• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel Contour

GardDog

LT
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2009
New Orleans
I'm piecing together a .260 on a Rem 700 SA bare action. Upon completion, it will be given to my 12 year old son as a deer / target rifle. I want to maximize the potential for accuracy, while not going too heavy. I've decided on a Bartlein 5R in 8.5 twist. I reviewed their website and I am thinking about going with the Light Palma contour.

Thoughts from those that know more than me about the contours? Would cutting a Light Palma contour barrel down to 22" be detrimental? Would the Bull Sporter yield similar accuracy as the LP? Any pictures of a #8 LV Modified?

Re: Barrel Contour

So cutting a Light Palma to 22" isn't sacrilege? With the blank coming out at 30", I was worried that I was messing up a good thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GardDog223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm piecing together a .260 on a Rem 700 SA bare action. Upon completion, it will be given to my 12 year old son as a deer / target rifle. I want to maximize the potential for accuracy, while not going too heavy. I've decided on a Bartlein 5R in 8.5 twist. I reviewed their website and I am thinking about going with the Light Palma contour.

Thoughts from those that know more than me about the contours? Would cutting a Light Palma contour barrel down to 22" be detrimental? Would the Bull Sporter yield similar accuracy as the LP? Any pictures of a #8 LV Modified? </div></div>

Tossing the kid that much contour,will do him no favors and will actually cost him deeply in practicality. The length is a step in the right direction.

Skin the contour multiple notches and stock it to follow suit,with balance/handling keenly in mind. He'll thank you and rightfully so.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FreshKills</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GardDog223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm piecing together a .260 on a Rem 700 SA bare action. Upon completion, it will be given to my 12 year old son as a deer / target rifle. I want to maximize the potential for accuracy, while not going too heavy. I've decided on a Bartlein 5R in 8.5 twist. I reviewed their website and I am thinking about going with the Light Palma contour.

Thoughts from those that know more than me about the contours? Would cutting a Light Palma contour barrel down to 22" be detrimental? Would the Bull Sporter yield similar accuracy as the LP? Any pictures of a #8 LV Modified? </div></div>

Tossing the kid that much contour,will do him no favors and will actually cost him deeply in practicality. The length is a step in the right direction.

Skin the contour multiple notches and stock it to follow suit,with balance/handling keenly in mind. He'll thank you and rightfully so. </div></div>

I agree. A light Palma ain't much under a Rem varmint. A Rem. mag sporter dupe, cut to 22", would be plenty for a 12 yo, and not give up a thing in accuracy.

I made my 12 year old son and wife a hunting rifle with a light palma barrel. Light palma is about 1.5lbs heavier than a sporter if I recall correctly. It was a bit heavy for them to hunt with. Out west, we walk a lot, so I decided to put sporter barrels on and they are both much happier with their rifles. Guess it depends on what you will be doing most with the rifle: light palma is great for comps and would be fine to hunt with if you don't have to walk a lot. Of course, it would also be great for hunting if you don't mind lugging his rifle for him. I certainly know about that.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I made my 12 year old son and wife a hunting rifle with a light palma barrel. Light palma is about 1.5lbs heavier than a sporter if I recall correctly. It was a bit heavy for them to hunt with. Out west, we walk a lot, so I decided to put sporter barrels on and they are both much happier with their rifles. Guess it depends on what you will be doing most with the rifle: light palma is great for comps and would be fine to hunt with if you don't have to walk a lot. Of course, it would also be great for hunting if you don't mind lugging his rifle for him. I certainly know about that.
smile.gif
</div></div>

Good info. Where we hunt, the farthest walk is maybe 100 yards from the logging road to the stand. Nothing he can't handle.

Friend of mine was running a Broughton #5 lt varmint sporter on a 260. Shot as well as my heavier contour, was easier to carry, but did heat up faster so noticed mirage off barrel faster. Don't see rifle you are building being used all that much in a rapid fire situation so......I'd suggest going with Bartlein #3 hvy sporter at 22".

A high quality tube in a typical Rem Sporter contour,will do everything there is. That of course assuming a good handle and sane glass.

Building a kid a one-dimensional niche rifle of the heavy ilk,is a road to frustration for all parties.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FreshKills</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A high quality tube in a typical Rem Sporter contour,will do everything there is. That of course assuming a good handle and sane glass.

Building a kid a one-dimensional niche rifle of the heavy ilk,is a road to frustration for all parties. </div></div>

hmmm, strangely familiar logic & prose...
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FreshKills</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A high quality tube in a typical Rem Sporter contour,will do everything there is. That of course assuming a good handle and sane glass.

Building a kid a one-dimensional niche rifle of the heavy ilk,is a road to frustration for all parties. </div></div>

spot on.

I'd build it with the same contour (or close) as the sporter barrel on a Model 7. My oldest daughter (12) shoots one in .243 and it is 20" and plenty of deer rifle in the 250 or less range in her hands. Makes for a very nice light and manageable gun, especially for a child. Balances well and the perfect length for her. Don't go crazy on the optics would be my other advice. I put a Leupold 2.5-8 on hers and it fits the package very well in size and magnification.

I've one of everything and a couple of most. Light done right,simply rules.