• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel Life spreadsheet powder temps?

Grump

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2008
So. Utah
I think it was from somewhere herd on the hide that I found out a few months ago about an "Accurate Barrel Life" calculator spreadsheet that would output the number of rounds to be expected before accuracy dropoff.

Quite a few powders are listed in the "comment" for the cell with the powder burn temp value. They appear to be in no particular order.

I finally got that "protected" cell's comment copied into a word processor so I could read the whole thing. Interesting.

Copied the cleaned up info (with a tab between powder name and numeric value, erasing all the => signs) and put it back into a spreadsheet.

Alphabetical sort by maker was nice, but sorting by temp was an eye-opener.

Varget's value of 4040 is three spaces from the hottest (VV-N540 at 4100).

Anyone noticing shorter barrel life with Varget compared to, say, H4895? Its value is 3930.

Re: Barrel Life spreadsheet powder temps?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">put down the crack pipe and back away from the keyboard........</div></div>

BOLTRIPPER never has liked science. This is proven technology, it can tell you barrel life down to the round. Hater
wink.gif

So many factors......really it's pointless. Just shoot until accuracy is dead, replace tube and repeat.

So many factors......really it's pointless. Just shoot until accuracy is dead, replace tube and repeat.

there is technology to bring back accuracy, but it is limited and short lived.

...i'm looking for my polished chicken bones and rabbits foot

Dont tell gunfighter14e2 theres a barrel life chart for his 300wm,he is over 5k and shoots 1moa and less..

The spreadsheet does seem to be oriented towards finding the beginning of accuracy drop-off...maybe the first loss of .1 MOA...

No, that's the first loss of .0290697644186 Mil of accuracy.

Gotta remember where I'm at.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grump</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think it was from somewhere herd on the hide that I found out a few months ago about an "Accurate Barrel Life" calculator spreadsheet that would output the number of rounds to be expected before accuracy dropoff.

Quite a few powders are listed in the "comment" for the cell with the powder burn temp value. They appear to be in no particular order.

I finally got that "protected" cell's comment copied into a word processor so I could read the whole thing. Interesting.

Copied the cleaned up info (with a tab between powder name and numeric value, erasing all the => signs) and put it back into a spreadsheet.

Alphabetical sort by maker was nice, but sorting by temp was an eye-opener.

Varget's value of 4040 is three spaces from the hottest (VV-N540 at 4100).

Anyone noticing shorter barrel life with Varget compared to, say, H4895? Its value is 3930. </div></div>

Grump, this does sound like an interesting read, do you have a link to the thread? And on a side note,did you see the article in the Dec. "Handloader" magazine on "the effects of components on accuracy"... if you didn't try to find a copy, very good article.

Grump
Thanks for looking and the link, I'll go get a soda and start looking!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ASM1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dont tell gunfighter14e2 theres a barrel life chart for his 300wm,he is over 5k and shoots 1moa and less.. </div></div>

That's only because he takes BOLTRIPPER's polished chicken bones, and grounds them into a fine powder. Then inserts said powder into every 100th round, mixed with the powder in the case. This leaves a magical smooth finish that takes EXACTLY 100 rounds to wear off, thus protecting/ extending his barrel life tremendously.

It's cutting edge stuff, I don't blame anyone if they haven't heard of it...