• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel length question

TattooBlade

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2011
San Antonio, TX
I am picking up a Remington R5 Milspec soon and have an option between a 20" that's threaded or a 24" that's not. Not sure I'll ever do the whole suppressor thing, but who knows. Any major difference in accuracy or performance between the two? Thanks!

Re: Barrel length question

I would DEFINETLY go with the 24". Your velocity will be a bit higher and your stick will have more opportunity to stabilize the bullet a little better. If your worried about threading one, it's no biggy or expensive. What caliber ?

Depends on the caliber and what you intend to do with the rifle. Were I going to get a rifle to sling over my shoulder and drag through the woods I would get the 20 inch barrel. Were I looking for rifle to that would see more range time then field time then I'd get the 24 inch barrel. A 20 inch barrel is more then enough barrel to get 308 out to the 1000 yards mark. Hell I do it with a 18 inch barrel. So don't let any one tell you that you have to have a long barrel, it simply isn't the case.

My 2 cents is I would go with a 20 incher in any situation. Range and field it does great. I have a Savage that I sent off to Tornado Tech and had them cut it down to 20" and thread it. Doing so improved my accuracy and my velocity is still above book.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Depends on the caliber and what you intend to do with the rifle. Were I going to get a rifle to sling over my shoulder and drag through the woods I would get the 20 inch barrel. Were I looking for rifle to that would see more range time then field time then I'd get the 24 inch barrel. A 20 inch barrel is more then enough barrel to get 308 out to the 1000 yards mark. Hell I do it with a 18 inch barrel. So don't let any one tell you that you have to have a long barrel, it simply isn't the case. </div></div>This is true. You really don't loose that much performance from the 20 inch tube versus the 24 inch one. Well, that is as long as your not shooting magnum rounds. Takes a little longer to burn that powder before the bullet leaves the end of the barrel. I tend to like the 20" barrels myself.

Im assuming your talking about a 308? 24 has higher vloz higher chamber pressure longer barrel time and totally different harmonics,

I have a 20 with thread, i like it not for the can but i can put muzzle brake on out of box, but i will agree a gunsmith with a head on his shoulders can thread a barrel cost fom my exp. is about 80-120.00 and can make u a nice guard i hope for that

using quick loader and a reference of a 308 with 44.5 grains of reloader 15 and 168 bthp with cci primers

the difference is.....

24"
max chamber pressure
4507 bar
65375 psi

7483 psi muzzle press

1.140 ms barrel time

2734 fps mlz vloz

4050 joules 2736 ft-lbs
99% powder burn

i agree that 24" my give time to better stabilize, but 1000yrds not a problem if you do your part at the trigger end with a 20"

20"
max chamber pressure
3737 bar
54197 psi

9468 psi muzzel press

1.067 ms barrel time

2603 fps mlz vloz

3428 joules 2528 ft-lbs
97% powder burn

and again this just for reference, depending where you are in the world these numbers will change with temp, humidity, bar pressure, elev..... but change will be consisstant between the different barrel lengths

With .308 I would go 20inch, You do not need a long barrel, my kids shoots 600yd fclass shoots and does very well. Her barrel is only 14.5 inch. Not the best tool for the job but holds it own.

What is your intended use? Ranges? Do you hand load?

FYI all factors being equal a shorter barrel is actually slightly more accurate (really should be precise instead) because it is stiffer.

I took my 5r down to 20 with a QD brake for a suppressor. No regrets.

I chrono'd my 26" 700 PSS in 308 against my 16" 308 LAR-8 using fed gold match. The difference was 75 fps. For me the extra barrel length is not worth it. I'd go 20"

I shoot a 20" Remington short tactical in .308 1:12 twist. It performs very well with match grade ammunition. I first used 175gr now I have been using 168 SMK HPBT. I have not seen a reason to go to a longer barrle yet. I shoot out to 800 yards. It seems so much better balanced easier movement with rifle. I say go 20" and don't look back.

I shoot a Remington 700 5R in 308 Win with a barrel that had been cut to 18.5". Elevation required with Hornady Superformance 178gr ammunition at 1000 yards (KD range) was 9.8 mils in the middle of summer.

In other words go with 20", you're not giving up anything significant to the 24" version as long as we are talking about 308 Win.

Thanks for all the great info and sorry for not included more facts!

Yes 308. Mostly a range gun with an occassional trip after hogs or deer. I will be making contact with the seller tomorrow and once I get eyes and hands on both I'll make a decision.

