• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Barrel diameter Vs. Accuracy?

treetrimmer_01

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2012
Shonkin, MT
I'm building a 338 ultra mag that I want to make it lightweight for hunting but also want it to make it accurate as possible. Where does accuracy really start to suffer as diameter drops. this will be a strictly cold bore shot gun, unless he unlikely event of a follow up shot on game is presented.

Thanks

Re: Barrel diameter Vs. Accuracy?

A lot depends on the length of the barrel as well. The shorter you make it the smaller the diameter can be. A long thin whippy barrel is harder to find an accurate load for than a short fat one, or a shorter thin one. How far are you planning on shooting? If you can keep the barrel short there isn't any reason you can't keep the barrel at varmint or lighter diameter.

Frank

I would like to be able to have a decent shot at coyotes out to 1000 (this may be a pipe dream tho. lol)

light palma contour. The palma contours are designed to save weight without affecting accuracy.

I would go with a fluted medium palma, best of both worlds, light and stiff.
hope this helps.

Have a #4 Hart at 26" plus 3 port brake and accuracy is not a problem(338 edge).

Total gun gun weight is 8lbs- 2oz with 2.5 x 10 x 32 NF.

Defensive Edge built it.