 12-15 shots for it to "dial in"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Cleaning is over rated and <span style="font-weight: bold">most do it wrong anyway</span> causing more harm then good. Shoot it until accuracy drops off them clean for carbon and be done with it. That could be anywhere from a couple hundred rounds to over 1000, some more then that.
</div></div>

Right on the money..................

Not a damn thing wrong with proper cleaning. All the 1/4 MOA rifles will not shoot 1/4 MOA with a fouled barrel. You want benchrest rifle groups you have to clean properly. I recommend Butches a good bore guide and a coated cleaning rod. Give the folks at Sinclair a call.

i recently started to clean mine to the shiny metal after every session. yes, it takes a while- #9, then benchrest, then shooters choice copper if needed, but i found out that after a few sessions of thorough cleaning, my barrel hardly copper fouls anymore....
accuracy wise, best groups usually happen after a very minimal number of shots (fouling)...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dpreston</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a gun that looks the same way, and it shot lights out... I ended up runnin some barnes cr-10 through it (wicked stuff) to clean the copper, and my accuracy actually dropped off. So if it ain't broke don't fix it. </div></div>
I had the same experience with my TRG 22 and now only clean it when accuracy falls off.