Thanks again!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cowboy1978</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im assuming your talking about a 308? 24 has higher vloz higher chamber pressure longer barrel time and totally different harmonics,

I have a 20 with thread, i like it not for the can but i can put muzzle brake on out of box, but i will agree a gunsmith with a head on his shoulders can thread a barrel cost fom my exp. is about 80-120.00 and can make u a nice guard i hope for that

using quick loader and a reference of a 308 with 44.5 grains of reloader 15 and 168 bthp with cci primers

the difference is.....

24"
max chamber pressure
4507 bar
65375 psi

7483 psi muzzle press

1.140 ms barrel time

2734 fps mlz vloz

4050 joules 2736 ft-lbs
99% powder burn

i agree that 24" my give time to better stabilize, but 1000yrds not a problem if you do your part at the trigger end with a 20"

20"
max chamber pressure
3737 bar
54197 psi

9468 psi muzzel press

1.067 ms barrel time

2603 fps mlz vloz

3428 joules 2528 ft-lbs
97% powder burn

and again this just for reference, depending where you are in the world these numbers will change with temp, humidity, bar pressure, elev..... but change will be consisstant between the different barrel lengths </div></div>

Barrel length has no relation to max chamber pressure. Pressure has already peaked and beginning to drop in the first 4" or so of bullet travel in the barrel.

I'd go with the shorter barrel for the .308...

<span style="font-style: italic"> Shorter barrels are actually often more accurate than their longer counterparts. A rifle barrel is a cantilevered beam and as such they sag. More sag results in more whip and vibration as the bullet travels down the bore. Barrel sag induces longitudinal stress that can cause stringing of shots. Using a shorter, heavier barrel minimizes reduces stress and accuracy-robbing barrel vibration. A shorter barrel is stiffer and vibrates at a less</span>

The full article:

http://www.tacticaloperations.com/SWATbarrel/

Somebody should clue in those 1000 yard F Class and Palma guys that they should get rid of the inaccurate 30" barrels and get 18 inchers!
laugh.gif
grin.gif

I just competed in the "F" class nats.Sept. ..Lodi Wi...and did not see a short barrel,either in FTR or F class....mine was 32"...most Palma shooters use a 30+
Maybe the Reason being.... bullet speed is an advantage....
Not opinon but reality.
Now for handling quickness...short barrels and pistols.
bill larson

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Somebody should clue in those 1000 yard F Class and Palma guys that they should get rid of the inaccurate 30" barrels and get 18 inchers!
laugh.gif
grin.gif
</div></div>

Rob, are those guys doing that to get every ounce of velocity out out of the rifles?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cowboy1978</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im assuming your talking about a 308? 24 has higher vloz higher chamber pressure longer barrel time and totally different harmonics,

the difference is.....

24"
max chamber pressure
4507 bar
65375 psi

7483 psi muzzle press

1.140 ms barrel time

2734 fps mlz vloz

4050 joules 2736 ft-lbs
99% powder burn

20"
max chamber pressure
3737 bar
54197 psi

9468 psi muzzel press

1.067 ms barrel time

2603 fps mlz vloz

3428 joules 2528 ft-lbs
97% powder burn

and again this just for reference, depending where you are in the world these numbers will change with temp, humidity, bar pressure, elev..... but change will be consisstant between the different barrel lengths </div></div>

Barrel length has no relation to max chamber pressure. Pressure has already peaked and beginning to drop in the first 4" or so of bullet travel in the barrel. </div></div>

Honestly I would agree but I'm just typing down what the program said. Honestly I don't know . But what I do know is I follow the program and as long as the perameters for my shooting are inputed correct. Ie heat humity so on.. My muzzle veloz and others are pretty close so what I put up is what program said

Ask Bill about that. I don't shoot either sport. Just thought it was funny about the talk about short barrels being more accurate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ask Bill about that. I don't shoot either sport. Just thought it was funny about the talk about short barrels being more accurate. </div></div>

make no mistake please, i shot a 20 but im not saying its a better than the 24, im just stating that the 20 inch will reach 1000 yards, the longer is the better, the twist rate comes in to play as well im a 20 inch with a 1:10 twist where most of the 20's are 1:12 im just stating theirs pro's and cons. but i will say this, their is suck thing as too long although what that is depends on the cal and the load.

Typical 308Win pressure/velocity curves inside the barrel, note pressure peaks around 1.5" bullet travel. Just FYI.

308.jpg