• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Barrel life of 1 in 6.5 twist 223 barrels vs 1-8

camelback

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2006
ky
Looking at building a F/TR rifle in 223 mostly looking for a practice rifle and shooting to 600. But thought about shooting to 1k and was looking at a 1-6.5 twist barrel that was available now. Question is would it give a much shorter barrel life than a 1-8 or 1-7. Not really planning on shooting the 90's which require this twist. Also will I see negative impact on shooting bullets in the 70-80 grain range with this fast a twist. I was looking to build on a 1-8 twist but this barrel is available now versus a 6 month plus lead time on a 1-8. Barrel is a from a premium manufacturer. Would appreciate your thoughts.

Re: Barrel life of 1 in 6.5 twist 223 barrels vs 1-8

Do you have a 308? if you do, shoot to 1000 with that. It cost close to the same to reload each the .223 and .308.

i doubt you'll see much diff in barrel life. i bought a 1-7" Hart just like that (it was in stock and available) and would do it again. it's a shooter. granted, 1-8" is where it's at, and i run that twist also, but the 1-7" twist gives up little.

the downside is 1-6.5" may nuke some lightweight varmint bullets at warp speed and faster twists don't do so well with cheap bullets that may not be as concentric as match bullets.

"...cheap bullets that may not be as concentric as match bullets."

+1

Good luck

Jerry

Thanks for the insights, got plenty in the 308,6.5 and 6mm range to play with and got a 223 with a 1-14 inch twist that drives tacks with 52gr SMK's. Really just trying something new. Was told that 1-8 was the way to go with 69-80 grain that I'm looking to shoot with this thing. Had a discussion with someone that was dead set against the 1-6.5 inch twist said it was to quick and premium accuracy went away real quick versus the 1-8 twist. I was wondering if anyone had seen that in a 1-6.5 where it shot very well and at 1-2k saw it the open up another 1/4 to 1/2 inch in grouping. He compared barrel life to the 6.5-284 or worse. I just don't see that myself at least not that bad in a 223. Anybody seen this?